older

Religious freedom: a scary thought

Here's a piece from the New York Times about the current efforts to give religious organizations the right to discriminate based on the notion of religious freedom. Here is an important paragraph:

Under the proposed regulations, faith-based aid organizations that receive public money are free to hire and fire their workers and subcontractors on account of their religion, sexual orientation, or any other behavior or characteristic that the organization finds religiously appealing or objectionable. Aid-providing organizations will no longer have any obligation to let members of the public receiving their services know if there are available nonsectarian options. Organizations that receive their money through vouchers and other forms of indirect aid can now proselytize, require that recipients participate in religious activities or ask that recipients pledge their loyalty to Jesus. And the government itself is no longer required to offer a nonsectarian option for those whose beliefs or conscience make it impossible for them to accept aid on these terms.

The last sentence of the above is very troubling. There is much more to this than the above, and it's very scary. Here is a link to the complete article, which I recommend reading: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/opinion/sunday/trump-evangelicals.html

I am reminded of some prison programs of the past that were faith-based and folks were given no secular option. As I recall, this was challenged and won, but it looks like we may be headed backwards. 

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

• Like 2

The new movement is currently using taxpayer dollars to fund churches through side doors, like the Baptist church running some of the child cage prisons along the border. There they are not (that I know of) evangelizing but simply providing a service and getting millions of tax dollars. Many people are pissed about the current open corruption, and rubber stamping of the things you wrote of.

22 hours ago, older said:

As I recall, this was challenged and won, but it looks like we may be headed backwards. 

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I could really get on a "soap box" with this subject.  YES IT IS A DANGEROUS MOVEMENT.  In more ways than one.   Having worked with different children's service agencies for 20 years, I can assure you the pedophiles are jumping at the chance to work with those children at the border.

I also recently read the book, THE FAMILY, by Jeff Sharlet, and watched the Netflix series by the same name.  If this subject interests you at all, watch the Netflix series.  The book is interesting if you like details, but is very wordy.   There is a power movement going on to make this a christian nation, and put the power in "Christian" hands.  And the Christianity they are interested in is not the love your neighbor as yourself Christianity.   They are using Trump and his power hungry buddies to their advantage.  And filling the supreme court with "Christians".  They believe God accomplishes his purposes through imperfect, powerful men.  They don't necessarily agree with their accomplishments,  but study the tactics of men like Hitler, Stalin,  etc. 

Even though my wife is still Christian, she sees the danger here, and we regularly let our congressmen know our concerns.  I HOPE EVERYONE ON THIS WEBSITE WILL DO THE SAME!

Thanks Older for posting this thread!

• Like 2