Goodbye Jesus

Any newbie ex christians?

Panther

Hey Lisa,

I am new to being an exchristian (about 6months).

It is a little tough at first if you have lost a lot of friends. But look at it this way, How good of friends were they really? If they blackballed you then they were not true friends. I like to say with friends like that who needs enemies. Personally I lost my friends, my job and my religious beliefs all in one week! It was like someone dropped a bomb on me. It will get better and you will find your way.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Panther

• mick

• scitsofreaky

• Taphophilia

I deconverted completely from Christianity a couple of years ago, although the process was slow going and I was a liberal Christian for quite some time.

I haven't told everyone in my extended family yet, though I'm sure they suspect. My parents know and have been pretty okay with it, although my stepmom seems to be in denial from time to time. She still tries to get me to pray and go to church, for example. I just tell her, sorry but that doesn't work for me anymore.

Anyway, I lost one friend over it. Life goes on. I have many new friends now, especially from this site. You guys are the best.

Liberal Xtianity is my first step. However, it all seems like so much foolishness now. What a waiste of life.

I did speak with my wife in baby steps. let her know that I think fundamentalism has Hell all wrong. She was open to that so far. I explained to her about translation problems. The whole thing feels so messed up now.

The fear thing realy pisses me off. Religion of love? Rediculous. I fear Hell some times, but it is rediculous and in a weird sort of way prooves it all even more to me. Xtianity is a religion of fear and coersion and shunning and treating people like crap.

I deconverted completely from Christianity a couple of years ago, although the process was slow going and I was a liberal Christian for quite some time.

I haven't told everyone in my extended family yet, though I'm sure they suspect. My parents know and have been pretty okay with it, although my stepmom seems to be in denial from time to time. She still tries to get me to pray and go to church, for example. I just tell her, sorry but that doesn't work for me anymore.

Anyway, I lost one friend over it. Life goes on. I have many new friends now, especially from this site. You guys are the best.

My favorite verse I always come back to that basically says "this whole thing is the world's most popular lie" is Isaiah 45:7 KJV where God makes it explicitly clear that he creates EVIL!!

Try and find a way to argue or apologize around that one!

The fear thing realy pisses me off. Religion of love? Rediculous. I fear Hell some times, but it is rediculous and in a weird sort of way prooves it all even more to me. Xtianity is a religion of fear and coersion and shunning and treating people like crap.

You're further along than you may admit Mick. You already see the basic doctrines as bullshit, but you are stuck in the 'stick' part of the carrot and stick mind fuck called Christianity.

Do yourself a favor. Do some research. I recommend the following in the order provided:

Carl Sagan "The Demon Haunted World"

Karen Armstrong "The History of God"

Silberman and Finkelstein "The Bible Uncovered"

The Old Testament.

Earl Doherty's web site.

The New Testament.

others recommend "Losing Faith in Faith", but I haven't read it so I can't personally suggest it.

Carl Sagan presented perhaps the most compelling case I've seen in favor of rational thought. "The Demon Haunted World" is one of a very small number of books I've read multiple times.

Next, do the unthinkable (from a Christian perspective), blaspheme the holy spirit. Since this is the one unforgivable sin according to Christian mythology, carrying it out can be tremendously psychological freeing. Join me here now in the blasphemer's prayer and know you can never go back...

"Jesus was Satan and every miracle he performed was a demonic act of treachery aimed at tricking people into thinking this bastard was god."

I said this outloud after I typed it. I can't go back no matter how much I might want to. Join me in saying these words out loud and you will be free!

Liberal Xtianity is my first step. However, it all seems like so much foolishness now. What a waiste of life.

I did speak with my wife in baby steps. let her know that I think fundamentalism has Hell all wrong. She was open to that so far. I explained to her about translation problems. The whole thing feels so messed up now.

Man, it's a trip when you first realize something as set in stone and agreed-upon as the bible is in reality a book of terrible fairy tales. Even now it blows my mind to think that for 2,000 years people have tried to force reality to conform to the 'laws' of that book.

And it's all bullshit! :shrug: You might as well be worshipping Apollo, and believe Pandora existed and literally opened a box of all mankind's misfortune. Amazing.

Hello~

I left christianity just recently. :woohoo:

Anyone else here pretty new with the same issue?

If so, I would like to discuss NEW issues that have come up since.

OR

if anyone else would like to help me through this~

Thanks!

Lisa

I'm new to being an ex-christian but not particularly new to the website!

This is a great thread...reading all of the responses now. :grin:

At 18 I came out to my parents and told about UUism and what it means. I ended up with two seperate reactions. My father is the more liberal of the two, encouraged me in my search for truth, beauty, justice and love. ... In November of that same year, I and three others signed the membership book signaling our official entrance into this awesome, liberal, freethinking faith. It's been a year now and I'm proud to be a Unitarian!

On the issue of God, I'm an agnostic

As for labels other than agnostic, I draw my influence from all religious, spiritual, and philosophical paths especially Buddhism.

Hi, uu_sage! I'm glad you've found a community. I love your search for truth, beauty, justice and love. I went to two UU churches where I live. They seemed too churchy, on the one hand, and too vague on the other. I don't get it - what does it mean to be an agnostic about God but affirm a "faith" that still talks about God? I'm not trying to be mean; I genuinely don't understand the point of religion that is as liberal as you make yours appear to be. If your understanding of the UUs is that it's not really religion but something else, then I guess I can understand that.

Guest uu_sage

Fincino! I'm happy you've taken the time to write something, and to get to know me better. In our tradition and in our congregations we are a very diverse bunch: some of us are Liberal Christians, others are humanist/agnostic/atheist, others find influence through Pagan/Earth Based Spirituality and others will have beliefs in between or something else. We are encouraged as Unitarian Universalists to engage in a responsible search for truth and meaning. Further we do not have a perscriped stance on issues like "God" and so people are free to create concepts of God meaningful to them or they have the option of rejecting the idea and term. I find its easy being an agnostic and still respecting the right of people to have a belief in "God" (whoever they find it valueable or not). We pledge to support one another in our search and pledge that we will agree to disagree (happens all the time). Another word to the wise is no two congregations are alike so what you saw is just a sample. I suppose you are right that we are not a religion but just as something else. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me.

For so more info visit http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490

Peace be the journey,

Shawn

At 18 I came out to my parents and told about UUism and what it means. I ended up with two seperate reactions. My father is the more liberal of the two, encouraged me in my search for truth, beauty, justice and love. ... In November of that same year, I and three others signed the membership book signaling our official entrance into this awesome, liberal, freethinking faith. It's been a year now and I'm proud to be a Unitarian!

On the issue of God, I'm an agnostic

As for labels other than agnostic, I draw my influence from all religious, spiritual, and philosophical paths especially Buddhism.

Hi, uu_sage! I'm glad you've found a community. I love your search for truth, beauty, justice and love. I went to two UU churches where I live. They seemed too churchy, on the one hand, and too vague on the other. I don't get it - what does it mean to be an agnostic about God but affirm a "faith" that still talks about God? I'm not trying to be mean; I genuinely don't understand the point of religion that is as liberal as you make yours appear to be. If your understanding of the UUs is that it's not really religion but something else, then I guess I can understand that.