Goodbye Jesus

The Ark Before Noah

LogicalFallacy

This lecture/presentation may interest history buffs, especially those with an interest in comparative story telling - in this case the story of Gilgamesh which as we now know was written before the Genesis account of Noah, which Noah clearly is borrowed from.

• Like 2

Fascinating, though it was a bit slogging to get through. And well before the Assyrian version. 

Yes, I think he said 1800 BC? And the Assyrian version is around 800 BC, with the Judaic version around 700BC.

I thought the point about viewing the boat from a low angle could give rise to modern conceptions of the typical Noah's ark side on pictures was interesting.

Amazing the accuracy too of a set of instructions written down 3800 years ago that actually work. 

• Like 1

Pretty interesting but a bit long. I wonder if the writer(s) of the Noah's Ark story in the Old Testament had a written Sumerian, Babylonian, Assyrian text or another text of some kind, or if some of this story came from oral-tradition? Since copies of books had to be hand written in those times, and sometimes translated into other languages,  it would seem that the story would change over time to match new technologies, knowledge, and imaginative skills of later centuries and cultures.

If the Babylonian exile of the Jews actually happened, that seems like a likely time for the origin of the OT writings. 

On 2/9/2020 at 4:02 PM, Fuego said:

If the Babylonian exile of the Jews actually happened, that seems like a likely time for the origin of the OT writings. 

Yes, many Jewish biblical scholars, and I expect some Christian biblical scholars,  have stated that this is a likely possibility. The question then might be, if they had no bible at that time then why were they exiled as Jews? Maybe they looked different from other Babylonians, or maybe they were Jewish in that they had their own language and already believed in a single God that favored their nationality which made them unpopular. Or maybe, as you questioned, their being exiled was just a fable attempting to establish a history and identity like their escape from slavery in Egypt.