Goodbye Jesus

New athiest

PSR

Hi, after many years of questioning my Christian faith, last night I became an atheist. 

I've 40 years of god and religion to undo in my thinking. 

My brain is on overdrive and feels like it's about to explode.

It's all a bit scary at the moment. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Welcome!

Welcome to the community of apostates, PSR!  Always a pleasure to welcome a new member...

I’m guessing that not many of us can pinpoint a specific date when we became atheists: in my case, there was a period of at least several months from when I knew I was no longer a Christian to when I acknowledged I had arrived at atheism (agnostic atheism, as we are discussing in another current thread).  

You’re right: there is a lot of mental shifting and reprogramming that occurs during and after a transition like this.  Hanging out here at Ex-Christian.net helped me a lot and I’m sure it will benefit you too.  Let me ask you, have you been reading (lurking, I guess) here for a while now, or did you just find us today?  I and many others did a lot of silent reading here as part of the deconversion process, before introducing ourselves. 

Anyway, I’m looking forward to hearing more about you and your journey,  to the extent you want to share.  And again, the warmest of welcomes to you!

TABA

• Like 4

It is great to have you aboard! Welcome!

• Super Moderator

Feel free to ask questions and vent as necessary.  I'd also suggest keeping the five stages of grief in mind.  Many of us have gone through each stage to a greater or lesser extent.  

5-stages-grief.jpg

• Like 3

Hi and welcome, PSR...leaving the cult is a big decision. But you'll find lots of support here...its a great place to be :)

• Like 1

Hey @PSR,

Welcome to Ex-C.

Your current condition sounds familiar to me and I'm sure to others here as well. I spent two years reading the bible, some prominent xtian apologist works,  and some prominent atheist/agnostic books WHILE undergoing the intense indoctrination and re-indoctrination attempts of a church and it's pastor. My head was exploding too. I came to two conclusions from all of that.

1. It should not be that hard or confusing to accept something. If you have to work at it and are vacillating then something is wrong.
  2. The xtian doctrine is likely B.S.

Glad you found us and hope to hear more from you.

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

3 hours ago, PSR said:

Hi, after many years of questioning my Christian faith, last night I became an atheist. 

Welcome! It takes time, lots of time, and it's an emotional roller coaster when you leave. It gets better though and there are resources that can help, so just ask if you need to be pointed somewhere etc or need advice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TABA said:

Let me ask you, have you been reading (lurking, I guess) here for a while now, or did you just find us today?  I and many others did a lot of silent reading here as part of the deconversion process, before introducing ourselves. 

My husband has been an atheist for about 10 years I think it is, from christian background too.  He posted on here back then. He shared the posts with me a couple of days back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PSR said:

My husband has been an atheist for about 10 years I think it is, from christian background too.  He posted on here back then. He shared the posts with me a couple of days back.

Even better: it’s great that you’re on the same page now.  Relationships can be challenging enough without religious differences to deal with.  Works better for some than for others.  Do you have kids?  

Maybe your husband can come back and rejoin us for a while!

• Thanks 1

Welcome to ExC.  It’s great to read that you have your husband’s experience and support as you come to terms with with the fact that Christianity is a false religion.

3 hours ago, PSR said:

WOW!

Is this the first documented occurrence of Ex-C married couples both finding their way out of the mind-control?

I envy you, @PSR! :(

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome PSR

To quote Obi Wan "You have taken your first step into a larger world"

It sounds like you have an immediate support crew in the form of your husband - indeed a good thing to have.

Try not to rush things - 40 years of religion does not go away overnight.

You have our support here - if there are questions, things you wish to discuss simply post away.

• Like 2

Guest freedwoman
11 hours ago, PSR said:

Welcome. Glad to have you.

🤗

Welcome aboard! I'm glad for you that your husband is on the same page. That should make things much easier for you.

There are people here with all sorts of experiences, so your story will resonate with many and you'll receive good advice and plain-old encouragement.

Welcome PSR. We have had people come here who just flipped the switch one day and didn't look back but typically it takes time to deconvert and I think several years is quite common. I wonder if things are as settled as you indicate because you also say your "brain is on overdrive and feels like it's about to explode." Don't try to do this faster than your comfortable with. If you were a believer for 40 years then the church community may still have real meaning for you even if the message doesn't ring true anymore. You have your husband for support but the journey is your own and there are many things you'll have to reconsider in light of this new line of reasoning and new conclusions you have come to. Glad you're here. We have followed many who have made this deconversion journey and can quite possibly help you if your road turns rocky. I think you'll find that life is clearer and progress much more possible as you move beyond christianity. Keep us posted if you can.  

• Like 3

Welcome from me.

You are starting an exciting journey - joyful at times, challenging at other times. Don't ever give up asking questions. And lots of the answers are here. This is my experience - and I was a Christian for over 60 years, much of that time in ministry.

• Like 4

On 3/5/2020 at 8:11 AM, PSR said:

Just like that? 

I can pin point one night when I stopped believing it. I was saying my prayers and it just hit me like a load of bricks that the whole thing was inner dialogue. This came as the result of wrestling around with the arguments between atheists and christian apologists. I took in the arguments, sub conscious mind digested it for a while, and then the revelation that it was all make believe is what came back out as feedback. So I understand how something like that can happen suddenly all at once. 

Welcome aboard! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome PSR! Very glad you're here.

I stopped believing suddenly too, It can be scary now but don't worry it gets better with time.

Hmm PSR kinda reminds me of PBR. Now I feel like having one! 

slide_247526_1446738_free.jpg

Welcome.  I don't remember the date, but I do remember the moment that I realized that I was an atheist.  It was profound, and not exactly pleasant.  But, I am glad it happened.

• Like 3

So why did you go to atheism instead of trying other religions? Just curious.

On 3/5/2020 at 7:33 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Feel free to ask questions and vent as necessary.  I'd also suggest keeping the five stages of grief in mind.  Many of us have gone through each stage to a greater or lesser extent.  

5-stages-grief.jpg

Hey now, I was taught in my charismatic Sunday School that circumscribed pentagrams are a no no.... =p

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, Insightful said:

Hey now, I was taught in my charismatic Sunday School that circumscribed pentagrams are a no no.... =p

That's actually why I chose this picture.  😈

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

So why did you go to atheism instead of trying other religions? Just curious.

I know this question was not directed at me but, for the sake of newly minted ex-christians, I feel I should opine.

It is not necessary to go from one man-made bullshit doctrine to another.

• Like 5