Sign in to follow this  
LeiaBryant

Why does the Christian God treat women as inferior to men?

9 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

You're probably right A.  It's about trust, a Biblical concept.  And the Bible makes the analogy that the church is a woman, imagine that.  But to your comment, you "dumped a spouse"...broke trust essentially because you didn't have the wherewithal to not break your word.  Call me what you wish, but yeah, it's mutual thanks to many women with this same mindset.   

The vow was broken long before I made my move -- adultery, financial abuse, verbal abuse.  Kindly refrain from judging people when you don't know the first fucking thing about their personal experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, freedwoman said:

I guess I assumed you both were angry at me because I spoke my mind? I was never allowed to when I was growing up. I was overly emotional about this because I was treated like my moms punching bag as a child. Then when I grew up some men treated me like their punching bag. That's why choose to remain single and working. There is so much abuse in Christianity in regards to submitting to those in Biblical authority. My mom and dad never think domestic abuse is really abuse. They say it's because the wife was either rebellious, disobedient, or outspoken. That her husband is exercising his God given Biblical authority over her. One of my sisters came over with bruises her husband gave her. He beat her because she was cheating on him. My dad said that he would have done the same thing if he were being cheated on. My mom told her she deserved it for committing adultery. They had no problem sending her back to her husband. So yeah it's my fault and my fault only if I get beaten and raped by my husband. It's my fault for failing being a good wife. Sorry for getting too personal. I'm not any ones punching bag and I refuse to be treated like one again. I will fight back. I will not go down with out a fight. I will never be a victim. I realize I'm on my own. No God or family to save or help me. Also this is not a pity party. 

I issued an apology to both of you. I was being rash and not thinking clearly. I owe you both and apology and an explanation. My past is one the reasons I wrote "Biblically Battered Brides & Violence Against Women"

Also a long fuse sounds like something I and my family should aim for. 

Peace.

It's called past trauma - many people here suffer from it. And yes, religious people and fundamentalists will laugh at such an idea as others being traumatized by religion.  If you've been in therapy at all you will know that most people have "hot spots" which when triggered, result in deeper primary emotions coming to the surface, and when those do, they can override reason and logic. I'll give you an example - mine are set off when I feel someone is trying to control me in any way. And the history behind that is a lifetime of being controlled in a fundamentalist cult and having my decisions made for me. So I get set off when I even sense that someone is trying to influence one or my decisions. It helps to become aware of your hot spots and have people close to you be aware of them. 

I understand your reactions because I had similar ones over some issues after leaving religion. I still get incensed over some things to the extent that I know which people I need to avoid which subjects with. Most of us have very strong feelings over some issues that relate to past trauma. Therapy can gradually help that, and time. Nobody is trying to attack or demean you here but you may easily think that as you could have experienced such treatment from people.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

You're probably right A.  It's about trust, a Biblical concept.  And the Bible makes the analogy that the church is a woman, imagine that.  But to your comment, you "dumped a spouse"...broke trust essentially because you didn't have the wherewithal to not break your word.  Call me what you wish, but yeah, it's mutual thanks to many women with this same mindset.   

Who the fuck do you think you are to judge someone's personal decisions in a public forum when you don't know the first thing about them besides the few things stated? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Astreja said:

The vow was broken long before I made my move -- adultery, financial abuse, verbal abuse.  Kindly refrain from judging people when you don't know the first fucking thing about their personal experiences.

Right back at ya...

2 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Who the fuck do you think you are to judge someone's personal decisions in a public forum when you don't know the first thing about them besides the few things stated? 

Said the gal judging the visitors...

We have a troll. 

5 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

We have a troll. 

Wait wait wait... you just said prepare to defend your position when in the Den and you’re opting for crying troll rather than discussion??  

7 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Right back at ya...

Be careful what you ask for, Edgarcito.  (imagines the troll in the exact same straits as she experienced twenty years ago)

1 minute ago, Edgarcito said:

Wait wait wait... you just said prepare to defend your position when in the Den and you’re opting for crying troll rather than discussion??  

You call your comments "discussion"? Discussion is reserved for sensible people, not those trying to get a rise out of women by baiting them, or judging them - there's  no other explanation for your stupid comments. 

8 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

What you said was "over the top"!

1 minute ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

You call your comments "discussion"? Discussion is reserved for sensible people, not those trying to get a rise out of women by baiting them, or judging them - there's  no other explanation for your stupid comments. 

You are the one making the inane comments.  You won’t actually have a conversation with the lady in the other thread bc she can’t see your point..... yet.  You can’t remember her same phase when you were there??  She needs to see now!  Then you have no idea of my past and the reasons for my thoughts yet you defend Astreja and condemn me.  You’re a fn humanitarian...incapable of discussion...

Let me add that YOUR subjectivity and subsequent beliefs are valid but hers aren’t...explain that with facts please...

Everyone calm the fuck down.

Someone making asinine comments doesn't make them a troll.  Internet trolls are people who want to provoke and upset others online for their own amusement, not merely spouting ill considered opinions.

Edgar think before spouting shit man. Seriously I'm cringing reading some of your stuff. I agree with Weezer, some of your stuff is over the top. And don't bother with the Tu quoque fallacy. Pointing out someone else's behavior doesn't justify your own.

To paraphrase TRP: Everyone be nice, play nice.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:10 AM, TruthSeeker0 said:

Who are you addressing?

The person I quoted

22 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

I forgot the question LB....I read a few of your responses....self proclaimed witches scare me honestly.  I'll be glad to try and give an opinion if you have a specific one you would like to address.  Thanks.

I just asking you to address the ones in the opening post

On 4/26/2020 at 9:49 PM, freedwoman said:

Did you ever make comments about raping or beating women? Those are not funny or acceptable so called jokes. I can tolerate make me a sandwich jokes. But not rape or beating jokes. 

Well, "acceptable" is quite a loaded term when used about humour. I think anything is acceptable in humour, in general. But it depends on who I am talking to at the moment, what jokes I will make and what I will not make. Plus it really depends on the joke. I always joked about violent acts, from my friends to my mother. And she also laughed at some. I mean most of us have our soft spots where we cannot tolerate even humour. But that does not mean we should force everyone to accept our standards. If you do not like a joke , in, let's say, a stand up comedian routine, you just don't laugh at it. Funny is a very subjective experience. 

I actually consider humour necessary, especially for these very sensitive topics. I heard some joke from Dave Chappelle about pedophiles for exemple. They lighten the pressure. Emotional release can happen through cryng AND laughter :). 

So in general, it depends on the context. Sometimes, joking about death with a cancer patient helps a lot more than being tragic and suffering near him, sometimes the other way around.   

I found this video. It sounded interesting, especially from clearly feminist inclined women comics. 

Guest freedwoman
39 minutes ago, Myrkhoos said:

Well, "acceptable" is quite a loaded term when used about humour. I think anything is acceptable in humour, in general. But it depends on who I am talking to at the moment, what jokes I will make and what I will not make. Plus it really depends on the joke. I always joked about violent acts, from my friends to my mother. And she also laughed at some. I mean most of us have our soft spots where we cannot tolerate even humour. But that does not mean we should force everyone to accept our standards. If you do not like a joke , in, let's say, a stand up comedian routine, you just don't laugh at it. Funny is a very subjective experience. 

I actually consider humour necessary, especially for these very sensitive topics. I heard some joke from Dave Chappelle about pedophiles for exemple. They lighten the pressure. Emotional release can happen through cryng AND laughter :). 

So in general, it depends on the context. Sometimes, joking about death with a cancer patient helps a lot more than being tragic and suffering near him, sometimes the other way around.   

I found this video. It sounded interesting, especially from clearly feminist inclined women comics. 

Nevermind. 

If you are going to be a jokester, you need very good judgement about where and when to tell them.  And on a forum like this, where you don't really know the people, and you can't read each other's body language, it is best to be extremely careful.  I have learned that the hard way,  and still do a goof at times.

3 hours ago, Weezer said:

If you are going to be a jokester, you need very good judgement about where and when to tell them.  And on a forum like this, where you don't really know the people, and you can't read each other's body language, it is best to be extremely careful.  I have learned that the hard way,  and still do a goof at times.

Agreed, that is what I said in my post. It depends on the context. But the question I was answering was if I ever told jokes about violence and particularly sexual violence. It was not about jokes on this website. I think no subject should be, in absolute terms, outside the realm of comedy, as nothing is outside the realms of tragedy. Being somewhat trained in screenwriting, I can tell you that often, the same story can be tragic or comic depending on perspective , acting, and style.

• Sad 1

I doubt that joking about rape with a rape victim is going to make them feel better. 

So let's call it acceptable in the name of free speech, or the fact that no topic should be off limits in humour. You're with your bunch of guy friends and someone makes a joke about violence against women that everyone laughs off. And then participant x, who has been physically abusing his girlfriend (of which his friends are completely unaware - this is how it is in a lot of cases), has an argument with her that night, and turns to physical abuse again, and he's like "I'm justified, hell, even y was joking about it earlier." 

Yeah it's humour. But it also enables and justifies violence for some people because, it was made light of. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I doubt that joking about rape with a rape victim is going to make them feel better. 

So let's call it acceptable in the name of free speech, or the fact that no topic should be off limits in humour. You're with your bunch of guy friends and someone makes a joke about violence against women that everyone laughs off. And then participant x, who has been physically abusing his girlfriend (of which his friends are completely unaware - this is how it is in a lot of cases), has an argument with her that night, and turns to physical abuse again, and he's like "I'm justified, hell, even y was joking about it earlier." 

Yeah it's humour. But it also enables and justifies violence for some people because, it was made light of. 

Humour is a known emotional coping/release mechanism. Humour can decrease the apparent power of a perpretator. It can offer positive detachment. That is why it is not impossible to think it would be useful. Did you watch the short video of the female comedians talking about this issue of rape jokes? Many ex cult and ex religious people joke about their period in the religion for example. 

In that logic, anything can be used to justify anything so why speak at all ? If someone uses a joke as an excuse to justify violence that person would be violent anyway because he would find any rationalisation. So the whole responsability relies on the violent person not on the jokes some people made. I do not think I and no one in fact is responsabile for the gross misinterpretation and misuse of  language by people with clear background issues. I talk under the assumption , if not proven otherwise, I am not talking with a violent psychopath. This because mist people are not violent psychopaths.

It is like saying a rape victim deserved to be raped because she was wearing a miniskirt. Neither the miniskirt nor the joke enables sexual assault. A psyche that searches will accept any excuse is the problem. 

I mean is a knife production shop responsible for homicides made with their knives?

Anyway things have gotten a lottle off topic

Sometimes comments are in "poor taste."  Have you ever considered that you may have made a joke (or post) in such a manner? 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Sometimes comments are in "poor taste."  Have you ever considered that you may have made a joke in such a manner? 

When? In general ? Of course! So? Making bad jokes or comments that fall short are just inevitable consequences of life. But I think that people should be less perfectionistic and purity demanding as the Christian God which asks for complete purity of thoughts under the threat of hell. Especially as poor taste in terms if comedy is highly subjective and particular to the person.

I mean if someone cannot get over a bad joke or a comment in poor taste their life would be pure hell as those situations are inevitable in any social situation. Or shall we restart the tradition of duelling to the death for "offences of honour" ?

But I will stop with the comments on this issue here as it, if anything, deserves its own thread. The issue of comedy and humour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

But I will stop with the comments on this issue here as it, if anything, deserves its own thread. The issue of comedy and humour.

Was about to suggest that. It's a wee bit off topic. I would like to see a thread about it at some stage but it'd have to be in the humour section under Clubs.