Goodbye Jesus

Last Hurrah

Purple Rhino

SmallStone's post got me thinking about this.

My partner and myself have laid out very specific instructions on how our final exits are to be handled, along with some assurances in our wills that our wishes not be usurped.

All of this mainly came about from both of us attending services for family and friends with a wide array of beliefs being represented. And also being privy to some 'take overs' by relatives that were directly against what the deceased wanted.

So here's my last hurrah in a nutshell, with some of my reasoning.

My body will be cremated within 24 hours of my demise, unless death is deemed unnatural. (Reason: Cost & cuts down on Exploitation)

There will be no services of any kind in 'my honor' for 30 days following my death. (so that people can have time to grieve or celebrate in their own manner without an audience or expectations)

My going away party will be held on a Saturday approx. a month after I'm gone. I have provided the caterer and guest list. The celebration of Me is by invitation only, no exceptions. (If I didn't like you when I lived I don't want you around after either. Yes I am a control freak.) I have also included suggestions of topics and music for the event.

My ashes are to be burried in a specific location that is known by only my Partner, Atty. and son. For no reason are my ashes to be handled by any christ believing family member under any circumstances. (Trust Issues)

If my wishes are not met to the letter as stated my entire estate goes to charity.

More importantly I have living will, power of attorney and donor information documented.

How do you want to exit stage left?

PR

PR, I think you just about covered what I would like as well. Thank you.

I think this topic would fit better in Ex-Christian Life, so allow me to make the move. Rants is so full that this thread might suffer an early demise if left there. ;-)

We covered this on an earlier forum last year but I think one thing that is important for those who wish to be buried, with tombstones, is that we make the necessary arrangements ahead of time to write (order and pay for) our own grave markers so that we not be subjected to having crosses or religious icons carved into the stones that will be part of our "resting place."

If this gets left to our families or partners to deal with, in the throes of grief they could weaken and we could end up with something religious that we would find distaseful.

Not over my dead body... :grin:

Hey Reach,

Thanks for your reply and moving the topic.

I agree with you so strongly about taking it into your own hands for any kind of monument.

The funeral industry here in the U.S. is all about 'Up Sell using guilt." for everything from the box to the marker. And the grieving are led to believe that they can show how much they cared by how much they spend.

PR

I'm a donor, so I expect my organs to be harvested. But at my death, to my body, they (whoever) may do whatever they feel will make themselves feel better. Burn me, bury me, toss me off a bridge. I won't care, nor will I be able to.

I've made arrangements for the practical things like organ donations and paying for the cremation of my body.

Beyond that I think it may be a mistake to make too many specific plans for services/memorials. After all it won't make a bit of difference to me. It's my partner and friends who will need to cope and grieve in whatever way they need.

My grandfather donated his body to the local medical university to be used as a study cadaver. It worked out doubly well because he died of colon cancer, so they studied the shit out of him. In exchange, the university paid for his cremation.

Sounds like something I'll be interested in. Of course he was a christian, so we had the typical mellow christian wake where everyone sang amazing grace and we all patted each other on the back taking comfort in knowing that he went to heaven.

It was sad to watch my family try and convince themselves that my other grandpa went to heaven, when he made no claims to christ or lived his life in any way other than what would be 'normal american life'.

Beyond donating organs, I intend to have the rest of my body buried in the natural earth, sans coffin & clothes, so I can decompose & recontribute to the earth the way our dead decomposing matter is meant to.

...he died of colon cancer, so they studied the shit out of him. 

Oh, Lloyd...

My grandfather donated his body to the local medical university to be used as a study cadaver. It worked out doubly well because he died of colon cancer, so they studied the shit out of him.

action-smiley-077.gif

I want to be left out where the crows, bears, mice, maggots, and other beasties can eat me. If a mama bear ate me she should be able to right to bed for the winter without having to do a lot of work getting fat.

Does a will cover that sort of thing?

I've always wanted a burial at sea. So after I am cremated just flush the ashes down the toilet.

Actually I don't really care, I would prefer to be cremated as I think digging up wooded areas for cemetarys is a bit of a waste. As long as I dont die wasting away in a wrinkle ranch I dont give a damn what happens after.

I'm just not patient enough for decomposition. And I have this freakish thought of some flower bushes roots growing through my sinuses and eye sockets.....and that somehow despite being dead.....it would tickle and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

Cremation represents the fastest route to finished. I don't want my bones lingering for years while tiny critters slowly etch away the calcium.

Once I'm ash, I have no objection to being fertilizer, being tossed in the ocean. Whatever.

Just don't leave my whole body somewhere where worms can go crawling around under my skin.

Nature can have me when my humanness is gone.

Oh, Lloyd...

hahaha oops. I really didn't catch that when I wrote it. :grin:

I'm really too young to have any plans yet... Though I recently signed up to have my organs donated when I die, put the little pink sticker on my driver's licence, and let my parents know that it was there. After all, why not let someone who's still alive have a chance of living longer when I no longer need the body parts? And my parents know that I'm non-religious. But other than that... Nothing.