Goodbye Jesus

Silencing Believers

Guest freedwoman

Guest freedwoman

I love silencing Believers. They never stand a chance. It's hard to debate a former believer who has read the entire Bible cover to cover twice in two different versions and the new testament five times. All I have to do is talk the Bible with them, ask questions, and point out how evil their book is, and how it was written by men. I'm thinking of a certain website here. I've even called out the sites president, father if you will. He has never responded. Don't debate the Bible with me. I will win. I will silence you. That I am sure confident of. :P Who else enjoys silencing Believers? 

• Super Moderator

I would caution against the "us versus them" mentality.  Likely, it was instilled in you as part of your indoctrination; but it really serves no purpose for those who would be truly free.  I also know the bible better than most, as I was educated from elementary school through college in christian schools,  and hold a minor in biblical studies.  I also remember the early days of my deconversion when I felt like I wanted to stick it to every religious nut-job I could find.  That feeling passed; as did the anger and resentment. 

What I feel toward believers now, more than anything, is compassion.  The freer I become, the more I realize just how much I was in bondage.  I realize how heavy those chains really were.  It moves me to pity those who still drag them around, rattling and clattering like the wretched appendages of Marley's Ghost.  

I count myself fortunate to still be struggling toward a life of enlightenment and serenity.  

• Like 5

Guest freedwoman
9 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I would caution against the "us versus them" mentality.  Likely, it was instilled in you as part of your indoctrination; but it really serves no purpose for those who would be truly free.  I also know the bible better than most, as I was educated from elementary school through college in christian schools,  and hold a minor in biblical studies.  I also remember the early days of my deconversion when I felt like I wanted to stick it to every religious nut-job I could find.  That feeling passed; as did the anger and resentment. 

What I feel toward believers now, more than anything, is compassion.  The freer I become, the more I realize just how much I was in bondage.  I realize how heavy those chains really were.  It moves me to pity those who still drag them around, rattling and clattering like the wretched appendages of Marley's Ghost.  

I count myself fortunate to still be struggling toward a life of enlightenment and serenity.  

Thank you for the wise advice. I just get so angry and sick of Bible thumpers telling me my place as a woman and call me a sinner destined for Hell. It depresses me. I guess I just want revenge. Hopefully my anger subsides like yours did. It's just really hard to let it go when you're a woman. But I'll try adopting your compassionate attitude. Believers are just as terrified of Hell like I and most everyone else is. I guess I can't blame them for it. They are just trying to save themselves and others from eternal torment.

🤗🤗

Guest freedwoman
36 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

Thank you for the wise advice. I just get so angry and sick of Bible thumpers telling me my place as a woman and call me a sinner destined for Hell. It depresses me. I guess I just want revenge. Hopefully my anger subsides like yours did. It's just really hard to let it go when you're a woman. But I'll try adopting your compassionate attitude. Believers are just as terrified of Hell like I and most everyone else is. I guess I can't blame them for it. They are just trying to save themselves and others from eternal torment.

🤗🤗

Not all believers though. Few maybe. 

1 hour ago, freedwoman said:

I just get so angry and sick of Bible thumpers telling me my place as a woman and call me a sinner destined for Hell. It depresses me. I guess I just want revenge. Hopefully my anger subsides like yours did.

Your anger will subside in time. Until then, do all you can to avoid the Bible thumpers. This can be hard if your social circle revolved around church, but there are many ways to build new relationships.

4 hours ago, freedwoman said:

read the entire Bible cover to cover twice in two different versions and the new testament five times

Damn, don't you find the bible a hard read?  I found it so dull that getting inspired to read it was a challenge.  The long genealogies, the hard to pronounce names and the nonsensical stories like Revelation...

Read Revelation like a movie script.  “Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb!  For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?”  (Imagine people running around screaming that.)  “When He opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.”  Cool!  (A little time-compressed for a movie, of course.)  The other good movie script is the book of Enoch.

• Like 2

I also have been feeling alot of anger towards anyone and anything christian recently, Mostly against my family members.

I have had a growing resentment of some of them for the past few years and now it is boiling over.

So I feel like coming out as an Atheist is like giving them the ultimate middle finger, As a rejection of what they pushed on me, Most don't know yet but they will in due time.

I've thought about calling my former pastor and trolling him with it, But this probably isn't a good idea.

And I really feel like having a bible bonfire while listening to Slayer, Anyone care to join me? :P

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AyahuascaPhoenix said:

So I feel like coming out as an Atheist is like giving them the ultimate middle finger, As a rejection of what they pushed on me,

Yeah!  Feels great!  I did that years ago; now I deal with it by keeping to myself.

• Like 1

Guest freedwoman
1 hour ago, AyahuascaPhoenix said:

I also have been feeling alot of anger towards anyone and anything christian recently, Mostly against my family members.

I have had a growing resentment of some of them for the past few years and now it is boiling over.

So I feel like coming out as an Atheist is like giving them the ultimate middle finger, As a rejection of what they pushed on me, Most don't know yet but they will in due time.

I've thought about calling my former pastor and trolling him with it, But this probably isn't a good idea.

And I really feel like having a bible bonfire while listening to Slayer, Anyone care to join me? :P

I would love to join you for your Bible bonfire. Slayer sounds good. But can we also please play Running With The Devil from Van Halen too?

😊

10 hours ago, freedwoman said:

I would love to join you for your Bible bonfire. Slayer sounds good. But can we also please play Running With The Devil from Van Halen too?

😊

Sure! That would be an excellent choice!

As well as Iron Maiden's Number of The Beast, And Black Sabbath's Disturbing the Priest!

Maybe we should wear spiked wristbands for the occasion too. :P

12 hours ago, TEG said:

Read Revelation like a movie script.  “Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb!  For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?”  (Imagine people running around screaming that.)  “When He opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.”  Cool!  (A little time-compressed for a movie, of course.)  The other good movie script is the book of Enoch.

Brilliant!

Guest freedwoman
39 minutes ago, AyahuascaPhoenix said:

Sure! That would be an excellent choice!

As well as Iron Maiden's Number of The Beast, And Black Sabbath's Disturbing the Priest!

Maybe we should wear spiked wristbands for the occasion too. :P

Yep! 😂😂😂

Guest freedwoman

The book of Enoch even says the sun orbits Earth! It says the Earth is flat. We all know that's not true. The book of Enoch was suppose to be in the Bible but it wasn't.  How can anyone really believe that the bible is really the word if God? 

🙄🤣

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=64293.0

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jude+12-15&version=NKJV

4 hours ago, freedwoman said:

The book of Enoch even says the sun orbits Earth! It says the Earth is flat. We all know that's not true. The book of Enoch was suppose to be in the Bible but it wasn't.  How can anyone really believe that the bible is really the word if God? 

🙄🤣

True believers are very accustomed to doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to convince themselves of the veracity of their so-called "Holy Book", even if it contradicts reality and common-sense! Oh, sure, these mistakes can be explained away, if only you have the proper amount of faith. Ya know, that kind of stuff......

You do get the hand wave response from those who aren't interested in thinking about their beliefs.  I had one guy say "I'm not up on all the debates, but I've heard some scholars say it can be explained and that's enough for me".  So it doesn't even matter what the answer was, just that somewhere, someone said one exists and that is all it takes.

Until they are willing to engage there is no getting through such defences.

• Like 1

It depends on the believer and what the goal is.

If I'm dealing with a reasonable friendly believer who wants to delve into what we believe and why then "silencing" them is detrimental to good conversation.

If the believer is a prick who is trying to  ram "atheists cannot be moral" down my ears I quote Numbers 31 at them, tell them they can keep their 'morality', drop the bible and walk out.

I agree with TRP - us vs them, or just going out to 'win debates is not helpful for society in the long run. (Imagine that everyone is doing it - no good conversations are had and things fall apart) There is a Christian apologist who debates to "win" rather than converse and that's William Lane Craig. He would "win" a debate with any of us and still be wrong. (If you think you can defeat WLC in debate style please knock yourself out. Send me the link to the debate I'd love to see it.)

Here's another way of looking at it. The world is full of believers. We have to live with them and among them, thus having conversations upon which we can agree on common ground is better long term than trying to win.

• Like 1

Guest freedwoman
29 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

There is a Christian apologist who debates to "win" rather than converse and that's William Lane Craig. He would "win" a debate with any of us and still be wrong. 

Interesting point you pose. I'll keep that in mind. If Chuck missler we're still alive I'd be knocked out by him in a debate. 

7 hours ago, freedwoman said:

🙄🤣

Oddly enough when I told one of my friends about my de-conversion, He tried pushing the book of Enoch on me, Saying that it proves the bible correct.

Because he told me that's what brought him back to christianity after he left it when he was younger.

All it did was make me think wow this guy is a complete fool.

So I have an Idea, Why don't we fabricate our own absurd holy book and see if any fools buy into it.

We'll call it The Book of Dipshit! and all followers of this faith are to be known as True Dipshits!

Guest freedwoman
16 minutes ago, AyahuascaPhoenix said:

Oddly enough when I told one of my friends about my de-conversion, He tried pushing the book of Enoch on me, Saying that it proves the bible correct.

Because he told me that's what brought him back to christianity after he left it when he was younger.

All it did was make me think wow this guy is a complete fool.

So I have an Idea, Why don't we fabricate our own absurd holy book and see if any fools buy into it.

We'll call it The Book of Dipshit! and all followers of this faith are to be known as True Dipshits!

Yes! Agreed. 😊

There is a Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, which fits the bill for a book with as much evidence as anything in the bible.  And once string theory is renamed to the more accurate noodle theory...

• Like 1

Guest freedwoman
On 2/26/2020 at 6:55 PM, Wertbag said:

Damn, don't you find the bible a hard read? 

To be honest yes I did. Most parts made me cringe! 😰

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 6:55 PM, Wertbag said:

Damn, don't you find the bible a hard read?

More of a flaccid read, imo.

• Haha 1