Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LogicalFallacy

Are you an atheist if you fear hell?

Recommended Posts

Guest freedwoman
8 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

😂😂😂

Wanna go hunting for the flying spaghetti monster with me? I'm having pasta for dinner tonight. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest freedwoman

Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I hope I didn't make anyone hate me for this. I am done here too. 

✌️🤝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest freedwoman
3 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

Wanna go hunting for the flying spaghetti monster with me? I'm having pasta for dinner tonight. 😊

Oops accidentally quoted myself. Can't edit it. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

Oops accidentally quoted myself. Can't edit it. 🙄

 

Haha, noticed that. I think you meant to quote my unicorn thrusting post?

 

Sure I'll hunt for the FSM with you... for I have been touched by the noodley appendage and I believe :lmao:

 

18 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I hope I didn't make anyone hate me for this. I am done here too. 

✌️🤝

 

I'm sure you didn't piss anyone off, and I'm sure no one hates you. Do I know that? No, but I believe it :D :P  Everyone has different opinions. Everyone is entitled to them, and I think/hope we all respect that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest freedwoman
1 minute ago, LogicalFallacy said:

 

Haha, noticed that. I think you meant to quote my unicorn thrusting post?

 

Sure I hunt for the FSM... for I have been touched by the noodley appendage and I believe :lmao:

 

 

I'm sure you didn't piss anyone off, and I'm sure no one hates you. Do I know that? No, but I believe it :D :P  Everyone has different opinions. Everyone is entitled to them, and I think/hope we all respect that.

Thanks. 🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I know  in my heart God is real. He has revealed it in his word.  Also I have had God speak to me directly.

 

Plus, you saw me in person once.  That day in downtown Auckland; I was getting off the bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TEG said:

 

Plus, you saw me in person once.  That day in downtown Auckland; I was getting off the bus.

 

Yeah, nah, can't have been you. God spoke to me as an adult - I haven't been to Auckland since I was a child. Fake news. You are the anti Christ! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2020 at 12:17 PM, disillusioned said:

I almost say that I know there is no God. But I'm not certain. I don't know of any atheists who actually claim certianty.

 

On 3/7/2020 at 12:27 PM, freedwoman said:

Then by that definition aren't they really Agnostics? 

👍

I was going to say the same thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, freedwoman said:

 

To fear Hell a part of you would have to feel it exists. But that's just my take.

No you don't. That's what deeply engrained conditioning does - causes irrationality, particularly when threats to safety are involved. 

Feelings can be irrational. Beliefs can be based on rational thoughts. The two are not mutually exclusive. Which is essentially what you are saying. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  On 3/7/2020 at 10:17 AM, disillusioned said:

I almost say that I know there is no God. But I'm not certain. I don't know of any atheists who actually claim certianty.

 

  On 3/7/2020 at 10:27 AM, freedwoman said:

Then by that definition aren't they really Agnostics? 

 

Weezer: I was going to say the same thing!

 

.........

 

Uh oh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weezer said:
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 7:17 AM, disillusioned said:

I almost say that I know there is no God. But I'm not certain. I don't know of any atheists who actually claim certianty.

 

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 7:27 AM, freedwoman said:

Then by that definition aren't they really Agnostics? 

👍

I was going to say the same thing!

 

Dare I once again bring up the distinction between knowledge and belief? May I suggest that being an agnostic atheist is not a contradictory position.

 

May I also suggest that IF you claim to be a gnostic atheist I do not think you have good grounds for your belief?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Yes, I think I use the term radical rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as atheist some people will say, Don't you mean agnostic? I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one...etc., etc. It's easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal and that it's an opinion I hold seriously."  --Douglas Adams

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

 

Dare I once again bring up the distinction between knowledge and belief? May I suggest that being an agnostic atheist is not a contradictory position.

 

May I also suggest that IF you claim to be a gnostic atheist I do not think you have good grounds for your belief?

 

Gnostic: Knows

Atheist: Doesn't believe in God.

 

Gnostic Atheist: Knows he doesnt believe in God. Voila!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, midniterider said:

 

Gnostic: Knows

Atheist: Doesn't believe in God.

 

Gnostic Atheist: Knows he doesnt believe in God. Voila!

 

Haha... trickery.

 

That's like me when I ask "Do you believe in God" and they go "I don't know" (agnostic) I have to bite my tongue to keep from saying "You mean to say you don't know if you believe or not??" :D 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

 

Dare I once again bring up the distinction between knowledge and belief? May I suggest that being an agnostic atheist is not a contradictory position.

I thought this was already established - that one can be agnostic and athiest at the same time. I consider myself both. I don't see at all why it should be one or the other. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh look at me!  I'm wearing the appropriate label! It goes really great with my don't-give-a-fuck britches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God, of the divine or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable.  Another definition provided is the view that “human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify either the belief that God exists or the belief that God does not exist.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism


To say that one is a non-agnostic atheist (“gnostic atheist” sounds funny to me) does not imply certainty, or absolute knowledge.  It just means that you have reached a verdict based on the evidence available.  You have decided that there is no god, and are not withholding judgment.  That is the way we make most of our decisions in everyday life, and it does not require any special justification other than the usual arguments against belief.  It is the agnostic who comes along and creates a separate category by saying there are too many unknowns to make a decision.  I, too, have gotten the reply, “You mean you are an agnostic.”  No, I am an atheist, without the “agnostic” qualifier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

24 minutes ago, TEG said:

Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God, of the divine or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable.  Another definition provided is the view that “human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify either the belief that God exists or the belief that God does not exist.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism


To say that one is a non-agnostic atheist (“gnostic atheist” sounds funny to me) does not imply certainty, or absolute knowledge.  It just means that you have reached a verdict based on the evidence available.  You have decided that there is no god, and are not withholding judgment.  That is the way we make most of our decisions in everyday life, and it does not require any special justification other than the usual arguments against belief.  It is the agnostic who comes along and creates a separate category by saying there are too many unknowns to make a decision.  I, too, have gotten the reply, “You mean you are an agnostic.”  No, I am an atheist, without the “agnostic” qualifier.

 

What's your favorite color? Yes or No?    /s

 

Is it important to make a decision about God's existence? I dont think so. Not for me, anyway. 

 

.......

 

I think we're splitting hairs here with agnostic and atheist terms. Either way we aint Christians anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, midniterider said:

Is it important to make a decision about God's existence? I dont think so. Not for me, anyway. 

 

You are luckier than some.  For me it was a huge decision; I would say it was on the scale of, “Should I move to another country and start a new life?”  It was not something I would ever have done without taking a long hard look at the evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

 

Dare I once again bring up the distinction between knowledge and belief? May I suggest that being an agnostic atheist is not a contradictory position.

 

May I also suggest that IF you claim to be a gnostic atheist I do not think you have good grounds for your belief?

 

Knowledge is what you thought you knew until a scientist comes along and replaces an old theory with a new different theory. 

 

(Poking at you just for fun)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TEG said:

 

You are luckier than some.  For me it was a huge decision; I would say it was on the scale of, “Should I move to another country and start a new life?”  It was not something I would ever have done without taking a long hard look at the evidence.

 

You're right. I only had 10 years of indoctrination sitting on a 30 year foundation of non-belief. Nor did I live in the bible belt, thank goodness. I got off pretty easy. :)

 

I read about young adults' freaky toxic Christian parents and can see why they would give the big F.U. to all belief. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, midniterider said:

 

I think we're splitting hairs here with agnostic and atheist terms. Either way we aint Christians anymore. 

 

👍 Amen brother!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people don't give a fuck about labels and shared meaning, others do give a fuck about at least correctly using labels and shared meaning.

 

But we are all free to give a fuck or not give two fucks about giving a fuck about labels.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL, now we can have a discussion about people who like to use the F-word!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Weezer said:

LOL, now we can have a discussion about people who like to use the F-word!

 

Ok. Well both TRP and I have used it in this page.

 

Fire away. Are certain words offensive? Should certain words be banned? Are certain words effective at relaying meaning? What is the meaning of the term word?

 

Brah, you just opened a can of worms :D 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.