Goodbye Jesus

Are you an atheist if you fear hell?

LogicalFallacy

I don’t think we can ever know whether we can use the f-word or not.

I’m just an f-ing agnostic.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TEG said:

Me too. I do not know if we can even know whether the F word is indeed a word. It's all unknowable. Nothing is known.

I think this thread has been shot in the heart, and whose to blame? We give atheist a bad name. :D 

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator

Technically, I neither give a fuck, nor do I charge for one.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Brah, you just opened a can of worms :D 

I just opened the can with tongue in cheek.  If there is anything in it, others are welcome to jump in and examine the contents. 😎

20 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I just opened the can with tongue in cheek.  If there is anything in it, others are welcome to jump in and examine the contents. 😎

I think we are all being cheeky at the moment... we must be bored :lmao:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I think we are all being cheeky at the moment... we must be bored :lmao:

Yep!  I was going to go tear out an old fence today, but rain and cold kept me inside.  I thought of a couple of jokes, but decided they were probably best left unsaid.

Go over to RANTS AND REPLIES.  Older started a thread about religious freedom that we can get serious about.

The F-word is like punctuation...Right fuck? Right fuck. For some people, it's an entire sentence. FUCK!! :D

Wow, I missed quite a discussion here.  Couple of things to toss in: 

1.  Atheist as defined by those who lack a belief in god is not mutually exclusive with agnosticism as has already been mentioned by folks probably a lot more informed on the subject than I.  I consider myself "Agnostic Atheist" based on my understanding that Agnostic = I don't know / no positive claim and Atheist = Lack of belief in God / lack of belief in theistic claims.  Whereas Gnostic = I do know / I make a positive claim and Theist = I believe in a God / higher power.  

2.  I mentioned this in my original post many pages ago but basically I think fear, which can often be irrational, is not a good indicator of personal belief. I know I won't fall out of the Apollo's Chariot roller coaster, I still don't want to get on one.  I'll also bring up the argument about religious trauma, which in defense of those who have argued you can't fear hell and be atheist is perhaps meant as a way to get people to face up / get help for their trauma.  

3.  In general, I try to avoid No True Scotsman arguments because everybody has an opinion on the subject and blanket exlusionary statements are rarely, if ever, accurate or useful.  "Only a Sith deals in absolutes" is a hilarious line because it is a self-damning paradox.  

4.  And finally in relation to the current topic of conversation, I am a Gnostic Fucker because I make the positive claim that I like to fuck.

Also I'll toss my hat in with the "I'm not really offended or upset" crowd.  This is a discussion forum, and the only way we get anywhere is by actually discussing these things, even if we don't fully understand somebody else's point of view.  In fact I would say these work better when there is an abundance of unusual / unpopular views because otherwise it is just a bunch of preaching to the choir which, while sometimes fun, doesn't really accomplish much.  

As long as the air is respectful and productive, keep 'em coming, I say.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Derek said:

The F-word is like punctuation...Right fuck? Right fuck. For some people, it's an entire sentence. FUCK!! :D

It's the only word I'm aware of where one can actually make an entire sentence out of the word and it's derivatives and still make sense. I present you with:

Fucking fucked fucker! (Used to express much disdain or anger at someone who most probably deserves the title :D ...  also the sentence is longer than "Jesus wept")

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
8 hours ago, Weezer said:

I was going to go tear out an old fence today, but rain and cold kept me inside.

I take a fence to that.  🙄

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Weezer said:

Go over to RANTS AND REPLIES.  Older started a thread about religious freedom that we can get serious about.

I was going to put my two pence in (Haha.. Pence... that wasn't on purpose) But then I realized it's mainly a USA issue. We just don't have those sort of religious problems here in NZ so thought I might not have much to contribute to the topic.

I was going to make the observation that within the founding documents is religious overtones - that line about all men being created with unalienable rights... something like that? Endowed by the creator with inalienable rights? Something like that. So it seems religion, and not necessarily freedom from it is the emphasis... until you hit some amendments which the religious probably want to forget about.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I was going to put my two pence in (Haha.. Pence... that wasn't on purpose) But then I realized it's mainly a USA issue. We just don't have those sort of religious problems here in NZ so thought I might not have much to contribute to the topic.

I'm not sure they operate in NZ, but "The Family" operates all over the world and are part of the religious movement.  They are power hungry and operate anywhere they think they can get a toe hold.  I thought it was just another kooky conspiracy theory until I started checking it out.  They have some real power behind them, and are dead serious about what they do.  They are the ones behind the annual Prayer Breakfast in the USA.

9 hours ago, Weezer said:

I'm not sure they operate in NZ, but "The Family" operates all over the world and are part of the religious movement.  They are power hungry and operate anywhere they think they can get a toe hold.  I thought it was just another kooky conspiracy theory until I started checking it out.  They have some real power behind them, and are dead serious about what they do.  They are the ones behind the annual Prayer Breakfast in the USA.

Ok I'll check them out and see if they have any ties here.

• Super Moderator
On 3/9/2020 at 6:57 PM, TEG said:

Can you use the f-word if you're afraid to say "hell"?

36 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Can you use the f-word if you're afraid to say "hell"?

My catholic  co-worker said fuck all the time....wouldnt be caught dead using Jesus' name in vain though. Noooooo, that would be bad. :)

On 3/11/2020 at 12:38 PM, midniterider said:

My catholic  co-worker said fuck all the time....wouldnt be caught dead using Jesus' name in vain though. Noooooo, that would be bad. :)

Funny story.  My old man was so over the bend about using the "Lord's name in vain" until this exchange when I was 10 and my sister was 8.

Sister: Sweet Jesus! (Mocking a character from the musical 1776 we just watched)

Dad: Don't say that!

Sister: I'm just acting like (that character).

Dad: I don't care! Don't use the God damn Lord's- ...

At this point to his eternal credit, my old man stopped, grinned a bit at himself and we all ended up laughing.  Fun senior moments lol.  

• Haha 2