Goodbye Jesus

Conversion Therapy in Canada

Canada27

I just thought I would share an uplifting news story we had in Canada today.  The federal government is introducing legislation to ban Conversion Therapy.  It seems like this "therapy" is based more on religious hatred of gay people than actual science.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lametti-conversion-therapy-eradicate-1.5491718

• Like 4

I am glad to see Canada is doing that.  We have vacationed in Canada several times over the years and have found most of the people to be "level headed".  LOL, If Trump gets reelected we may try to relocate there!

It was a discussion about gays about 20 years ago that led to my parents finding out that I was questioning Christianity.   I told my Dad that I thought God made them that way.  That it was not a choice. That led to the subject of an inerrant bible, and the rest is history.

• Like 2

Hey score one for the good guys!  I am disgusted by the continuation of these atrocious practices and would love to see them outlawed in my own country but that probably won't happen for a while.  

• Like 1

I see this as the unwanted infringement of government on personal choice. If a behaviour is chosen freely and without grosse use of physical harm ( army training would be illegal if we outlawed ANY physical harm ) than the government should not intervene. 

It is ideological imposition. It is the full right of a person to believe what he wants of his sexuality and act accordingly. I would not like to be dictated upon by some justice minister with an obvious ideology what to think and what to do as long as I am.not grossly hurting anyone. That measure reeks of the authoritarianism I am against. He can speak and preach BUT NOT outlaw.

The hypocrisy is so big. You protect freedom by outlawing a person s acces to forms of therapy? That is the contradiction of radicals in that area of " progressives".

5 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

The hypocrisy is so big. You protect freedom by outlawing a person s acces to forms of therapy? That is the contradiction of radicals in that area of " progressives".

It would be interesting to know if they are outlawing the therapy overall, or just the forced kind.  If a person wants it, I see your point.

7 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

I see this as the unwanted infringement of government on personal...

It is ideological imposition.

It is the same ideological imposition we place when we sensibly ban harmful pseudoscience, which we don't do nearly enough of for my way of thinking.  All other things being equal, I am okay with preventing access to "personal liberties" which exclusively bring harm to self or others. 

But you bring up a valid counter argument of informed consent.  To be honest, as repulsive as I find conversion therapy, there could be an argument made for your way of thinking.  After all I am against suicide but am okay with euthanasia (which admittedly is not a perfect comparison, but it's the best I could come up with). 

I'm honestly torn about this. Makes me mildly sick to my stomach but I can't maintain intellectual honesty and ignore a reasonable counterargument outright. Because if a person (with or without good reason) wants to get this therapy, do we do them a greater disservice by denying them this freedom on the assumption (again with or without good reason) that we are helping them.  

Road to hell, good intentions, etc etc.

What I will say is that overall I believe the societal benefit is greater to completely remove this scourge from existence and in all forms on nonconsensual / therapy aimed at children should be outlawed in any civilized country, full stop.  But as to whether or not that is worth curtailing individual liberty is basically the key issue as I see it.  

Thanks for making me challenge my own viewpoints today, Myr.  I'll shake your hand after I am done racking my brain. 

• Super Moderator

Virginia's measure, HB 386, which takes effect July 1, prohibits health care providers or counselors licensed by the state from subjecting anyone under 18 to the practice. Doing so, according to the bill, will constitute "unprofessional conduct and is grounds for disciplinary action."

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/virginia-becomes-20th-state-ban-conversion-therapy-minors-n1148421

My state, Virginia, is the first southern state to pass a ban on conversion therapy.  Parents can't force it on their minor children. 

Well, at least not legally.