Goodbye Jesus

On my way out...

AcrobaticDetective

Hi everyone, 

I am a lifelong Catholic who has recently decided that religion (at the very least) is man made. I went from carrying a rosary everywhere I went to reading the God Delusion in one weekend. I was watching a documentary on the Greek gods, and just like that I was overwhelmed with the realization that my God was no different than any other. That my scripture was no more inspired than any other. 

I cant see my religion (any religion) as faith any more. All I can see now is a sort of mob like swelling of "beliefs." Us vs. them. We're righteous. They're not. 

Anyways...nice to meet all of you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AcrobaticDetective said:

Hi everyone, 

I am a lifelong Catholic who has recently decided that religion (at the very least) is man made. I went from carrying a rosary everywhere I went to reading the God Delusion in one weekend. I was watching a documentary on the Greek gods, and just like that I was overwhelmed with the realization that my God was no different than any other. That my scripture was no more inspired than any other. 

I cant see my religion (any religion) as faith any more. All I can see now is a sort of mob like swelling of "beliefs." Us vs. them. We're righteous. They're not. 

Welcome aboard AcrobaticDetective!  So glad you joined us. Looking forward to hearing more from you! You've come to the right place! As we say here at E-xc, Welcome home! 

• Like 2

Welcome. Stick around and join in the discussions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AcrobaticDetective said:

Hi everyone, 

Welcome! 

You are correct. Many more details go into supporting your overall conclusion. Just ask around, people will orient you to the rabbit hole.....

• Like 1

Welcome!  Glad you’re here.  I look forward to hearing more from you.

• Like 1

So true AcrobaticDetective. Every religion past and present believed or believes that their god or gods are the real ones and I think most are like christianity thinking that all other gods are false. Interestingly their god/gods all do absolutely nothing and yet most or all religions believe they have a god/gods that is actually doing things for them or to them. As the world gets smaller and science reveals more and more about how things work it becomes more difficult to understand how people hold to these beliefs but it does demonstrate that people make decisions that circumvent their "god given" ability to reason when they feel a need to. Anyhow it's certainly true that these gods are made up so you are on the right path for recognizing and accepting that and courageous for going against the grain. Good for you!

• Like 2

I too read the God Delusion in the space of a few days and poof, whatever remained of my belief literally disappeared overnight. 

Welcome to what I refer to as the free world :)

• Like 1

Welcome Acrobatic Detective! Glad to have you here!

I was a Lutheran, Which is about the closest to the Catholic tradition among the protestants.

Sounds like you came to some of the same conclusions I did, It's so much better to be free now isn't it?

• Like 1

On February 3, 2020 at 11:13 PM, AcrobaticDetective said:

Hi everyone, 

Welcome aboard :)  The God Delusion is a great book...took me considerably longer than a weekend to read it though lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again, everyone, for the welcomes and encouragement. I just posted my testimony  if you're interested.