Goodbye Jesus

Anyone getting triggered by corona lockdown measures?

Myrkhoos

I have this really uneasy to almost panicky feel about this whole situation. Army and police, having to have a written declaration on your every exit, people in govt who I never trusted in peace time leading in such crisis moment, unclear and ever changing commands, it kind of reminds of the worse things in christianity, the auhoritarian leader, do what I want, stay in your quarter, but it is for your own good discourse. I am really getting pretty annoyed, especially about written declarations. Also uneasy because global economic turmoil usually means massive problems and possibly violence. Like here in my country, you are allowed to go out for necessities, but some fine points about necessities are up to the police force to decide. Ok, them deciding how often or if I go out, and that sort of things, where the money goes. I never understood on my own skin the threat of a dictatorship, and this is probably not that serious, but....if this situation were the norm instead of the exception, I must say I am quite, I don t know. I seriously doubt that on the long term life is even worth it in such a society. This might be just the panic talking, though. I really don t like it and hope it ends soon. 

Any thoughts? Soothing ones preffered. :))

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

The government has resisted using force to keep people from spreading the virus. People aren't complying or using common sense and I'm glad some "official" measures are finally being taken.

• Like 3

Some days I am beyond depressed and terrified.... and other days, I take back my mind and power and tell myself I have to continue. My dear husband is still classified as an ''essential'' so I worry about him. His hours are already being cut down. I'll be glad when he's ordered to stay home.... but..... financially for me and him, this will be a disaster. (and millions of others also, I empathize)  I wish they would lock-down the whole god damned world right now.

I think deep down, I know this is going to go on for a long time and I don't seem to have much fight left in me. I post silly things on Facebook and try to read everything that is encouraging. I think most of us are grieving because the way we knew life is gone and could be gone for awhile. I'm so sorry that I cannot be more uplifting.  We are all facing trauma. And it takes time to process that the whole entire world as we knew it, is gone for now. So in the meantime, keep watching everything that can give you hope. Maybe we can pull out of this. Stay safe everyone. Put on those invisible boxing gloves and hang in there. We're all in this together. Love and hugs to every one of you.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

We're here for 'ya, @Margee! And the rest of you as well.

We have a deal here in the US to inject massive funds into the problem and our manufacturing infrastructure is gearing up to crank out vents. Big Pharma are all working together to get the vaccine available ASAP! People are staying home and away from each other and this well, eventually, result in a flattening out of new cases.

Hey! look at the bright side. Numerous xtians will fear the vaccine as they are anti-vaxers and afraid of being "chipped" against their will. OK. Never mind. I don't wish any harm to anyone. Quashing that thought.

• Like 2

Not so much here. I'm mostly treating it like my childhood in the 70s where I spent most of my time alone, go outside for a bike ride, snack now and then, read, watch a movie on the tube (computer actually). I don't focus on there being a pandemic and what I can't do, but then again I also have food and essentials in the pantry. I have a hobby to keep myself occupied and a job (now night shift so we aren't all there at once). I've seen friends have some serious anxiety over it and needing to meditate or focus on their music-making to distract their minds. Many of them are musicians that had gigs every night, so they are going nuts just practicing on their own. A few have had house concerts they stream on FB. But they also got criticized for having the band in one house. Audio lag is too much to have each do it remotely. Some are chilling out with weed or other substances that aren't addicting. Shrooms are still illegal most places, but micro-dosing them sure as hell nips anxiety in the bud. I was getting a bit on the anxious side, but then went back to work and that helped, just doing practical repair stuff.

I do keep an eye on the feds, in case they want to "put off" the election or something similar as a power grab. I've seen some rumblings of that from Barr, but if they want a real galvanizing of the resistance, that would be the way to go. I also see the deficit going up sharply due to tax cuts for the wealthy, and now another 2T expense to send out money to us (and again to wealthy businesses), and whoever the next administration is will have to deal with unheard of debt. 

Then again, I encounter people at remote sites where I work that are genuinely idiots about the quarantining. They see it as government taking over, and all sit around one table mocking the distancing thing. "Jesus and Colt firearms will keep me safe!" is about the attitude I'm seeing. These fools really do need to experience no help from imaginary Jesus, and a long-ass quarantine where they are more sick than they knew possible. Not sure that would change their minds either. 

• Like 3

(Tongue in cheek) I am having some crazy, and evil thoughts.  Thinking about resuming prayer and praying that Trump gets the virus.  I don't want him to die.  My thoughts aren't that evil, but hope he gets really sick for a few days so maybe he will take this problem seriously.    

I am truly concerned about those not taking it seriously, and risking infecting others.   My rights end when I start endangering others, with this, or other situations.  And as Fuego said, the economy and national debt is going to suffer greatly. But you can bet your boots that the government will bail out the big boys.  I am concerned that so many families are living pay check to pay check, and racking up huge debts.  Maybe this will teach them to start saving a few dollars each payday for a nest egg.     

• Like 4

In answer to the O.P. question: I can't do much about it so I'm not going to stress over it. I'll take care of myself and my family and that's all I can do at this point. As I can, I will also do my part politically to move things in the direction I think they should go. As I've posted on this site before, this quote is particularly appropriate now:

Start where you are.

Use what you have.

Do what you can.

— Arthur Ashe

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am a bit peeved about some of the stores that are crowded. Our number of known infected doubled in the last week, and still the markets are full. The bigger ones are limiting how many are in the store at a time, wiping down everything, keeping people apart, at least trying to limit exposure. We stocked up on food today, WAY more than I thought we might need, but then again we won't be out shopping next week or the week after. I cook a lot, then fridge or freeze it. Then I eat less to make it last. Plus I'm not out and about, so using less body energy.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
On 3/25/2020 at 7:56 AM, Myrkhoos said:

I have this really uneasy to almost panicky feel about this whole situation. Army and police, having to have a written declaration on your every exit, people in govt who I never trusted in peace time leading in such crisis moment, unclear and ever changing commands, it kind of reminds of the worse things in christianity, the auhoritarian leader, do what I want, stay in your quarter, but it is for your own good discourse. I am really getting pretty annoyed, especially about written declarations. Also uneasy because global economic turmoil usually means massive problems and possibly violence. Like here in my country, you are allowed to go out for necessities, but some fine points about necessities are up to the police force to decide. Ok, them deciding how often or if I go out, and that sort of things, where the money goes. I never understood on my own skin the threat of a dictatorship, and this is probably not that serious, but....if this situation were the norm instead of the exception, I must say I am quite, I don t know. I seriously doubt that on the long term life is even worth it in such a society. This might be just the panic talking, though. I really don t like it and hope it ends soon. 

Any thoughts? Soothing ones preffered. :))

The population at large has proven itself to be stupid and selfish. Our government entities have been very slow to act regarding personal behavior; they offer "suggestions" for distancing. It's already too late, but finally there are some restrictions in place and no doubt more to come. It's good to see the reluctance to institute something like martial law, but I'm afraid we actually need to be forced into acting responsibly. The dangerously stupid need to be stopped from doing harm.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, Fuego said:

I am a bit peeved about some of the stores that are crowded. Our number of known infected doubled in the last week, and still the markets are full. The bigger ones are limiting how many are in the store at a time, wiping down everything, keeping people apart, at least trying to limit exposure. We stocked up on food today, WAY more than I thought we might need, but then again we won't be out shopping next week or the week after. I cook a lot, then fridge or freeze it. Then I eat less to make it last. Plus I'm not out and about, so using less body energy.

Every store manager is agreed. If the panic buying would just stop there would be no problem keeping the shelves stocked. Supply lines are not impeded in any way and normal buying practices could continue if we let it happen. But people are crazy, panicky and above all selfish hoarders at any hint of adversity. I see this behavior every hurricane season. As for me, we and our pets are always stocked up for 6-8 weeks but we shop weekly anyway. Therefore, we are fine with not leaving the house for a couple of months at least. We're used to hurricanes and power outages, so this is a cake walk.

• Like 4

My thoughts on this summed up by:

• Like 3

Grocery Stores & Costco, in my area, are offering seniors only the first hour of shopping. They are also placing limits on specific items that tend to be the target for those that want to horde.

Local government has ordered citizens to shelter in place, and most people are abiding by that. Our son and daughter are doing our grocery shopping for us due to our age and vulnerability to the virus. We haven’t encountered any serious problems obtaining pretty much everything on our grocery list. 

As others have noted, all anyone can do is use common sense and do the best you can under the circumstances. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Geezer said:

Our son and daughter are doing our grocery shopping for us due to our age and vulnerability to the virus.

I hope you and Mrs Geezer stay healthy and safe!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 6:35 PM, florduh said:

But people are crazy, panicky and above all selfish hoarders at any hint of adversity. I see this behavior every hurricane season. As for me, we and our pets are always stocked up for 6-8 weeks but we shop weekly anyway. Therefore, we are fine with not leaving the house for a couple of months at least. We're used to hurricanes and power outages, so this is a cake walk.

Yes! 

Our experience down here is a unique one compared to most places. And doesn't it seem like the hoarding and panic ramp'd up a whole lot after the some 12 year run of no direct hits where people got lazy about preparing? Once it got real again the hoarding went off the charts. And then extended into the behaviors we're seeing now. I don't know if it checks out factually, but it seems that hoarding in general has hit an all time high. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geezer said:

Local government has ordered citizens to shelter in place, and most people are abiding by that. Our son and daughter are doing our grocery shopping for us due to our age and vulnerability to the virus.

Stay safe buddy! 

• Like 1

Wife just said that her conspiracy theory group says the good aliens are putting the kabash on the bad ones who are doing human trafficking, and that we may lose power, internet, and cell communications around Easter because the bad people will be rounded up and arrested...

So, looks like we are going to be buying a generator and 5 gallons of gasoline to run our fridges if this happens, or if some other catastrophe happens. She makes nearly three times what I do, so I go along with it, since she goes along with my science hobbies. Doesn't hurt to have some reasonable emergency stuff on hand, regardless of the motivations. And we have well stocked canned supplies and water now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Fuego said:

Doesn't hurt to have some reasonable emergency stuff on hand, regardless of the motivations. And we have well stocked canned supplies and water now. 

👍👍

11 hours ago, TABA said:

I hope you and Mrs Geezer stay healthy and safe!

Thank you. Until it became real, this sort of thing was Hollywood science fiction. The thing that could never really happen because of our advancements in medicine and technology. Looks like we aren’t as smart as we thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geezer said:

Thank you. Until it became real, this sort of thing was Hollywood science fiction. The thing that could never really happen because of our advancements in medicine and technology. Looks like we aren’t as smart as we thought.

The funny thing is, I heard this from Slavoj Zizek, a virus is a simple entity. It is not even alive by many standards. The whole of human society is in lockdown because of some microscopic mushroom like those in the Super Mario videogames. Incredible. And somewhat humbling. Hope you and all will be ok.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Myrkhoos said:

It is not even alive by many standards.

True, they are fascinating things. Fragments of life chemistry. And there are trillions of kinds, especially in the ocean, each mostly adapted to its particular kind of host. According to a local virologist, we are likely host to viruses with which we long ago formed a symbiotic kind of relationship. The better adapted kind don't kill their hosts, and the best may even defend it against harmful bacteria and tiny bugs. 

7 minutes ago, Fuego said:

True, they are fascinating things. Fragments of life chemistry. And there are trillions of kinds, especially in the ocean, each mostly adapted to its particular kind of host. According to a local virologist, we are likely host to viruses with which we long ago formed a symbiotic kind of relationship. The better adapted kind don't kill their hosts, and the best may even defend it against harmful bacteria and tiny bugs. 

I even read or heard that sometimes they are actually used to kill bacteria. So infect a human with a virus targeted to kill E coli, or smth like that. Also heard what you say, that the better adapted viruses do not kill their host, as it would be counterproductive. Microbiology is so fascinanting.

I just had the best talk to my doctor over the phone. I have been going to him for 23 years and he knows all about my anxiety. 

First he told me that sleep was very important because the body recoups through restorative sleep. So 6-8 hours. And rest and relax. Do some meditation to calm the body down (which I have been doing for a long time) He wants me to dance in my living-room, play my favorite music, do a hobby, spring clean, go for walks and only turn the news on twice (if I absolutely had to) once in the morning and once at night to get caught up with what's happening. And then watch as many funny movies or interesting documentaries as I can. He said how important it was to keep the stress hormones from surging through my system because it would completely take away from building up a good immunity in my body. We all know by now that stress kills. He also said to get to the store for groceries at the seniors hours because yesterday (apparently) you practically had the store to yourself. Basically he told me to stay out of any other store except for going for groceries, unless there was an emergency of course..And stand the 6 feet distance from anyone. Also vitamin c and d were very important nutrients for good immunity so I take those.

But through all that is coming in the next few weeks, I am to stay calm and not create stress in my body. (the flight or fight response) He said this was so important.

I just thought I would post this because I have experienced every kind of emotion a person can go through in the past month. I can go from calm to terror in a minute. And because I have an anxiety personality, it gets exaggerated in my mind,  ( Ex: I have everyone in my family dead from this) so it's really important for me to stay calm. I wanted to share this talk with you in case their are other members who have this cursed type of personality.

Love you all and please stay safe.. (hugs) to everyone.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Margee said:

I just had the best talk to my doctor over the phone. I have been going to him for 23 years and he knows all about my anxiety. 

Hi Margee, and hugs to you too!  

Your doctor makes a lot of sense.  This has been an anxious time for my wife too:  as luck would have it, she had surgery on her foot the second week of March, with a recovery time of several weeks at least.  So when all this coronavirus stuff hit the fan, she was already feeling pretty vulnerable.  She is prone to anxiety, though in recent years she has been doing much better and managed to come off the medication through weight-loss and exercise.  But anyway, being confined to the couch and feeling helpless when all this started to blow up, as well as not being able to get out and exercise, has made it that much harder for her.  There are few more helpless feelings than being the husband when your wife starts to get consumed by anxiety!  Your first instinct is to tell her why her fears are unreasonable, but of course that's precisely what DOESN'T help!  It's tough.  At least in the last couple of days the healing has progressed  - and even having spring sunshine streaming in the windows has made a difference.

Anyway, more hugs to you Margee, and to all who experience anxiety!  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Margee said:

First he told me that sleep was very important because the body recoups through restorative sleep. So 6-8 hours. And rest and relax. Do some meditation to calm the body down (which I have been doing for a long time) He wants me to dance in my living-room, play my favorite music, do a hobby, spring clean, go for walks and only turn the news on twice (if I absolutely had to) once in the morning and once at night to get caught up with what's happening. And then watch as many funny movies or interesting documentaries as I can. He said how important it was to keep the stress hormones from surging through my system because it would completely take away from building up a good immunity in my body. We all know by now that stress kills. He also said to get to the store for groceries at the seniors hours because yesterday (apparently) you practically had the store to yourself. Basically he told me to stay out of any other store except for going for groceries, unless there was an emergency of course..And stand the 6 feet distance from anyone. Also vitamin c and d were very important nutrients for good immunity so I take those.

But through all that is coming in the next few weeks, I am to stay calm and not create stress in my body. (the flight or fight response) He said this was so important.

I just thought I would post this because I have experienced every kind of emotion a person can go through in the past month. I can go from calm to terror in a minute. And because I have an anxiety personality, it gets exaggerated in my mind,  ( Ex: I have everyone in my family dead from this) so it's really important for me to stay calm. I wanted to share this talk with you in case their are other members who have this cursed type of personality.

Love you all and please stay safe.. (hugs) to everyone.

Thank you @Margee! I too have this cursed personality and the last two weeks have been so stressful. It managed to exhibit itself in some unpleasant symptoms as well, the stress, and I've realized I really need to limit my exposure to the news. It's all made worse by the fact that I feel like my safety net, or whatever there was of one in my family, or the illusion of it, melted away over the last year as I figured out what people truly think of me and how (un) supportive they are. I found a wonderful person and now my anxiety and stress is focused around his potentially catching COVID19 and how he would fare (he has MS). My mind goes places and catastrophizes and it's no good for me at all. 

Your Dr has excellent advice and I'd like to say thanks for sharing it. 💓To everyone who is stressed out, here's a visual that might help. 

DF4E4C2A-8630-46CE-B593-5E0AE916E9E8.jpeg

• Like 2

It’s been a beautiful day. The sun rose to a clean blue sky dotted with white puffy clouds that looked like giant cotton balls sprinkled to the horizon. I stepped out for my morning walk and the thin breeze was cool but not cold; the warmth of the sun seeping through my flannel shirt, which I soon had to shed. Walking down to the corner and turning west into the breeze, the neighborhood was quiet except for the excited little dog that always announces my approach. I could tell that traffic on the main road to the south was barely extant as the usual dull hum was reduced to an occasional whoosh when a solitary car motored by.

I walked at a brisk, but not exhausting, pace, thinking about standing tall, admonishing myself just as my mother would have. I stopped to take a snapshot of the gate at a driveway about a mile farther on. I found it amusing; the closed and locked gate of vertical metal bars capped with spikes, and the very serious-looking sign, “BEWARE OF DOG.” And in the middle of the gate, a wreath of thin pine twigs in the center of which was a scrap of wood marked with hand-painted letters that read, “Welcome.”

Lunch came soon enough, some fresh sweet grapes, a few forkfuls of potato salad (with egg, the best kind), and the last two of Mrs. Older’s homemade chocolate chip cookies washed down with milk in a chilled glass. After lunch it was naptime, and this one provided some quickly forgettable but happy dreams. The vanilla crunch bar, being a required post-siesta elixir, was firmer than yesterday, the freezer having cycled away from its automatic defrost temperature.

The drive across town to daughter’s house was easy as the usual chaos of after-school pickups was absent, and the terror of just-released high school drivers did not arise. Daughter brought out the block of cheddar cheese we had ventured out to get and the grandkids lined up on the sidewalk to exchange I-love-you’s as we maintained social distance from inside our car.

As the normal rush hour approached, we trundled east on what is usually the busiest street in town. As we passed the main commercial avenue and the freeway onramps, which are usually backed up at that time of the afternoon, we got all four traffic lights green.

• Like 2