Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Citsonga

Nashville Art School Will Purge All Non-Christian Faculty Now That It Has Been Taken Over by a Religious University

Recommended Posts



Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.



Because Christians are so persecuted in Tennessee.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it makes perfect sense. They clearly care for their students.

 

They do not want students to miss out on education for lack of teachers once in heaven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as they are a private school with private funding, it’s their right to hire whoever they want and to establish their criteria for employment. Now if the want to place a copy of the 10 Commandments in a public school, or require all teachers in a public school to be Christians, that’s an entirely different issue.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any instructors not found to be Christians will be publicly burned at the stake. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In America do the anti-discrimination laws not apply to private companies? Could they say "we hate blacks, and therefore all black staff will fired"? Or is it that certain aspects are covered but not all? 

Wonder what it would be like if an atheist University purchased a Christian school and said "all Christian staff will be fired, thats just our policy"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Wertbag said:

In America do the anti-discrimination laws not apply to private companies? Could they say "we hate blacks, and therefore all black staff will fired"? Or is it that certain aspects are covered but not all? 

Wonder what it would be like if an atheist University purchased a Christian school and said "all Christian staff will be fired, thats just our policy"?

Since the "college" is under the umbrella of a non-profit, the laws do not apply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2020 at 6:35 PM, Geezer said:

As long as they are a private school with private funding, it’s their right to hire whoever they want and to establish their criteria for employment. Now if the want to place a copy of the 10 Commandments in a public school, or require all teachers in a public school to be Christians, that’s an entirely different issue.

 

In general, I agree. What sucks about this scenario, though, is that it's not as simple as just having an application rejected by a private school. We're talking about people who have been working at this school for years but facing the probability of being terminated not because of performance but because of the preferences another institution in a merger. It is what it is, of course, and plenty people have faced sucky situations (myself included), but this is certainly unfair to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is common for a company or institution to buy out another entity. It is also common for such transactions to be about the assets of the entity being purchased. Employees, of purchased entities,  are not always viewed as assets. The purpose of such acquisitions is to make the surviving entity larger and more profitable. Termination of the purchased entities employees is a common practice.

 

Many religious based entities require their employees to not only be Christians but also to be affiliated with a specific denomination or version of a specific religion.  And the law says all of that is okay. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wertbag said:

In America do the anti-discrimination laws not apply to private companies? Could they say "we hate blacks, and therefore all black staff will fired"? Or is it that certain aspects are covered but not all? 

Wonder what it would be like if an atheist University purchased a Christian school and said "all Christian staff will be fired, thats just our policy"?

     Religious organizations are allowed to discriminate on the basis of religion.  So, in this case, since they're a xian non-profit organization they can go ahead and make sure that all their employees are proper xians (of their particular brand of xianity if that's important to them and we all know that usually is the case).  They would have a much more difficult time if this were race based discrimination but if they were determined they would find just find "problems" with those employees and push them out over time (and probably keep some "token" employees in a few lousy positions in case there were inquiries).

 

          mwc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mwc said:

They would have a much more difficult time if this were race based discrimination but if they were determined they would find just find "problems" with those employees

Wonder what takes precedence when its religious freedom verse discrimination? Can they say racism is part of religion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wertbag said:

Wonder what takes precedence when its religious freedom verse discrimination? Can they say racism is part of religion?

     As far as I know, no.  Race is protected here.  I imagine they've tried but they tend to be a bit more sneaky as I I tried to point out.  They just push "those" people out in other ways that they would argue aren't race based (ie. they were bad at their jobs, had a bad attitude, make life bad for them until they leave of their own accord, etc.).  I would think that religion as a cover for racism is alive and well but more than likely that's among hate groups and most sane folks would not want to join up to test their rights (although, for some reason, I seem to recall something about someone doing just that...probably to force the issue I would think).

 

          mwc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Geezer said:

It is common for a company or institution to buy out another entity. It is also common for such transactions to be about the assets of the entity being purchased. Employees, of purchased entities,  are not always viewed as assets. The purpose of such acquisitions is to make the surviving entity larger and more profitable. Termination of the purchased entities employees is a common practice.

 

Many religious based entities require their employees to not only be Christians but also to be affiliated with a specific denomination or version of a specific religion.  And the law says all of that is okay. 

 

No one is disputing that. It still doesn't change the fact that it's sucky and unfair to the faculty and students, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New broom and all that. Happens every day and usually has nothing to do with religion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wertbag said:

Wonder what takes precedence when its religious freedom verse discrimination? Can they say racism is part of religion?

   

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a test case on this. Invent a church in which racial discrimination is a core belief. Jump through all the necessary hoops to show that such a church has members and that their racist beliefs are central to it's dogma. Do everything that the IRS and any other government entity would require to show that this church is legitimate. Then goad someone into taking them to court, and see what the court does.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was the famous case of Masterpiece Cakes refusing service to a gay wedding. The human rights commission found it was discrimination, but the supreme Court found the commission was hostile to religious views so ruled against them. Sadly that meant that no consideration was given to religious freedom verse discrimination. 

A second case was a flower shop who refused to sell flowers to a gay wedding. The court said flowers weren't religious, weren't a form of speech and no one would think they were advocates of gay lifestyle. They took the case to the high court on grounds they were shown hostility, but this was thrown out. 

Still not clear which takes precedence in law. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet some of the  non-religious college staff there have been talking up Jesus. :) 

 

One could park outside the door with a picket sign but maybe the best option is to just take a shit in your classroom and go find another job.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Citsonga said:

Maybe true but I don't like the way the writer lays it out.  One university has made this change, therefore Prager U, who are unrelated to the event, are wrong...  Prager U haven't even posted in support of the firings.

For it to be contradictory you would need the person to have both asked for freedom of speech/religion and actively tried to suppress it.  I'm sure such statements have been made, but the example given wasn't a good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also depends on whether the nonprofit takes any government funding.  If they do, they can't discriminate. But I understand even that is being contested at this time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wertbag said:

Maybe true but I don't like the way the writer lays it out.  One university has made this change, therefore Prager U, who are unrelated to the event, are wrong...  Prager U haven't even posted in support of the firings.

For it to be contradictory you would need the person to have both asked for freedom of speech/religion and actively tried to suppress it.  I'm sure such statements have been made, but the example given wasn't a good one.

 

Yeah, I agree that it could've had a better example, but there's no question that a lot of Christians are hypocritical in exactly that manner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.