Goodbye Jesus

Their days will be 120 years

Wertbag

What is your understanding of Genesis 6:3: "the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years."

I've heard it said God put a maximum life span on humans, but if that were so it didn't seem to kick in for several thousand years with Noah living to 950. The oldest recorded and verified person was a French lady who was 122, so did Gods curse miss her? 

One Christian I heard say it was a prophecy which has now come true with no one living past 120 now, exactly as the bible predicted. And yet the verified French lady only died in 1997, so its not ancient history. 

Is there any other way to read this?

• 4 weeks later...
Goodbye Jesus
On 3/1/2020 at 12:31 PM, Wertbag said:

What is your understanding of Genesis 6:3: "the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years."

Well, to begin with you are using a copyrighted Bible which means you one of those eternal mortals right?

The last evolved translation of the ancient writings from their original language into the English language is found in the KJV translation where one would find that it is written in Genesis 6:3 ; "And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years."   

I've heard it said God put a maximum life span on humans, but if that were so it didn't seem to kick in for several thousand years with Noah living to 950.

I would be interested in hearing where you heard it said that the maximum life span on humans is 120 years?   

I haven't heard of one account of anyone claiming that Genesis 6:3 refers to maximum life span of man.  Besides is the 120 years the time that it would be until the great flood, you know the one where light refraction would be seen in the sky and that would be a sign that it repented the LORD that he made man on earth.  

The oldest recorded and verified person was a French lady who was 122, so did Gods curse miss her? 

Can I ask if you have examined the evidence used to substantiate the claim the lady actually lived to 122 years old?  I am not sure that God's curse was aimed at her.

That is the curse.

One Christian I heard say it was a prophecy which has now come true with no one living past 120 now, exactly as the bible predicted. And yet the verified French lady only died in 1997, so its not ancient history. 

I think you had an auditory hallucination:eek:, but at least you kept your mental facilities since you realized that if didn't hold up once then it was just a pink unicorn, do you really think you would even consider that 120 year principle could even possibly be true, naah, me neither.

The Russian President , Vladimir Putin authorized the scientific review of the Calment claim and in 2019, Russian researchers concluded that  Jeanne Calment's daughter assumed her identify  after her death in the  1930's to avoid France's steep inheritance tax. 

In addition to peculiar facts such as the daughters husband remained with the mother-in-law, and never remarried and the death of the daughter there was the obscure 2007 French book, Insurance and Its Secrets, claimed that an insurer became aware of Calment’s identity theft but “the authorities did not make it public because the ‘elder of the French’ became a legend.”

I think the final report was that science has no capability of reaching a definitely decision,  and basically stated that the  French scientists who validated her ask by asking her questions that only Jeanne Calment would know. 

Since she had all of her personal records destroyed prior to the validation process, then the fact she provided responses to the questions proves she was more than likely, actually probably was Jeanne Calment since they don't think he daughter would have been able to answer the questions.

When asked if the knew the correct answer to questions in order to validate the accuracy of the responses given, the reseachers said 'no'  that would be cheating. '

Christians haven ever heard that interpretation and once they do the deny it since they had been taught that the 120 years would be the time until the earth would flood.

• Super Moderator

It does seem like the deity said he would kill everybody in 120 years. I guess he would do that because he made a mistake, didn't know how things would go, or simply has no respect for any of the life forms on this planet. But it remains to be seen why it would be delayed 120 years since he already made the decision for genocide.

What is your understanding of Genesis 6:3: 

My understanding is that it is a passage from a myth written thousands of years ago.  Beyond that, it is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
35 minutes ago, Weezer said:

My understanding is that it is a passage from a myth written thousands of years ago.  Beyond that, it is anyone's guess.

Of course. These little side trips are akin to musing over the Star Wars or Harry Potter plot lines. Harmless fun until you take it seriously.

• Super Moderator

I heard one apologist put forth the notion that 120 years was how long it took Noah to build the ark.  Thus, god was saying that he was done with people's bullshit just as soon as he could get the beasts loaded up and the rain a-falling.  Not really sure how that squares off with him still having to come down here himself and die on the cross anyway... on account of people's bullshit.  But there it is.

11 hours ago, florduh said:

Of course. These little side trips are akin to musing over the Star Wars or Harry Potter plot lines. Harmless fun until you take it seriously.

I actually was in a bad mood at the time and thought, "oh no, another sophomoric discussion", and was being sarcastic.  I should have kept my mouth shut.  Or my fingers off the keyboard. 

19 hours ago, florduh said:

But it remains to be seen why it would be delayed 120 years since he already made the decision for genocide.

Because it took 120 years to build the ark. Didn't you listen in church brother florduh? (Edit: Haha, just read TRP's post. See we have the revelation - the same one. Praise the great horn, it doth thrust upon me)

Hear my words:

Now Moses lived to 120 years. 120 is 3 x 40. The children of Israel wandered in the wilderness 40 years, and 3 is the number of the godhead. 

Now Noah was 600 when he went into the ark, which means he must have been 480 when he started the ark to make the 120 years until the flood. Now, 40 into 480 is a perfect 12, and as we know 12 is a significant number in the bible. There were 12 disciples, 12 tribes of Israel, and 12 is the number of judgement. So God was telling the world that judgement was coming on the earth.

Now 40 into 600 is 15... that means nothing. Ignore it. 

... I feel like I'm going down a biblical numerology tangent here. I could be a preacher.

To answer @Wertbag - you can read it anyway you like. ITS THE BIBLE! People read it to suit whatever interpretation they like. I just spouted some stuff at you above. It means nothing, but people believe this shit.

It's a story, written by ancient people, for ancient people who were trying to explain why shit happens. They hadn't learned at that stage that shit just happens! I present you case exhibit A - Covid19. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 2:50 AM, Justus said:

I would be interested in hearing where you heard it said that the maximum life span on humans is 120 years?   

I haven't heard of one account of anyone claiming that Genesis 6:3 refers to maximum life span of man.  Besides is the 120 years the time that it would be until the great flood, you know the one where light refraction would be seen in the sky and that would be a sign that it repented the LORD that he made man on earth.  

I had heard this idea from several different Christians, probably those with a literal reading but little in-depth research (a category that a great number of people would fall into).

A quick Google search found these examples:

https://www.bibleref.com/Genesis/6/Genesis-6-3.html

https://www.neverthirsty.org/bible-qa/qa-archives/question/to-what-does-the-120-years-in-genesis-63-refer/

To find Christians don't understand their own bible, who would have thought?

Can I ask if you have examined the evidence used to substantiate the claim the lady actually lived to 122 years old?  I am not sure that God's curse was aimed at her.

As its been clarified this idea of the 120 years being related to lifespan is incorrect, therefore trying to validate the data used for an incorrect statement is of no value.

I think you had an auditory hallucination:eek:, but at least you kept your mental facilities since you realized that if didn't hold up once then it was just a pink unicorn, do you really think you would even consider that 120 year principle could even possibly be true, naah, me neither.

Ignoring the snarky comment, you can't by default imagine everyone is going to come to the same conclusion as you.   There are old earth creationists and young earth, there are those who believe in a literal 7 day creation and those who believe it was metaphorical.  There are those who see the bible as a complete literal truth and others who believe parts are only moral stories (although which parts are to be read which way seems a point of debate).

There are those who pour over every last word, compare those to the oldest translations and debate the meaning of the translations, and millions who haven't even read the book cover to cover once and yet call themselves completely convinced Christians.

Its a massive wide range, so don't make the mistake of thinking everyone will think one particular way.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2020 at 9:24 AM, florduh said:

It does seem like the deity said he would kill everybody in 120 years. I guess he would do that because he made a mistake, didn't know how things would go, or simply has no respect for any of the life forms on this planet. But it remains to be seen why it would be delayed 120 years since he already made the decision for genocide.

So the deity told you that when men began to multiply upon the face of the earth that everybody would be killed in a 120 years?   Well shoot man, I wouldn't believe that deity either. 

On 3/31/2020 at 1:12 PM, Wertbag said:

I had heard this idea from several different Christians, probably those with a literal reading but little in-depth research (a category that a great number of people would fall into).

A quick Google search found these examples:

https://www.bibleref.com/Genesis/6/Genesis-6-3.html

https://www.neverthirsty.org/bible-qa/qa-archives/question/to-what-does-the-120-years-in-genesis-63-refer/

Of course everyone hears of an idea from somebody who had the idea originally.     I don't know how far this website archives the post of members, yet I referenced the  '120 years' being the days of man  in posts on this website in 2015 and well before that on others.  But that wouldn't prove anything because if posts can be added then then would be any reason to believe it validated anything.  

While bibleref.com  is affiliated with GotQuestions.com, you know the one announced that they already knew that neutrinos could travel faster than the speed of light after CERN announced it, and their website had a page that suggested they did, but when it was announced that the CERN results were in error they that immediately deleted the webpage they had put up and replaced it with the original one they had posted, you mean those people?   The info about the bibleref webstite indicates it began in 2016.  However in the parent website, GotQuestions.com it "something happened at the global flood to shorten men lifespan's"

While neverthristy.org is a website started by Like the Master Ministries which began in 2016.  Check out their EIN number. 86-0935688

As I stated that I haven't heard one claim asserting that the LORD had set the days of man in the flesh at a 120 years and neither of those websites state that man's lifespan in the flesh upon earth was set at 120 years.   

If you had read on the neverthristy.org webpage you cited, they made the conclusion that the 120 years referenced in Genesis 6:3 referred to that time that the global flood would occur. 

On 3/31/2020 at 1:12 PM, Wertbag said:

As its been clarified this idea of the 120 years being related to lifespan is incorrect, therefore trying to validate the data used for an incorrect statement is of no value.

LOL, please. 

If the interpretation, or hypothesis if you will, is that man does not live in the flesh over 120 years, then a falsiability of the hypothesis would be that if a person lives over 120 years then that "hypothesis' is untrue.    And if data presents itself which shows the falsiability of the hypothesis, then it wouldn't make a difference to you whether it was true or not because you don't believe the hypothesis.  But then again, it wouldn't make any difference to you would it

On 3/30/2020 at 11:46 PM, Weezer said:

I actually was in a bad mood at the time and thought, "oh no, another sophomoric discussion", and was being sarcastic.  I should have kept my mouth shut.  Or my fingers off the keyboard. 

Since people usually talk about what they consider to be true rather than what they don't consider true, at least productive people anyways, maybe you brought it up because you believe that death could be programmed into the human genome to occur at a given point of time if all other causation for death had failed, oh heck what am I saying.  But who were you being sarcastic too?

On 3/31/2020 at 5:10 AM, LogicalFallacy said:

They hadn't learned at that stage that shit just happens! I present you case exhibit A - Covid19. 

Of course, a patent for a Coronavirus virus might suggest that shit doesn't just happen.    Do the vaccines for these viruses  just happen? 

Of course there is patent for a Coronavirus, it is a US patent # 10130701 and here is the link to the USPO to verify it.  

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=10130701.PN.&OS=PN/10130701&RS=PN/10130701

Do you know why they patent vaccines for infectious diseases?

On 3/30/2020 at 12:28 PM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I heard one apologist put forth the notion that 120 years was how long it took Noah to build the ark.

Yet they never apologize for claiming that all mankind on earth originated from one woman,  do they?  

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, Justus said:

Yet they never apologize for claiming that all mankind on earth originated from one woman,  do they?  

Technically, all apologists do is apologize.  That's why they're called "apologists".  They just don't typically offer the kind of apologies we'd like to hear.

On 3/1/2020 at 10:31 AM, Wertbag said:

I've heard it said God put a maximum life span on humans, but if that were so it didn't seem to kick in for several thousand years with Noah living to 950. The oldest recorded and verified person was a French lady who was 122, so did Gods curse miss her? 

We cannot really know what the scriptures... that God inspired to be written as our manual for life ...mean. 

6 hours ago, Justus said:

Of course, a patent for a Coronavirus virus might suggest that shit doesn't just happen.    Do the vaccines for these viruses  just happen? 

Of course there is patent for a Coronavirus, it is a US patent # 10130701 and here is the link to the USPO to verify it.  

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=10130701.PN.&OS=PN/10130701&RS=PN/10130701

https://factcheck.afp.com/false-claims-patents-fuel-novel-coronavirus-conspiracy-theories-online

"A Google search for the European patent number leads to this Google Patents page, which makes clear it is aimed at a disease affecting birds that is caused by a member of the coronavirus family....

Avian infectious bronchitis virus (IBV), the aetiological agent of infectious bronchitis (IB), is a highly infectious and contagious pathogen of domestic fowl ...

The present invention also relates to the use of such a coronavirus in a vaccine to prevent and/or treat a disease..."

• Super Moderator

Are you suggesting that Justus' statement is patently false?

9 hours ago, Justus said:

My point went right over your head. Re read my post, think about it, and come back with a better reply.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, midniterider said:

https://factcheck.afp.com/false-claims-patents-fuel-novel-coronavirus-conspiracy-theories-online

"A Google search for the European patent number leads to this Google Patents page, which makes clear it is aimed at a disease affecting birds that is caused by a member of the coronavirus family....

Why would anyone use the data from a European patent search if the patent number is for a US patent? Just curious....   

Of course, a patent for a Coronavirus virus might suggest that shit doesn't just happen.  

As far as I know, the only live virus from the coronavirus family of viruses that can be patented is one has been attenuated.  If not mistaken a live attenuated cornavirus is a virus used for vaccines.  But at least you made the effort to make inquiry, but the only reason viruses are created that aren't attenuated is for use as a biological weapon, so no nobody files a patent for creating a disease.  I am not saying that the Convid-19 is a made man or anything of the sorts.

1 hour ago, Justus said:

Why would anyone use the data from a European patent search if the patent number is for a US patent? Just curious....   

As far as I know, the only live virus from the coronavirus family of viruses that can be patented is one has been attenuated.  If not mistaken a live attenuated cornavirus is a virus used for vaccines.  But at least you made the effort to make inquiry, but the only reason viruses are created that aren't attenuated is for use as a biological weapon, so no nobody files a patent for creating a disease.  I am not saying that the Convid-19 is a made man or anything of the sorts.

Oh ok then.

21 hours ago, Justus said:

As I stated that I haven't heard one claim asserting that the LORD had set the days of man in the flesh at a 120 years and neither of those websites state that man's lifespan in the flesh upon earth was set at 120 years.   

If you had read on the neverthristy.org webpage you cited, they made the conclusion that the 120 years referenced in Genesis 6:3 referred to that time that the global flood would occur

I'm not even sure what you are arguing at this point, just seems to be arguing for the sake of it now.  The statement "some people have read 120 years and have taken that to mean lifespan" is really not that controversial.  In the Christian population of billions, finding people who have taken it literally is so incredibly easy to believe that I'm stunned that this is even a sticking point for you.

So what is your point here?  That if you haven't heard it it can't possibly be true?  That its inconceivable that any Christian could have the wrong understanding of this passage?

21 hours ago, Justus said:

LOL, please. 

If the interpretation, or hypothesis if you will, is that man does not live in the flesh over 120 years, then a falsiability of the hypothesis would be that if a person lives over 120 years then that "hypothesis' is untrue.    And if data presents itself which shows the falsiability of the hypothesis, then it wouldn't make a difference to you whether it was true or not because you don't believe the hypothesis.  But then again, it wouldn't make any difference to you would it

Hence my question.  The idea stated didn't make sense for the reason given, so I ask the group, knowing that many people here know the bible much better than I will ever care to.  Sure enough I received quick and clear answers to the question, and now have a better understanding of what the true answer should be.  There is no deeper issue here, just a quick question with a quick answer.  Its not something of earth shattering importance, just an oddity that I wanted clarity on, nothing more.