Sign in to follow this  
Wertbag

Pronouns in email signatures

We've had an email sent around work suggesting everyone include their pronouns in their email signature. 

https://www.bustle.com/p/should-you-put-your-pronouns-in-your-email-signature-this-inclusive-workplace-trend-is-showing-up-more-more-2996610

They claim that big companies are suggesting it, but some people are pushing for this to be compulsory.

I don't have the feeling that these subjects can even be discussed, even asking questions can be jumped on as wrong. I wanted to ask why, but don't feel able to do so without putting yourself at risk from being labelled.

What I can't understand is why pronouns matter at all?  Pronouns are only used when talking about someone in the third person, never to that person.  So I might say "John is having lunch, did you see what he had?", but you wouldn't say that to John.  You only ever refer to people face to face by either their name or "you", such as "Hi John, what are you up to?"

So surely demanding someone uses your preferred pronoun is saying when people talk about you, and you are not there, they have to use certain words?  If so, how does any of this make them feel better or more included? 

I have heard transgender activists say that forcing everyone to display their pronouns is actually a bad thing as it forces transgender people to deal with coming out when they may not be ready to be public about their gender identity.

10 hours ago, Wertbag said:

If so, how does any of this make them feel better or more included? 

It makes them feel better and more included by forcing everyone else to play along with their delusions. It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, true or false as much as it matters that you play along.

-TEG (it/its)

Companies need this to cover their asses.  No one else needs it as far as I can think of.

mwc

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.