Goodbye Jesus

Music suggestions?

RebelSoul

I love music! It's my passion and a big part of my life.

Unfortunately though, majority of my favorite artists and bands call themselves Christian. I don't listen to Christian music, they're all secular artists and they're liberal when it comes to LGBTQ rights, women rights and so on.

But it still bothers me a lot! They have songs that are inspired by their faith and they also talk and mention their faith from time to time.

Of course they can do that, but it makes me furious, because I know they've been manipulated and indoctrinated and that they have a huge influence on their fans, especially younger ones.

I listen to a lot of different genres, mostly rock and pop.

What makes me really really mad is the ridiculous Hillsong-trend in the last few years and some of the pop artists I enjoy listening (not Justin Bieber!!!!!!!!) are involved with that church and they have really young fans and I see their fan accounts online and how strongly influenced they are by that. They try everything just to be like their favorite singers.

Do you have some suggestions of some great non-Christian singers or bands? :)

It doesn't have to be rock or pop, but if so it would be great :D

I listen to rock, pop rock, pop punk, alternative rock, post-grunge, hard rock, punk rock, indie rock, indie pop, alternative pop, punk, new wave, garage rock, soul, grunge, power pop, emo, pop, art pop, dream pop, dark pop, psychodelic rock, blues rock, symphonic rock, progressive rock, soft rock, folk rock, some dancehall, trap, funk, synthpop, electro pop and dance pop, dance rock, some heavy metal, a little bit r&b.

I tried to edit my post, but don't know how or if it's possible.

just wanted to add that my trauma from religion sits very deep and I try to avoid the things that remind me of it.

As a huge music lover it frustrates me a lot that I don't find enough music from non-Christians.

1 hour ago, RebelSoul said:

I think when you get to 25 posts and become a Regular Member, you can edit your posts.

I listen to a lot of rock and metal and I like to listen to things that have nothing to do with religion in general, either for or against it, but once in a while, I like to listen to some anti-religious stuff. Since leaving the Christian religion, I've come across a few favorites that fall into the anti-religion category:

Metallica - The God that Failed

Epica - Fools of Damnation

Alice in Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

I'm not a big fan of AFI, but I have found that I like the song Sacrilege, so it's in this list.

But if you want to listen to something hilarious, check out Hand of the Almighty by John Butler for a good laugh.

I listen to mostly old hard rock/metal, And also some progressive rock

Here's a list of my favorites, There should be something you like out of these :)

Black Sabbath

Jethro Tull 

Led Zeppelin 

Deep Purple

Pink Floyd 

King Crimson

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Iron Claw

Iron Butterfly

Rush

AC/DC

Alice Cooper

Lucifer's Friend

Pentagram

Rainbow 

Dio

Metallica

Megadeth

Anthrax 

Slayer

Accept

Atomic Rooster

Alabama Thunderpussy

Thin Lizzy

Blue Oyster Cult

Uriah Heep

Toad

The Sword

Sir Lord Baltimore

Sleep

Orchid

Orange Goblin

Ozzy Osbourne

Electric Wizard

Earthless

Emerson Lake And Palmer

Mountain 

Motorhead

Jimi Hendrix

Van Halen

Steppenwolf

The Who

Yes

ZZ Top

Think that's about it, As for anti christian songs I have a couple goodies, Namely these two

https://youtu.be/-B8A1To_-8Y

https://youtu.be/d2ETX8eExtg

Hope you enjoy :)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 3:31 PM, RebelSoul said:

just wanted to add that my trauma from religion sits very deep and I try to avoid the things that remind me of it.

As a huge music lover it frustrates me a lot that I don't find enough music from non-Christians.

Welcome! 

Very ex-christian spiritual type of metal theme going on here: 

AP has a great list above. Lately I've been having the songs from my early years in the church coming back some mornings in the shower. Keith Green, Steve Taylor, and Randy Stonehill just in this last week. Gack! At least they were musicians. Absolutely hated the Hillsong trend. What vacuous songs. 

Most of my rock is old school 1950s to 80s, though I do like the occasional punk and trash metal. Other than that, I'm mostly in the "standards" realm of jazz from the 30s-60s (Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, Anita O'Day, Mel Torme, Tony Bennett, Thelonius Monk, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, etc).

@crazyguy123 @AyahuascaPhoenix @Joshpantera @Fuego

Thank you all for the great recommendations! 😀👍👍

I know some of them and find most of them really great! I’ll check out the others! 😀

Do you also know some great female fronted bands or female solo artists?

I’m a huge fan of The Pretty Reckless (who love to criticize Christianity) and I’m also trying to find more stuff like them.

When it comes to bands I listen to most are The Pretty Reckless, Green Day, Billy Talent, The Doors, Queen, Rise Against, Linkin Park, Tenacious D, AFI, The Turtles, Rage Against the Machine, The Animals, Anti-Flag, The Hives, Jefferson Airplanes, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Tonight Alive, Empire of the Sun and whatever I forgot at the moment.

Sonically I really love pop punk stuff like Paramore, but the Christian vibes in some songs annoy me so much.

Solo artists I really love are Marina (formerly Marina & The Diamonds) she has some highly critical songs about Christianity too, some more obvious, others more subtle, Alanis Morissette, Janis Joplin, Eric Burdon, Jimi Hendrix, Scott McKenzie, Fiona Apple, Regina Spector, Amy Winehouse, Kate Bush, Chris Cornell, Ed Sheeran, Jack Johnson.

I was a fan of different pop and pop rock artists like Avril Lavigne (which I can’t listen to anymore without getting angry, since she released two worship songs after she got Lyme Disease: “Head Above Water” and “It Was In Me”), but I love the styles of her first 3 albums, also Demi Lovato (especially the Confident album), Taylor Swift (almost everything) and some others of the popular ones, but unfortunately I’m unable not to think of their Christian interviews, and the songs that are inspired by their Christian beliefs, or some of them supporting Hillsong..🤮

So I really like both, older stuff from the 60’s and 70’s, but also a lot stuff from the 2000’s until now :) 

*Jefferson Airplane

• Super Moderator
8 minutes ago, RebelSoul said:

Try:

Metric

Chvrches

Grimes

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

The Naked and Famous

Of Monsters and Men

The Sugarcubes/Bjork

The Sundays

Cigarettes After Sex

Phantogram

Lana del Rey 

Melissa O'Neill 

School of Seven Bells

And anything else that isn't Enya

I always enjoyed XTCs Dear God 

• Like 1

One way to find new bands is via Spotify (free edition).  Input your favourite bands and it will attempt to build a playlist based on the style.  Have a browse of its suggestions and further refine what is worthwhile.  If you enjoy the service or want it ad free then you can pay the small subscription fee (something like $5 a month) for unlimited music and it will download to your device allowing you to travel with it.

13 hours ago, RebelSoul said:

My fellow Ex-Christians clearly have poor taste in music :P 

For female fronted bands the best IMO is Nightwish. Tarja was a queen, Floor is a goddess in terms of vocal quality.

Other female fronted I listen to are:

Within Temptation

Xandria

Exit Eden

Male/mixed fronted bands:

Sabaton

Beast in Black

Manofwar

Powerwolf

Probably more that I cannot remember.

And for your personal enjoyment: A metal version of Diggy Diggy Hole :D 

3 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Diggy Diggy Hole

Diggy diggy hole? The title sounds like something you'd find on my five year olds CD of kids songs. While the band is a bunch of cos-players... 😛

15 hours ago, Wertbag said:

Diggy diggy hole? The title sounds like something you'd find on my five year olds CD of kids songs. While the band is a bunch of cos-players... 😛

Many years ago (About 2011) there was a team streaming their game of Minecraft (I know, some adults play it... no judgement) They were having fun and one guy just started singing:

I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole, diggy diggy hole, diggy diggy hole

Some fans loved it and made a version of the song with graphics and uploaded it.

Then Yogcast got hold of it, made a full song with verses and the original as the chorus.

And it 2019 Metal band Wind Rose did a cover of it - which I posted.

All from a guy being silly and singing during his game stream of Minecraft. The song is quite catchy. :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Shelley Seagal

Tim Minchin

Geoff Golub

Joyce Cooling

OK. That's smooth jazz.  :Old:

• Like 1