Stamps1962

Spread the Virus; It's for Jesus

The Redding CA church is one that was a hotspot for the preacher I used to promote. They and he hold to the idea that if they "give in" to sickness, they give in to the devil. Even if the entire congregation is coughing up blood, they will still gather and worship to show that they have faith to raise the dead. If you say they are out of their minds, they retort, no we're out of your mind. It's almost a Christian Science thing that denies that there is any sickness to begin with, but slightly different. I was like one of those brainwashed students, offering to pray away sickness for people because I believed that Jesus would even raise the dead. It is an "ultra-commitalist" faith that ignores reality, ignores science, and is based entirely on believing a myth is real and true. Along the line of Hogwarts is fact; The Avengers are real; Toon Town is a real place and cartoons are alive; etc.

The thought just occurred to me that Christianity advertises Jesus with great sounding promises, with stories of instant healings, free food, all your needs met by an all-powerful loving god, an eternal relationship of love and devotion. Even when the package arrives and is empty, the reality completely different, the appetite for what was advertised craves on. So when preachers get up in front of a band and you get lost in worship of the advertised image, it feels like you can't possibly be wrong since so many people and so much money are poured into the advertisement. You become an advertisement yourself, promoting the same product. But whenever you actually need it, it is broken, it is empty, it is silent, and you are told that you are the problem because of this or that, even though the promise was that you were forgiven all of that and have been worshiping and trusting just fine.

And the desire for the advertised product burns on. Another preacher comes along with tales designed to fan the flames of desire for the thing you want. Long involved detailed stories that convince you it is ALL REAL and available, just submit even more. Get out there and advertise, advertise, advertise! Try it out on unbelievers, because it will totally work this time! It doesn't, but don't let that stop you, don't let the trolls steal your big prize!! Part of us still craves what was promised, and hopes it might actually happen, with just the right set of whatever it might just happen and that would be so totally awesome. So for years we trudge through, expecting something amazing to happen, because it was promised, PROMISED! 

But what if it was a lie? Oh, God won't lie!

But what if it never was God to begin with? But look at the stories!

But what if they are just stories, like all the other religions? That's why you need to have faith!

But I have had faith and none of it came true, and when I point that out, you get angry and accuse me of wrongdoing, this kind or that kind instead of seeing through the lie.

We eventually saw that the advertisement was for something that doesn't even exist, will always be broken, will always fail to function. We write bad reviews where we can to try and warn others not to buy the lies. We have to realize deeply that the product never was real, the threats of not having the product were also never real. There was only ever just day to day life, what we can create, people to know and love, hardships to face and endure, participating in the cycles of all life. There is still some disappointment that the magic isn't real. That desire may never fully depart, because it felt so wonderful. But WE are real. We can create change and try to make life better for ourselves and others. We have a lot of "magic" when we let ourselves dream of better ways, of actual things we can do and be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, older said:

"Essential? Retailers Like Guitar Center and Michaels Think They Are"
Guitar Center, Dillards department store, Michaels craft store, Sears, Kmart, and Joann Fabric and Craft Stores all think they are essential and are keeping many of their stores open.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/business/coronavirus-essential-retailers.html

For your information, Mr., Guitar Center IS essential. :nono:

In fact I ordered a Gibson ES-330L from them last week and it arrived yesterday.

Of course I sprayed the shit out of the box, the case, and cleaned the body and strings, then washed my hands before wailing on it! :puke:

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, MOHO said:

For your information, Mr., Guitar Center IS essential. :nono:

In fact I ordered a Gibson ES-330L from them last week and it arrived yesterday.

Of course I sprayed the shit out of the box, the case, and cleaned the body and strings, then washed my hands before wailing on it! :puke:

OK, Moho. Time to show us what you can do. Where online can we hear some of your virtuosity?  :yellow:

Are you going to play for us MOHO?

9 hours ago, DanForsman said:

Are you going to play for us MOHO?

I just HAD to open my big mouth, didn't I?

Trust me. I'm a legend in my own mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, older said:

OK, Moho. Time to show us what you can do. Where online can we hear some of your virtuosity?  :yellow:

Rut Row.

Stepped in it that time, didn't I?

• Haha 2

On 3/26/2020 at 5:05 PM, MOHO said:

...then washed my hands before wailing on it!

I do not accept your claim of wailing without evidence.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, florduh said:

I do not accept your claim of wailing without evidence.

I suspect, if there isn't some wailing soon, there will be some gnashing of teeth as a result.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I suspect, if there isn't some wailing soon, there will be some gnashing of teeth as a result.

I weep at the prospect.

1 hour ago, florduh said:

I weep at the prospect.

It tares me up inside, too.

@older -- Regarding Falwell's reopening of Liberty.   The people of Lynchburg were livid about his lack of concern of the citizens of the town.   I live in Virginia and check the stats every day waiting to see if any cases show up at Liberty.  Sure enough,  several Liberty students made the news today.   I say Falwell committed an act of terrorism.  If somebody hacking on food in the grocery store gets charged, so should he.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, buffettphan said:

@older -- Regarding Falwell's reopening of Liberty.   The people of Lynchburg were livid about his lack of concern of the citizens of the town.   I live in Virginia and check the stats every day waiting to see if any cases show up at Liberty.  Sure enough,  several Liberty students made the news today.   I say Falwell committed an act of terrorism.  If somebody hacking on food in the grocery store gets charged, so should he.  

Buffetphan:

A columnist recently suggested that folks like him could be held civilly liable for injury. I'm not a lawyer but as I understand it tort law has several levels of negligence, one of which is gross negligence, or reckless disregard for others. If he knew, or should have known, that opening the school would put people in grave danger, a good lawyer should have no problem bringing a case against him. But, oh silly me, everyone there is Christian, so it's just the work of God and they wouldn't think of suing.