Goodbye Jesus

What do you all think about reincarnation?

LeiaBryant

That what I believe will happen to my consciousness after I die  what do you think happens after you die?

• Super Moderator

I'll be reincarnated as worm food. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• Super Moderator

On a serious note, though: I have no compelling reason to believe that there is anything more than this life, so I aim to live this one life I have to the best of my ability.

• Like 4

A good question Leia!  Whether there is a "spirit" (consciousness) , separate from our "matter" (body) is an interesting question.  I don't mean to hijack your thread, but associated with this is a question I have.  How did the two come to be united?  Is it more logical that consciousness "sprang" from matter, or that consciousness created matter?  What is the relationship between the two??  Maybe the spirirt/consciousness is eternal??  One of those dimensions we do not fully understand? 

If there is reincarnation, I want to come back as our dog!!  She is a spoiled brat, with no worries, except getting a shot at the vets office.

• Like 2

I have no idea, but if trans-species reincarnation is possible, i want to come back as an otter in a zoo. Those critters seem to have so much fun!

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Weezer said:

A good question Leia!  Whether there is a "spirit" (consciousness) , separate from our "matter" (body) is an interesting question.  I don't mean to hijack your thread, but associated with this is a question I have.  How did the two come to be united?  Is it more logical that consciousness "sprang" from matter, or that consciousness created matter?  What is the relationship between the two??  Maybe the spirirt/consciousness is eternal??  One of those dimensions we do not fully understand? 

If there is reincarnation, I want to come back as our dog!!  She is a spoiled brat, with no worries, except getting a shot at the vets office.

I believe consciousness and matter are interconnected in some way I do not yet fully understand and I know consciousness is eternal . If cross species reincarnation is a thing I would like to be a house cat. They have it better than dogs ,no obedience training for example.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Tsathoggua9 said:

I have no idea, but if trans-species reincarnation is possible, i want to come back as an otter in a zoo. Those critters seem to have so much fun!

Sounds cool,if I had to pick a zoo animal I would say a tiger. they look so beautiful with those stripes.

13 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

That what I believe will happen to my consciousness after I die  what do you think happens after you die?

I dont know. Reincarnation might be fun. 

Guest freedwoman

I'd reincarnate into a cockroach so I can get over my phobia of them. But hey I still have Anthropophobia even though I'm a human. So it may not work. I don't think I believe in reincarnation. Why would spirits choose to reincarnate into a deformed creature? Why would they choose to reincarnate into abusive families? Sounds like a fairy tail fantasy to me. One that was never thought out to well. But I don't know crap. 

From a computer programmer's perspective - consciousness is an iteration of a "program" (operating system?) that is running in your brain. When the program stops you lose consciousness. This program began with the first little transmission of a tiny electric charge from one "brain cell" to the next and continued on under the "direction" of natural selection.

When you think about it that way intelligent design does not seem so far fetched, eh?

• Super Moderator

In all the varied reincarnation lore it is evident that the newly incarnated you isn't really you since there are no memories or cumulative learning from previous lives. Now if you are just one of many expressions of some greater universal you and your ego is an illusion, then that at least fits what we can see and experience. Alan Watts has the only logical view on reincarnation, if indeed any of it is logical. Perhaps it's more accurate for me to say it makes more sense in the overall context than people believing they are a reincarnation of a famous historical figure or their karma will cause them to come back as a rat next time.

It is all mind boggling stuff!!

22 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

To quote from the Lion King "When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass, so we are all connected in the great circle of life"

All research to this points indicates that our consciousness is directly tied to our physical brains, and is affected by what happens to the brain. Thus a person can 'change' after some injury or accident depending on what areas of the brain are damaged. In one case a person ended up with effectively two separate consciousnesses in which they would answer questions differently. And upon death the brain dies and thus any consciousness associated with it is destroyed. There has been no evidence presented to show that a persons consciousness survives death.

I think reincarnation is just wishful thinking on the part of a species that can imagine what it's like to not be conscious and be afraid of that. Therefore I think that upon death, my consciousness, the part of me that is "I" is extinguished.

However my atoms will carry on and will be incorporated into other things for a time... a long time by the looks of things, so there's that. :D  

• Like 1

And if you follow MOHO's  idea of a computer, when those tiny electrical circuits stop working, the consciousness stops.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

If cross species reincarnation is a thing I would like to be a house cat. They have it better than dogs ,no obedience training for example.

I'm with you. As it is said, dogs have masters; cats have staff.

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2020 at 10:07 PM, LeiaBryant said:

University of Virginia has been doing reincarnation research for 50 years. Here's a couple links. 

https://uvamagazine.org/articles/the_science_of_reincarnation

https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/who-we-are/dops-media/video-reincarnation-research/

Also something fun to google is: non-local consciousness. 

Guest freedwoman
2 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I think reincarnation is just wishful thinking on the part of a species that can imagine what it's like to not be conscious and be afraid of that. 

I'd much rather have this than go to Hell to suffer for eternity!!!

28 minutes ago, midniterider said:

University of Virginia has been doing reincarnation research for 50 years. Here's a couple links. 

https://uvamagazine.org/articles/the_science_of_reincarnation

https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/who-we-are/dops-media/video-reincarnation-research/

Also something fun to google is: non-local consciousness. 

BTW I think I was a pirate in a past life. This history documentary trigger massive deja Vu,Like I already knew the history before I heard it . Watch this: 

https://youtu.be/hoiX07M   plus this would explain some of the content in my dreams. They could be memories.

Also I think I may have been accused of witchcraft in a past life 

https://youtu.be/g1N-knQHHmo

3 hours ago, freedwoman said:

I'd much rather have this than go to Hell to suffer for eternity!!!

Yeah, I guess I just got a thing against wishful thinking. I think that's all religion is in all its forms... well wishful thinking mixed with control measures. Heaven... ahh what a wish, and if you don't stay in line its hell for you. Nonsense.

Midnite posts some interesting links, and I've done an experiment that purportedly shows ability to affect an outcome, but nothing that comes close to convincing me that reincarnation is actually a thing.

I guess that makes me an areincarnationist :D 

• Like 1

I don't believe in reincarnation. My closest response would be that of @LogicalFallacy, I may die but I will be "reincarnated" in  billions of atoms in other matter. I guess you can say, all the beings that ever existed are all around us, just as we will be everywhere. It's the circle of life. 

Here's a fun brain-based video about consciousness.

8:20 is my favorite spot

If i'm hijacking the thread, please delete.

1 hour ago, midniterider said:

Here's a fun brain-based video about consciousness.

8:20 is my favorite spot

If i'm hijacking the thread, please delete.

This is interesting. I like it.

12 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I don't believe in reincarnation. My closest response would be that of @LogicalFallacy, I may die but I will be "reincarnated" in  billions of atoms in other matter. I guess you can say, all the beings that ever existed are all around us, just as we will be everywhere. It's the circle of life. 

We are hijacking the thread, but, with our sealed caskets, vaults, etc, how long will it take for our atoms to escape And be all around us?   I like the idea of some cultures that believe in letting our bodies return to nature in the way of plant and animal food.  Or cremation and scattering ashes.

27 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I like the idea of some cultures that believe in letting our bodies return to nature in the way of plant and animal food.  Or cremation and scattering ashes.

I would like to come up with next year’s grass, on a nice hillside somewhere.

Getting back to the thread, I do not see any evidence that consciousness is eternal.  It is matter-dependent, brain-dependent, is altered when the brain is altered, and ends when the brain dies.

• Like 1