Goodbye Jesus

Anxiety psychiatric medication, especially after or during faith crisis

Myrkhoos

Hello all,

I have been considering psychiatric medication, especially something around anxiety, I went to some psychiatrists some time ago, but they did not really understood what was my problem and anxiety from some of my experiences from some traumatic episodes in religious settings.

I am also searching for other means of coping , but was looking at this  as a means of help. Has anyone used, uses them? What kind, side effects, how did you explain it to the psychiatrist? My biggest concern is that the doctors, not recognizing my issues, are going to give me wrong/innefective medication that will cause bad side effects and/or addiction.

Thanks

First, based on what you are saying, I think what would help you more in the long run is to find a therapist who can help you work through your trauma.  But medication may help your symptoms in the meantime.  The modern antidepressants also treat trauma-based anxiety, and few people have bad side effects.  Benzodiazepines are addictive and just a temporary fix.  But of course you need a thorough evaluation to determine what is best.  If what you have is an underlying bipolar disorder, for example, you mustn’t start with antidepressants.

Depending on the laws were you live, weed is a often suggested aid for anxiety. Limited side effects and you can grow your own to save on costs. 

Its not for everyone, as some people have bad experiences (but with no lasting effects). Of course if it is illegal in your country then use could increase your anxiety. 

3 hours ago, TEG said:

First, based on what you are saying, I think what would help you more in the long run is to find a therapist who can help you work through your trauma.  But medication may help your symptoms in the meantime.  The modern antidepressants also treat trauma-based anxiety, and few people have bad side effects.  Benzodiazepines are addictive and just a temporary fix.  But of course you need a thorough evaluation to determine what is best.  If what you have is an underlying bipolar disorder, for example, you mustn’t start with antidepressants.

I seriously have a lot of  trust issues with psychiatrists not familiar with religious/cult indoctrination to make that evaluation. I have read too many cases of cult related trauma regarded as full blown psychosis and that in a more developped country. Agree with the therapy thing, but was searching for something to help stabilize a bit while through something like that.

1 hour ago, AyahuascaPhoenix said:

I can say from firsthand expirience that weed is most definatley superior to any of that shit from big pharma.

My doctors tried me on a whole slew of meds and all they did was make my anxiety worse.

But as Wertbag said legality is an issue in many locations, Although CBD oil is much more widely available as long as it contains no THC,

As THC is the pyschoative compound that gives cannabis it's high. CBD is non psychoative and only gives a relaxing calming effect, And is therefore legal in many areas where THC is not.

Of course I would recomend Ayahuasca as it is by far the best medicine for depression and anxiety, But It's not something you can take on your own,

And going to a retreat center is expensive.

Yeah I know i'm a goddamn hippy druggie, But I've found what works and I really hate to see somone else get caught in the prescription medication trap.

Hmm, funny thing there was a huge scandal involving ayahuashca in my country with some high ranking publolic servants illegally using it inside the country. Even an ex secret service guy.

Thank you for your input. It is vaIuable as you have personal xp. have some big reservations about hallucinogenics though. Do you have any research material, or smth like that that I could look at? Even a library of testimonies. Sadly weed is illegal in my country. What a hypocrisy alcholol is legal although the death toll of it is obvious but weed is considered a dangerous drug.I would like some drug with sedating, calming and just slowing clarifying properties. 

By the way mental health help is sooo expensive :(. I mean really do you need to further burden and amplify the anxiety of some struggling with already too much mental hype? 

• Like 1

Just now, Myrkhoos said:

Hmm, funny thing there was a huge scandal involving ayahuashca in my country with some high ranking publolic servants illegally using it inside the country. Even an ex secret service guy.

Thank you for your input. It is vaIuable as you have personal xp. have some big reservations about hallucinogenics though. Do you have any research material, or smth like that that I could look at? Even a library of testimonies. Sadly weed is illegal in my country. What a hypocrisy alcholol is legal although the death toll of it is obvious but weed is considered a dangerous drug.I would like some drug with sedating, calming and just slowing clarifying properties. 

By the way mental health help is sooo expensive :(. I mean really do you need to further burden and amplify the anxiety of some struggling with already too much mental hype? Ok not being judgemental but it is hard. I miss the fact that I could acces confessiin for free. A bit self centerd here I admit. But hard not be when you are in survival mode :)

47 minutes ago, Myrkhoos said:

By the way mental health help is sooo expensive :(. I mean really do you need to further burden and amplify the anxiety of some struggling with already too much mental hype? 

The training isn’t free.  The office etc. isn’t free.  The licensure and board certification aren’t free.  Just sayin’ . . . .  Maybe someday we/you will have a universal health plan of some sort.

8 hours ago, TEG said:

The training isn’t free.  The office etc. isn’t free.  The licensure and board certification aren’t free.  Just sayin’ . . . .  Maybe someday we/you will have a universal health plan of some sort.

I get that. I really do. It s still a pity though. You can help people who can only afford it , like one doctor said, the worried well or become bankrupt in order to acces healthcare. The money is there but the world spends a lot more on weapons to destroy than medicine to heal. But that is modern capitalism, a system based on greed delusion and hatred.

In my country there is basic universal healthcare but the state funds are squeezed by corrupt and ignorant individuals with no general vision of healthcare in general. Or bad managers. They are now in political crisis where governments fell to the rate of 1 per six months or so or fast replacements of cabinet ministers. 

This what truly makes me sad. It is not always a matter of lack of resources, but a matter of corruption and bad management. 

The Romanian Church seems way better at managing its funds anyway, strangely enough ☺

5 hours ago, AyahuascaPhoenix said:

Reset.me has alot of excellent articles, Not just about Aya but others as well, The podcasts are especially informative.

https://reset.me/

https://reset.me/podcast/

Kahpi.net is another good source.

https://kahpi.net/ayahuasca/

Here's a  documentary

https://vimeo.com/117538404

This article compares Aya to Iboga, Another plant medicine in the same category.

https://www.aubreymarcus.com/blogs/aubrey-marcus/ayahuasca-vs-iboga

And here's an interesting little story I found.

https://medium.com/@ignaciolirio/my-first-date-with-my-new-best-friend-ayahuasca-d611cf204321

Hope you can get the info you're looking for out of those.

Oh and I found this too, A website about recovering from religion, It looks promising.

https://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/#rfr-welcome

In the meantime, There are some things you can do that might help you relax, Such as yoga meditation, And deep breathing excercises.

Chamomile tea can help knock the edge off anxiety, It's not a cure by any means but it may be useful.

I've also heard that St John's Wort works well for depression and anxiety, It's a natural herb that you should be able to find in most health food stores.

A healthy diet with plenty of fresh air and excercise can do wonders for your mood aswell.

Therapy didn't do much for me, But for some it can be very helpful.

No matter what you do, Always remember that there is hope and things will get better. 

Best wishes :)

I know these tactics, that is why I asked about medication. Thanks for the resources, will check them out.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:22 AM, Myrkhoos said:

But that is modern capitalism, a system based on greed delusion and hatred.

Ok maybe I exaggerated here. Not having enough funds for medical expenses does tend to make one feel pretty emotional though :). Soo yeah...😡😦😩😥😠

• 2 weeks later...

There are medications that reduces anxiety that works quite well for most people. It all depends on if you have side effects that are intolerable or not. Be VERY careful of besoes , they work well initially but are highly addictive and in the log run will cause more anxiety. They are good if you can manage to use them only very occasionally if you are in a very difficult sitiuation that you have to cope with for example you need to get on plane  and is very anxious about that.  A life long sufferer from GAD  and PTSD and most  probably ADD (though my doctor thought I had a too good working memory, even if I ticked all the boxes)I 'm taking pregabalin/Lyrica and it cuts the the worst anxiety so I can function better for the moment. I put on a bit of weight and have to be careful about what I eat but that isn't such a bad thing. 

Just make sure your doctor is knowledgeable, preferably a psychiatrist. You don't need to tell them so much about the specifics of your anxiety.  They would know what to prescribe though you might have to try different medication to find something that works. Don't talk too much with doctors , they are usually to busy and usually not specialized in psychiatry . Talking is for therapists. It's of course important if you can find a good therapist and afford one to have therapy.
You could also try to find some meditation group, one that is clean from woo like zen meditation to relax and focus you. 

Try if you can, to be outdoors,  and work out. That is many cases works better that even medication and/or therapy. 

Plus sharing your scary thoughts, sadness and worries with kind , helpful, understanding and experienced people on here  who might help to sort out at leas some issues like you already do is GREAT!

• Thanks 1