Goodbye Jesus

Any similar experiences? 

AcrobaticDetective

Since losing my faith and religious beliefs, I have noticed some things changing for me.

• I feel more connected to the earth and the universe. Not necessarily in a spiritual or mystical way. I want to say primal, but I can't quite explain it. 
  • My life long depression seems to be be noticeably better. 

Any similar experiences? 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AcrobaticDetective said:

I feel more connected to the earth and the universe. Not necessarily in a spiritual or mystical way. I want to say primal, but I can't quite explain it.

I think about it a lot; it is mostly intellectual musing, not very often a “feeling.”  Our existence is like an eddy in a stream; it forms due to the flow of the water, lasts awhile, then disperses.  All come from dust, and all return to dust.  It may seem strange, but what I feel most connected to, like some sort of role model, is trees.  When I feel lost, adrift, wondering what the point is, I ask myself, “Does a tree need a reason to exist?”  And my favorite place to be is among trees.  The place I go to when meditating is a swing from a tree from my childhood; I had experiences there that were almost transcendent, or maybe dissociative.

Overall, I have not felt either more or less depressed since deconverting; there is the good of being free of a bunch of toxic garbage, but the bad of the effect that the garbage had on the course of my life.  (Like a tree that gets damaged early on.)  And the loss of the false but comforting belief in providence, afterlife, and so forth.  It is what it is.

• Like 5

• Super Moderator

I felt more connected to humanity upon deconversion.  It's weird; because I don't like people very much.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

It's weird; because I don't like people very much.

Oh we know, we know 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I wouldn't say that I was depressed as a Christian, but I was significantly "lighter" and happier. 

• Like 2

When we lose a false view of reality, we have an opportunity to change a lot about ourselves at the same time (because that view of reality included our selves). We are all a part of nature, although humans often spend a lot of time wrapped up in mental abstractions like jobs, money, appearance, fitting in with groups, sports, and so on. At our most basic, it is like TEG said. The other forms of life on this planet don't really seem to look for a purpose or meaning, they simply are alive and go through the life-cycle they have genetically coded within. Humans have a strong ability to think abstractly, so we crowd a lot of that into our lives for better or worse. 

I became a lot more free when my sense of reality no longer had demons/angels/gods/devils and a constant sin/repentance cycle. It is possible that I am still wrong about reality in several ways, but for now I am free to test things with my mind instead of believing that my mind is no good and I have to accept a myth as ultimate reality.

I LOVE being in nature, and recently had to spend about 5 hours out in the rain installing a gizmo for my work. It was wonderful. Very quiet, birds chirping, wind in the trees, and utterly soaked by the rain. Where I live, there are two busy airports, a highway, neighbors with subwoofers that go all night, so quiet is rare and technology is constant. Nature breaks are food for my being, and I appreciate insights that help me see through any lies I currently believe are reality. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, fallenleaf said:

I wouldn't say that I was depressed as a Christian, but I was significantly "lighter" and happier. 

I meant to say lighter and happier after losing faith, but it seems like I was saying the opposite.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AcrobaticDetective said:

Since losing my faith and religious beliefs, I have noticed some things changing for me.

• I feel more connected to the earth and the universe. Not necessarily in a spiritual or mystical way. I want to say primal, but I can't quite explain it. 

Any similar experiences? 

I was prone to depression growing up, like my mother. I literally kicked it. Not immediately after disbelief. It would be another decade. It came when I broadened my horizons and took up reading and researching comparative world religion, scientific pantheism, eastern mystical philosophies, and just plain science issues. Everything changed. Interconnected perspective arose. And depressive feelings went away. Never returned.......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I felt more connected to humanity upon deconversion.  It's weird; because I don't like people very much.

Try trees.  They don’t argue.  Or form political parties.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TEG said:

Try trees.  They don’t argue.  Or form political parties.

Dogs!  Dogs are best!

• Haha 2

YES! Nature is everything to me now. I grow vegetables and raise chickens. I feel so connected to the earth and universe.

We are all just stardust.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TABA said:

Dogs!  Dogs are best!

Dogs think trees are best...

Ok, they think almost everything is the best, except cats and squirrels and mailmen

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TEG said:

I think about it a lot; it is mostly intellectual musing, not very often a “feeling.”  Our existence is like an eddy in a stream; it forms due to the flow of the water, lasts awhile, then disperses.  All come from dust, and all return to dust.  It may seem strange, but what I feel most connected to, like some sort of role model, is trees.  When I feel lost, adrift, wondering what the point is, I ask myself, “Does a tree need a reason to exist?”  And my favorite place to be is among trees.  The place I go to when meditating is a swing from a tree from my childhood; I had experiences there that were almost transcendent, or maybe dissociative.

Overall, I have not felt either more or less depressed since deconverting; there is the good of being free of a bunch of toxic garbage, but the bad of the effect that the garbage had on the course of my life.  (Like a tree that gets damaged early on.)  And the loss of the false but comforting belief in providence, afterlife, and so forth.  It is what it is.

Excellent. I am glad to hear this is normal. For my depression, I think it's due to a couple things.

I was raised in a mentally and physically abusive home. My abuser went through a brief period where he found god and religion. I suspect he was as subtle with that as with anything else. I think this de-conversion is therapeutic for my CPTSD.

I also think my depression is negatively impacted by anticipation of the thing to come and my unworthiness. Living in the now and no longer thinking I'm not good enough for something that doesn't exist, has allowed me to grow in some sort of confidence and contentment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

I was prone to depression growing up, like my mother. I literally kicked it. Not immediately after disbelief. It would be another decade. It came when I broadened my horizons and took up reading and researching comparative world religion, scientific pantheism, eastern mystical philosophies, and just plain science issues. Everything changed. Interconnected perspective arose. And depressive feelings went away. Never returned.......

I am so happy to hear that.

3 hours ago, Fuego said:

When we lose a false view of reality, we have an opportunity to change a lot about ourselves at the same time (because that view of reality included our selves). We are all a part of nature, although humans often spend a lot of time wrapped up in mental abstractions like jobs, money, appearance, fitting in with groups, sports, and so on. At our most basic, it is like TEG said. The other forms of life on this planet don't really seem to look for a purpose or meaning, they simply are alive and go through the life-cycle they have genetically coded within. Humans have a strong ability to think abstractly, so we crowd a lot of that into our lives for better or worse. 

I became a lot more free when my sense of reality no longer had demons/angels/gods/devils and a constant sin/repentance cycle. It is possible that I am still wrong about reality in several ways, but for now I am free to test things with my mind instead of believing that my mind is no good and I have to accept a myth as ultimate reality.

I LOVE being in nature, and recently had to spend about 5 hours out in the rain installing a gizmo for my work. It was wonderful. Very quiet, birds chirping, wind in the trees, and utterly soaked by the rain. Where I live, there are two busy airports, a highway, neighbors with subwoofers that go all night, so quiet is rare and technology is constant. Nature breaks are food for my being, and I appreciate insights that help me see through any lies I currently believe are reality. 

Freeing

• Like 1

I definitely feel connected to the whole earth and universe. I love evolution and I love the fact that we are all just stardust. We are the 'conscious' earth animals. (just a little smarter than other animals! lol) But we can't fly. I wish we could fly!! I love to watch birds. It's all pretty amazing. :)

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

I'm late to the party but Welcome, AcrobaticDetective.

Science and our collective experience demonstrates that we are indeed connected. No woo required.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 10:56 PM, AcrobaticDetective said:

Any similar experiences? 

I can attest to this. I feel much more connected with nature and I am able to appreciate it better than before.

I also have a new outlook on life. Now that I realize this is the only life there is, I am determined to make good use of it,

Instead of just waiting to die so I can get to the afterlife.

48 minutes ago, AyahuascaPhoenix said:

I also have a new outlook on life. Now that I realize this is the only life there is, I am determined to make good use of it,

As a “return on one’s investment,” I would accept waiting to die to get to the afterlife.
Unfortunately, it’s a Ponzi scheme.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 1:48 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

This is actually very similar to me.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:56 PM, AcrobaticDetective said:

Any similar experiences? 

My anxiety has lessened to a large degree (it really increased with all the cognitive dissonance and being stuck in a cult especially when I started questioning). 

I've fought depression after leaving but it's been more related to the consequences of leaving my ex church and being alienated from my family and any moral support from them. 

I had similar experiences with nature. I've always enjoyed being out there and most comfortable in nature but it's a whole new experience now. I think it's largely due to the fact Ive read up on evolution, understand it, and am constantly amazed at the world, and that I'm here and have the incredible privilege of being here. 

On 2/8/2020 at 6:32 PM, Margee said:

I definitely feel connected to the whole earth and universe. I love evolution and I love the fact that we are all just stardust. We are the 'conscious' earth animals. (just a little smarter than other animals! lol) But we can't fly. I wish we could fly!! I love to watch birds. It's all pretty amazing. :)

I love watching birds. :)

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 8:11 PM, florduh said:

I'm late to the party but Welcome, AcrobaticDetective.

Science and our collective experience demonstrates that we are indeed connected. No woo required.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, AyahuascaPhoenix said:

I can attest to this. I feel much more connected with nature and I am able to appreciate it better than before.

Amen! ;)

1 hour ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

My anxiety has lessened to a large degree (it really increased with all the cognitive dissonance and being stuck in a cult especially when I started questioning). 

I've fought depression after leaving but it's been more related to the consequences of leaving my ex church and being alienated from my family and any moral support from them. 

I had similar experiences with nature. I've always enjoyed being out there and most comfortable in nature but it's a whole new experience now. I think it's largely due to the fact Ive read up on evolution, understand it, and am constantly amazed at the world, and that I'm here and have the incredible privilege of being here. 

I have sadness around leaving my church--as well as how I may have damaged my children in some way by raising them in a church. I'm lamenting the loss of tradition. But I don't think it's depression (not like my normal depression). I think it might be grief. 

I watched two birds today sitting very comfortably on a wire. It was low 30s but they looked warm as toast. It brought me comfort.

• Like 2