Goodbye Jesus

Any newbie ex christians?

Panther

Thanks.  I keep wondering where I can meet people who won't be offended by this.  Nearly everyone I know are Christians.  [i mean people in the flesh and not online.]

Right here...keep posting your heart out!! It does a heart good..... :grin:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Panther

• mick

• scitsofreaky

• Taphophilia

Hey,

I have really just come to grips with my non-belief within the last few years, though I haven't really believed in decades. Anyway, I just wanted to attempt an answer to your question about going from xtian to atheist.

For me, once I opened my mind to the ridiculous nature of xianity I really felt as though I should fill the void it left with some other 'religion'. I did some not-so-serious research and found that all of the religions are pretty silly when you get right down to it. They all deny our natural human state in some way or another, probably none more than xianity.

I think that if you are a truly rational person, that atheism is going to be the natural conclusion to your journey because if you apply the same critical thinking to all religions that you do to xianity, they all will fall short of reason.

I am happier now than I have ever been in my life and am a better person than I ever was as a xian and I am an out of the closet full blown ATHEIST!

The journey is a little tough sometimes but it is worth it.

Yes, actually, I am starting to understand how that conclusion could come....I have been doing the same thing, searching for something to replace it. Not such an easy task because you're right. I am seeing the silly notions in most other belief systems as well and actually, it just took the darn fun out of it! :grin:

Starting to realize I don't have to believe in anything really.....

Right here...keep posting your heart out!! It does a heart good..... :grin:

:)

I just looked at some of my posts and noticed how depressed I sound. I need to shake myself out of that. TGIF!!!

• 10 months later...
Guest uu_sage

Hey everybody! I'm not what you call a "newbie" but let's just say for discussion sake I'm new to the forums. I broke my ties with Christian orthodoxy (Conservative Baptist Church of America/Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) when I was 16 spent two years looking up alternative philosophies/religious traditions until I stumbed on Unitarian Universalism. At 18 I came out to my parents and told about UUism and what it means. I ended up with two seperate reactions. My father is the more liberal of the two, encouraged me in my search for truth, beauty, justice and love. My mother is the typical Evangelical/Fundy and just as expected she condemned me to fire and brimestone. (yeah, that shows me the love of God) In June of 04, I started visiting what is now my home congregationMonte Vista UU From the moment I first stepped in the doors, I felt like I was coming home to kindred spirts and knew once and for all this is my home. In November of that same year, I and three others signed the membership book signaling our official entrance into this awesome, liberal, freethinking faith. It's been a year now and I'm proud to be a Unitarian!

On the issue of God, I'm an agnostic

As for labels other than agnostic, I draw my influence from all religious, spiritual, and philosophical paths especially Buddhism.

Hi,

Been evangelical for 17 years. I am right there with you right now. I have one friend that I am talking to regularly who is having the same issue.

Mick

Hello~

I left christianity just recently. :woohoo:

Anyone else here pretty new with the same issue?

If so, I would like to discuss NEW issues that have come up since.

OR

if anyone else would like to help me through this~

Thanks!

Lisa

Hello and welcome UU Sage and Mick,

Thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoy your stay. Jump right in to any discussion, ask questions and feel free to contribute.

Taph

Hi,

I am hurting deeply over what this 17 year experience has done to me. My family is a divided house now. (At least within me) To think of how sick I felt. How we are evil awful people with nothing good in us. Then I stopped burying how I felt about all the OT attrocites.

The toughest part for me is that my childrens hearts are going to continue to be indoctrinated. My 8 year girl is so sweet. SHe recently came to me and obviously was hurting some and she said "Daddy, why can't all those people just say I'm sorry?" This was before my epiphoney but I was getting there. I said, "hon, I'm not sure that they can't." For the sake of my home I have decided to live as a Christian who no longer believes that ANYONE goes to Hell. The illogic of my position is striking to me though. I don't beleive the OT, I don't belive most of the NT. Where this will lead baffles me. I guess I will be a kind of Christian Deist, who believes there is no Hell, and God is not mean but NICE!!. (but then where did evil come from though?) That's the thing the fundamentalist chritstan god is not NICE!!

As I read through a long string of OT attrocites attributed to God, I was hit with how rediculous it is to fear NOT believing them? WTF!!!

If someone asks me what I gave up for Lent I am going to say fundamentalism.

Other than all that I have no strong feelings on these matters. ;-0

Hello~

I left christianity just recently. :woohoo:

Anyone else here pretty new with the same issue?

If so, I would like to discuss NEW issues that have come up since.

OR

if anyone else would like to help me through this~

Thanks!

Lisa

Hello again Mick,

Wecome to the journey we have experienced. You are now free to use you brain and think about and believe according to your own ideas and rationale, not someone elses thoughts, ideas, interpretations, or twisted logic. A new and sometimes frightening journey into your own defined spirituality awaits you. Your kids have you for a father, they will be fine in the long run.

Taph

Hi Taph,

Thanks for the kind words. I feel strange releif right now, really only burderned by the relationship problems I will have hear on earth, rather than any horrible ghastly afterlife fires. Ironically, I could have just kept trusting Christ for my own "fire insurance". However, I felt too much pain for everyone else, and could never reconcile that a loving God would do it anyway. The rest of it falls apart after that, especially with how absurd the Bible really is. I am convinced that most Christians are like zombies who have shut off their brains, and even their owen conscience. The conscience thing is ironic, because Christians tend to think of themselves as "made righteous". However, you have to ignore a basic part of you that knows good and right and wrong to aloow for an eternal Hell, and for the OT attrocites. If there is a God, he will likely be most mad with the poeple who said he did all these things. I am convinved that most Christians don't read the OT. If they do they can't believe it and go into zombie mode. I am fortunate that I have a close friend who is doing the same thing as me right now. he was telling me about when he read through the entire OT when he was a young Christian, and he kept thinking things to himself like "O my God, just keep reading.. it somehow is still OK.. OMG It somehow is still all good.. horrified...somehow is right in the end, ..." Unbelievable! When the blinders come off it is amazing.

Hello again Mick,

Wecome to the journey we have experienced. You are now free to use you brain and think about and believe according to your own ideas and rationale, not someone elses thoughts, ideas, interpretations, or twisted logic. A new and sometimes frightening journey into your own defined spirituality awaits you. Your kids have you for a father, they will be fine in the long run.

Taph

Hi Mick,

I'm really glad your here. We have lots of discussions about all those things you mention. We discuss Christianity, the Bible, Jesus, and God often. I know you will have a lot to contribute and look forward to hearing your views and ideas on the subjects. Take your time and read through many of the threads. It's not possible to participate on the boards and not learn not only knowledege but about yourself as well.

We are here to support and encourage you and let you know you are not alone. We all have been where you are now

Taph

Guest singlecoil

Hi Mick,

I am a recently deconvereted fundy (29 yrs) with three kids. My biggest concern too is that my kids will continue to have one parent who no longer believes and one that still does. I don't suppose there are any easy answers but to be truthful about why you think what you do, but I understand the concern. I have seen some pretty good advice from people on here that have already gone through what I'm facing.

Nice to have you here.

A friend just called me on my cell to "encourgae" me. He shared proverbs 16:4. Which basically says that the Lord has Plans to punish the wicked or something like thAT and that the wicked are not our concern. He actually thought that would actually make me happy or I'd be like "Oh OK, now I get it. He is going to punsih them all" OK now I'm good again. It was like he is saying you don't need to care aT all about them so stop sweating it. Revenge is the Lord's. I'm driving home thinking Who's the wicked? Am I know wicked compared to him? I am so mad.

Hi Mick,

I am a recently deconvereted fundy (29 yrs) with three kids. My biggest concern too is that my kids will continue to have one parent who no longer believes and one that still does. I don't suppose there are any easy answers but to be truthful about why you think what you do, but I understand the concern. I have seen some pretty good advice from people on here that have already gone through what I'm facing.

Nice to have you here.

Nice "encouragement" from your friend there Mick.

Since when is friendship = to emotional terrorism? Your so called pal there just gave you a "soft" threat. Nice friend.

Feel free to vent here when your fundie friends pull this crap. It WILL continue, and you will find yourself more and more put off by it. Especially when they really "insult" you by acting as though you are totally green to the religion. They can be pretty patronizing. And your anger will be like candy to them, so try to control the frustration until you are in a "safe" place.....like here.

We will be happy to listen.

Thank You,

I struggle with anxiety fairly badly anyway. So after he called I'm feeling very crappy, anxious, etc. I have to say to myself, no you are not anxious because God is convicting you, you are anxious because you are always anxious, what he said was stressful and it messed you up. Normal crap. Also, I was anxious all the time as a Christian as well so it measn nothing.

Nice "encouragement" from your friend there Mick.

Since when is friendship = to emotional terrorism? Your so called pal there just gave you a "soft" threat. Nice friend.

Feel free to vent here when your fundie friends pull this crap. It WILL continue, and you will find yourself more and more put off by it. Especially when they really "insult" you by acting as though you are totally green to the religion. They can be pretty patronizing. And your anger will be like candy to them, so try to control the frustration until you are in a "safe" place.....like here.

We will be happy to listen.

If its any comfort Mick..the anxiety lessons over time. Give it time. Take a deep breath..relax. As can be attested to by most here..no lightening bolts out of the sky or anything like that happened after deconversion.. :grin:

Mick,

What kind of relationship problems are you going through?

For a long time after my deconvertion from Christianity, I thought I was going to go hell because I was not able to believe anymore. Then when life was on the down swing or I was just depressed, I thought it was because I wasn't a Christian any longer. I would think that if would just "get right with God" my problems would magically disappear. I knew in ny head that wasn't true, but it takes a while for your heart to catch up to your head.

Taph

When the blinders come off it is amazing.

Well its a pleasure to have you here sans blinders and looking to further your mind.

All the best to you. We'll back you up & give you plenty of into as needed.

Devout Christian wife, little kids on their way to be Christian, judgemental friends. Fortunatley I have one very close friend who is going through the same thing.

Mick,

For a long time after my deconvertion from Christianity, I thought I was going to go hell because I was not able to believe anymore. Then when life was on the down swing or I was just depressed, I thought it was because I wasn't a Christian any longer. I would think that if would just "get right with God" my problems would magically disappear. I knew in ny head that wasn't true, but it takes a while for your heart to catch up to your head.

Taph

Devout Christian wife, little kids on their way to be Christian, judgemental friends.

Good to see you again, mick! Your reaction to your friend who quoted Proverbs is the reaction of someone who is thinking for themselves and thinking about all of the ramifications of these "words of wisdom."

Again, I'm really glad you are thinking this all through. Big handshake/shoulder slap, dude.

Thanks man,

I'm convinced that Xtians don't read OT or go into full zombie mode when they do.

Devout Christian wife, little kids on their way to be Christian, judgemental friends.

Good to see you again, mick! Your reaction to your friend who quoted Proverbs is the reaction of someone who is thinking for themselves and thinking about all of the ramifications of these "words of wisdom."

Again, I'm really glad you are thinking this all through. Big handshake/shoulder slap, dude.

Devout Christian wife, little kids on their way to be Christian, judgemental friends. Fortunatley I have one very close friend who is going through the same thing.

Mick,

Taph

Well, you have plenty of friends here, mick. Just ask if you need help with anything.

Hey Mick - chin up, boy! You're just getting your neural jack unplugged from the Matrix, so to speak. It can be a little rough. :ugh:

Just remember, things aren't always going to be like this. Eventually (and probably sooner than you think), you'll find your footing and things will settle down. Just try to be patient - easier said than done, I know. :rolleyes:

Use this site to help encourage yourself - there's always a sympathetic ear around, and usually some good ideas, too.

FLUFFYBABYBUNNY.jpg

Just a little sign that even if there's no god, there's plenty of things in life that are still adorable and awesome.

Hey Mick,

I feel your pain. Although I never converted, I actually cried when I read some of the attrocities in the bible, especially the ones about dashing the children to the rocks and ripping babies from the their mothers's womb. I had always thought that ALL religion were based on love, and it is men who misuse it, but it was sad to read that the bible has actually been the ROOT of problems for humanity(Slavery,women's status, science, racism, Holocaust) rather than the SOLUTION.

Off course down the road, I realised that the reason why I got upset in the first place was because I actually thought that this was all REAL, and GOD actually did this. However once you read it again, you kind of realise that this nothing more than MAN creating GOD in his IMAGE.

It is nothing more than a ancient nomadic tribe of people who are appeasing their TRIBAL war god, just like the Aztecs sacrificed their own for their GODS.

There is very little evidence that these campaign of Joshua, David, Solomon actually took place. I mean come on, do you actually think that David killed A GIANT. Most of it is nothing more than exaggeration.

Think about it, the NAZI and CRUSADORS thought that God told them to commit attrocties, but even in your Xtian day, you knew this was bogus. I don't see why you should treat the ISREALITES any different?Just because it is revered by millions of people.

So in short I was actually getting upset over NON-EXISTANT god and IMAGINARY events.

I hope you find peace in your journey.

Take care

PS: Do check out the link in my signature. It is one of the best bible based rebuttals to many christian claim. No Xtian till date could answer the questions that were posed there.

A pleasure to meet you Mick.

I attend church regularly with my girlfriend. I emailed her pastor, anonymously, a couple weeks ago, but he does not have the decency to even acknowledge my question. Here is what I wrote:

Dear Pastor *****,

I attend ***** Church fairly regularly and I have many questions that continue to crop up in my mind. I have asked friends for help with them, but seem to get the same answers, and find them wanting.

Please allow me to remain anonymous, for now. I honestly wish I did not have these questions, and don't want people to look differently at me, because of them.

If you feel that not knowing my name will hinder your response, please don't think it will discourage me if you don't answer. I consider you to be the most genuine, sincere, and wisest pastor I have ever learned from, and if you can't answer my questions, that is OK.

Psalm 19:

7 The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

8 The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes.

9 The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous.

10 They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb.

11 By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.

In light of these Old Testament verses, how are we to think of verses like these?

Deut. 21:

18 If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him,

19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." 21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

My question is this; if Psalm 19 is to be honored, and we are to consider the laws, statutes, precepts, commands, and ordinances of the Lord as perfect, trustworthy, right, and righteous, then why do we ignore Deut. 21:18, 19, which is clearly a...command, law, statute...?

I have asked several people why we ignore certain Old Testament biblical commands, and I always get; "Well, that is in the Old Testament." as a response. In other words, we are no longer under the law of the Old Testament, yet, you read from Psalm 19 this past Sunday, and as it says in verse 11; ...in keeping them there is great reward.

Just one of my many questions.

Thank you for your time.

I have no idea if he suspects the email was from me or not. I have been attending with my girlfriend for almost a year, and he seldom talks to me, other than a "good morning".

I continue to be surprised...that I am surprised at the lack of concern and compassion that Christians display.