Goodbye Jesus

I have a question for everyone here.

LeiaBryant

If the God of the KJV Bible was a real entity, would you rebel against him?

The God of the Bible seems now such a contradictory set of beliefs that it seems very hard to actually answer this question. It seems like the ancient greek pantheon mixed up with no clear structure.

What is the God of the KJV exactly - love,  a person, a feeling, father master, vengeance, eternal torturer, trinity, unity, etc. ? 

What would rebellion mean? The structure of modern christianity seems such a big pile of confusion that I cannot say really anything clear about it. 

• Like 2

Guest freedwoman
8 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

Yes. 

I don't know that I'd rebel. I'd just ignore him. 

If you are referring to a god who punishes all who disbelieve, with the lack of evidence we currently have, and I found his/her/it's existence to be real I would first attempt to lie and cajole my way out of the frying pan. If there was a movement that could successfully resist or mitigate the powers of such a blood thirsty being of course I would join - only someone who truly loves punishment would not. Of course anyone leading said movement would have to prove themselves benevolent first.

• Super Moderator

Hmmm, would I side with Elmer Fudd or Bugs Bunny......... let me think.........

Silly me - it's only a cartoon!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, florduh said:

Hmmm, would I side with Elmer Fudd or Bugs Bunny......... let me think.........

Silly me - it's only a cartoon!

It's a hypothetical question - you assume the premises are true for the purpose of the question. Leia isn't asking if he is real - in which case your reply would be apt, but If Yahweh was real (So assume he is and the bible is accurate, would you rebel against him?)

23 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

Well I wouldn't worship him, but rebelling would be a moot point as he'd be powerful enough that any rebelling would be a futile gesture.

However, in line with what MOHO said, if we could find a way to actually rebel in a manner that had the chance of toppling his iron rule then yes I would. Possibly joining Lucifer could help here. But have you seen the show Supernatural? No rebellion against God ended well.

23 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

Humm, if the Spirit of truth wasn't a real entity, I guess I would rebel against him with words without knowledge.

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

It's a hypothetical question

I've answered this before. If you assume the story is true then there would be no point in rebellion. Only an idiot or illiterate would think, "I can beat him if I resist." 

2 hours ago, florduh said:

I've answered this before. If you assume the story is true then there would be no point in rebellion. Only an idiot or illiterate would think, "I can beat him if I resist." 

It's all in fun, big guy. Right?

Anyway, the scripts say this god is all powerful and all knowing and we are not to appose him/her/it. But my boss says that too. :woohoo:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

It's a hypothetical question - you assume the premises are true for the purpose of the question. Leia isn't asking if he is real - in which case your reply would be apt, but If Yahweh was real (So assume he is and the bible is accurate, would you rebel against him?)

Well I wouldn't worship him, but rebelling would be a moot point as he'd be powerful enough that any rebelling would be a futile gesture.

However, in line with what MOHO said, if we could find a way to actually rebel in a manner that had the chance of toppling his iron rule then yes I would. Possibly joining Lucifer could help here. But have you seen the show Supernatural? No rebellion against God ended well.

Iron chariots, buddy. (haha)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, midniterider said:

Iron chariots, buddy. (haha)

Oh yeah.. forgot about those. 

• 2 weeks later...

No, but I’d live in despair at my complete inability to follow the law and would overwhelmed with the ongoing condemnation I’d be under. 

I hope I'd be brave enough to rebel. More likely, I'd just try to keep my head down and avoid attracting attention to myself. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 8:29 PM, LeiaBryant said:

Satan did. So that kinda say's a lot about God.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 5:29 AM, LeiaBryant said:

Well, since I couldn't exactly hide my thoughts and feeling from this monstrous, disgusting entity and would be hellhound anyways.  Why not?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2020 at 12:45 AM, Crazycatlady said:

I hope I'd be brave enough to rebel. More likely, I'd just try to keep my head down and avoid attracting attention to myself. 

The problem is, God would know your thoughts so laying low wouldn't fool him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thought of the biblical god being real is one of those thoughts that can drive me to instant depression.

• Super Moderator

It wouldn't matter a gnat's dick to me.

No, the power imbalance would make any rebellion pointless.  Can the ant rebel against the human whose house he is in?

With any dictatorship the best bet is to keep your head down and hope you don't draw the ruling powers attention.

Aren't we told that merely existing is essentially rebelling?

Anyhoo, if this god were to be true, I take this to mean that it would then have to prove itself somehow.  Which means I would know exactly what I'm dealing with at that point and not just a bunch of ramblings in some old books that may or may not be accurate.  I'd then evaluate what to do at that point.

Now, if the exercise is the god that is written in those old texts somehow comes to life and that is what I'm dealing with then it seems that my best move would be to do whatever it takes to survive since the god in the OT is wholly unpredictable from moment to moment.  Maybe he wants to be worshiped or maybe he wants me to just sort of go about my business and have some priests deal with everything.  I have no idea.  It just seems whatever the case may be I get to be snarky about it so it's not all bad.

mwc