Goodbye Jesus

Anyone getting triggered by corona lockdown measures?

Myrkhoos

1 hour ago, older said:

As the normal rush hour approached, we trundled east on what is usually the busiest street in town. As we passed the main commercial avenue and the freeway onramps, which are usually backed up at that time of the afternoon, we got all four traffic lights green.

👍👍  all is well, that ends well!  Glad you had a good day.

On 3/30/2020 at 4:40 PM, TruthSeeker0 said:

DF4E4C2A-8630-46CE-B593-5E0AE916E9E8.jpeg

Thanks, TruthSeeker0, for posting this. Sometimes we don't follow our own advice, and I had a problem I couldn't let go. I'd had an over-the-fence chat with my neighbor who has two high school age boys and two college age daughters. He said they were "trying" to follow the social distancing guidelines. And the girls said they had been invited to meet with friends but turned them down.  I commented about the way the virus spreads, and that I'm a perfect example of someone who would probably die if infected. Just two hours later, two boys drove up and one of the girls greeted each of them with a hug. About an hour after that, one of neighbor's sons drove up in his pickup and two friends hopped out. 

So when I woke up about 2 a.m. I couldn't go back to sleep. I started thinking about this and I just got more and more angry. Those shitheads are contributing to the spread of this. I kept thinking about sending Mr. Neighbor a text asking how come the rules don't apply to his kids. After lying in bed for about two hours, I got up and logged on here. After looking at the two phrases at the top left, I realized that me getting mad is a waste of my energy, and that confronting him would not change their behavior. I still couldn't get back to sleep for another two hours, but I'm glad I didn't spout off and create a rift in an otherwise cordial relationship.

9 hours ago, older said:

Thanks, TruthSeeker0, for posting this. Sometimes we don't follow our own advice, and I had a problem I couldn't let go. I'd had an over-the-fence chat with my neighbor who has two high school age boys and two college age daughters. He said they were "trying" to follow the social distancing guidelines. And the girls said they had been invited to meet with friends but turned them down.  I commented about the way the virus spreads, and that I'm a perfect example of someone who would probably die if infected. Just two hours later, two boys drove up and one of the girls greeted each of them with a hug. About an hour after that, one of neighbor's sons drove up in his pickup and two friends hopped out.

So when I woke up about 2 a.m. I couldn't go back to sleep. I started thinking about this and I just got more and more angry. Those shitheads are contributing to the spread of this. I kept thinking about sending Mr. Neighbor a text asking how come the rules don't apply to his kids. After lying in bed for about two hours, I got up and logged on here. After looking at the two phrases at the top left, I realized that me getting mad is a waste of my energy, and that confronting him would not change their behavior. I still couldn't get back to sleep for another two hours, but I'm glad I didn't spout off and create a rift in an otherwise cordial relationship.

Yes, Thanks @TruthSeeker0 for the great reminder of what we can control and what we can't. 

@older...I find the greatest amount of people who are not practicing the distancing are more the younger ones. At least from around here, those are my observations. And you know what? When I was young (especially when I was religious) I didn't give a shit about what was going on in the world because 1. I was a self-centred brat and only cared about what was going on in my little world and family. 2. I was protected by god and he had the 'plan' for the world so I didn't worry too much.

My dear friend died from Aids many years ago and when we went in to say goodbye to him, we were completely dressed as if we were going to the moon. We we not allowed to touch him.....just stand at a distance and talk to him. Not me. I took the mask off and went right over and gave him the biggest kiss. I didn't give a shit. I felt invincible and he was getting a hug from me even if I died. A lot of young people are still the same. They think this is all blown out of proportion and they rebel. It was only when I lost my friend did I realize how serious Aids was back then. I didn't care about what wars were going on, making the planet clean, etc....Only now that I am older do I see my self-centered ways.

I am a bit more relaxed this week although I am locked up tighter than a drum. I am taking advantage  of going for walks on the nice days and today I might even go in the rain with my big umbrella. Because Covid can kill, seems as if my eyes want to take in everything. I got the compromised lungs so I'm very careful right now. I'm not ready to die yet so i got to try and make it through this. My heart bleeds for the people all over the world who have suffered and died. And my heart aches for the loved ones.

I still worry about my kids and grand-kids  and husband. My husband and my girl are still out there on 'the front lines'.  I am even more relaxed about the finances. If we can't make it through this, I do not have to feel shame. I tried everything in my power for 23 years to keep this house. if I lose it now, it won't be for not trying.

Stay safe everyone. ((hugs))

• Thanks 1

I wanted to ask you all a silly question. I watched the ''1929 depression'' last night (I was totally in the right frame of mind for this) and I can see how everything changed in the world within a week. I wanted to watch this. I needed to watch this. It was like finally getting the guts up to see what the bible really was about no matter how hard it was going to be. So I really wanted to see what happened in the 1929 depression. I did not get depressed. I watched with just 'observation'. I know that the 1929 was to do with the stock market crash but I can see similarities in this particular crisis.

I can see the beginning of this 'depression' happening right now and if I make it through this, I want to have some kind of plan. My bottom line question is this. Do you think The banks could actually shut down and we would not have access to our money? My girlfriend went to the bank the other day and took a lot of money out. I am already planning (if it came to this world depression) stocking up on beans, rice, canned tuna, salmon, cereals, where I would live, etc.  Am I going crazy here or what? Or am I being smart? Thank you for any replies to this silly question.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
36 minutes ago, Margee said:

I wanted to ask you all a silly question. I watched the ''1929 depression'' last night (I was totally in the right frame of mind for this) and I can see how everything changed in the world within a week. I wanted to watch this. I needed to watch this. It was like finally getting the guts up to see what the bible really was about no matter how hard it was going to be. So I really wanted to see what happened in the 1929 depression. I did not get depressed. I watched with just 'observation'. I know that the 1929 was to do with the stock market crash but I can see similarities in this particular crisis.

I can see the beginning of this 'depression' happening right now and if I make it through this, I want to have some kind of plan. My bottom line question is this. Do you think The banks could actually shut down and we would not have access to our money? My girlfriend went to the bank the other day and took a lot of money out. I am already planning (if it came to this world depression) stocking up on beans, rice, canned tuna, salmon, cereals, where I would live, etc.  Am I going crazy here or what? Or am I being smart? Thank you for any replies to this silly question.

Fear, panic and hoarding create the real problems. Apparently humans can't help themselves. We have become totally dependent on the symbol of wealth, money, rather than the reality of actual wealth we have in abundance.

10 minutes ago, florduh said:

Fear, panic and hoarding create the real problems. Apparently humans can't help themselves. We have become totally dependent on the symbol of wealth, money, rather than the reality of actual wealth we have in abundance.

So sit back and do nothing? Can you elaborate a bit? I would love to hear the longer version if you don't mind. I feel calm right now. Just trying to look out for the future.

And I promise not to take all the beans and rice. :rolleyes:

• Super Moderator
5 minutes ago, Margee said:

So sit back and do nothing? Can you elaborate a bit? I would love to hear the longer version if you don't mind. I feel calm right now. Just trying to look out for the future.

And I promise not to take all the beans and rice. :rolleyes:

You can't fight human nature is all I'm saying. A handful of people who refuse to panic buy all the supplies will make no difference. I see this phenomenon every hurricane season.

Of course you can hoard food and bury your money in the yard, but you'll have to be able to protect  and defend your hoard and the buried money will be worthless after the crash anyway. My personal choice is simply to carry on as usual. We have no control and never did. But cheer up! All is maya!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Margee said:

@Margee,

If, and that's a big if, there is a run on the banks then measures will be taken to limit said run. They will close the brick and mortar and limit internet transactions to so many per day. Debit cards are already limited to so much $$ per day.

This will ONLY Happen if there is, in fact, a run on the banks. We're not there and we won't be unless there is panic.

Personally, if there is a panic run on the banks, then I hope the response is swift and sure in the interest of quashing the cash hemorrhage early enough to quell any fears or further panic withdrawals.

Speculation on my part but I've been doing finance/banking software for a couple decades now...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MOHO said:

@Margee,

If, and that's a big if, there is a run on the banks then measures will be taken to limit said run. They will close the brick and mortar and limit internet transactions to so many per day. Debit cards are already limited to so much $$ per day.

This will ONLY Happen if there is, in fact, a run on the banks. We're not there and we won't be unless there is panic.

Personally, if there is a panic run on the banks, then I hope the response is swift and sure in the interest of quashing the cash hemorrhage early enough to quell any fears or further panic withdrawals.

Speculation on my part but I've been doing finance/banking software for a couple decades now...

@MOHO  First of all I don't have any money to hide in my backyard unless I steal from the line of credit. Lol

We are the 'regular' people just above what they call the poverty line. Neither of us make much money. But we are managing to make ends meet and have been for a long time and I am very grateful for that. But my hubby is losing hours. I'm not working right now. What will happen to the people who are in the same situation? Bankruptcy? What happens when we can't make the everyday and monthly  payments? It is so expensive to live. We live where we need fuel to warm our homes for 8 months of the year!! Internet, groceries, power, water, car and car repairs, credit cards, etc. The list never ends. Of course I am worried. I am doing everything in my power to stay calm.  I have always said the the strongest, luckiest and smartest survive. I don't feel any of those... and yet I am trying to take all my fighting power back so we can make it. Thanks for any encouragement. 

I don’t see this growing into any kind of panic, financial or otherwise.  As pandemics go, this one is highly infectious but not very deadly.  Now if we had something as nasty as Ebola that was as easily transmitted as Covid-19, that would be way different.  The economy and financial systems seem basically sound - unlike the 2007-8 financial crisis, so I think things will bounce back fairly well.  Of course some businesses will collapse, but they’ll be replaced and things will go on. So my advice is to Keep Calm and Carry On! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, TABA said:

I don’t see this growing into any kind of panic, financial or otherwise.  As pandemics go, this one is highly infectious but not very deadly.  Now if we had something as nasty as Ebola that was as easily transmitted as Covid-19, that would be way different.  The economy and financial systems seem basically sound - unlike the 2007-8 financial crisis, so I think things will bounce back fairly well.  Of course some businesses will collapse, but they’ll be replaced and things will go on. So my advice is to Keep Calm and Carry On! 

Yes the financial situation is quite sound compared to 2008.

There are folks waiting in the wings, as we've seen recently, ready to purchase devalued stocks. Plus there are government programs and expenditures directed at those who need a safety net or two. Of course that's mostly in the U.S. not Canadia where @Margee is.

What can you say about any gub'mint programs up there, Margee?

Also this virus is not going to kill more than 3~4 % (bad yes, but not the end of the world) and when folks realize that all will start to get back to normal. It's important to guard ourselves and others so there is no run on hospitals but not so that we don't all die. 80% are recovering. 

34 minutes ago, Margee said:

@MOHO  First of all I don't have any money to hide in my backyard unless I steal from the line of credit. Lol

We are the 'regular' people just above what they call the poverty line. Neither of us make much money. But we are managing to make ends meet and have been for a long time and I am very grateful for that. But my hubby is losing hours. I'm not working right now. What will happen to the people who are in the same situation? Bankruptcy? What happens when we can't make the everyday and monthly  payments? It is so expensive to live. We live where we need fuel to warm our homes for 8 months of the year!! Internet, groceries, power, water, car and car repairs, credit cards, etc. The list never ends. Of course I am worried. I am doing everything in my power to stay calm.  I have always said the the strongest, luckiest and smartest survive. I don't feel any of those... and yet I am trying to take all my fighting power back so we can make it. Thanks for any encouragement. 

We're kinda regular too but we do have a cushion in the bank. My work is "furloughing" people and, so far, I have avoided that. I figure after the next 2~3 weeks I may be done there. There are programs to replace incomes - costly in the long run - but necessary.

My biggest fear is Mrs. MOHO draining our savings and shipping it off to Pastor AssHat. She is immersing herself in the end-times B.S. but keeping her head on - for the most part - for now. The thought of that is causes me more anxiety than anything. If I see any evidence of any financial activity or much more talk about this then I will perform my own run on the bank but only from one account another. One that Mrs. MOHO does not have access to. That, our revered Ex-C Mommy, will cause a divorce. My hope if that happens is that things calm down and she sees what a huge mistake both the sending money to the church or a divorce wold be - before it happens.

@Margee,

I don't believe the U.S. or Canada will sit idly by and allow anyone to lose their homes. Especially those who have been making payments for 2+ decades. That, in and of itself, would have a huge impact on the economy - an impact neither country wants.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MOHO said:

Yes the financial situation is quite sound compared to 2008.

There are folks waiting in the wings, as we've seen recently, ready to purchase devalued stocks. Plus there are government programs and expenditures directed at those who need a safety net or two. Of course that's mostly in the U.S. not Canadia where @Margee is.

What can you say about any gub'mint programs up there, Margee?

Also this virus is not going to kill more than 3~4 % (bad yes, but not the end of the world) and when folks realize that all will start to get back to normal. It's important to guard ourselves and others so there is no run on hospitals but not so that we don't all die. 80% are recovering. 

This just does not help. I'm tired of hearing that line. Tell that to the people who have asthma, lung, heart and other conditions and who are at risk. Our lives matter! 

PS sorry but this pandemic has revealed exactly how ableist society is. Exactly what we prioritize. With the news anchors spouting off about how only a portion of the population is dying, with what I can only call a callousness towards that population that is very revealing. And when the shit hits the fan, it's the abled over disabled in the hospitals whose lives are seen to have more value and who are worth trying to save. 

It's the same with $$$. In Canada those who have worked and earned over $5k the last year are getting $2k per month in emergency measures, while the disabled have been given less all along to somehow survive and live. What is this if not a tacit acknowledgement that a person cannot survive on less than $1k a month? You're out of luck if you're "not disabled enough" to qualify for disability but not able enough to work a lot. 

As I said, this sure has revealed what kind of society we live in. 

• Super Moderator
34 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

This just does not help. I'm tired of hearing that line. Tell that to the people who have asthma, lung, heart and other conditions and who are at risk. Our lives matter! 

Anyone over age 70 is supposedly in the high risk category. Around here that's damn near everybody! But people of all ages and health situations can and have died from the virus. Teens, middle age and seniors can die or recover. I don't think fatality projections are a swipe at any particular group. Regardless of one's assumed susceptibility, everyone just needs to stay at home. You can't catch it if you don't go out. It's that simple.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

PS sorry but this pandemic has revealed exactly how ableist society is. Exactly what we prioritize. With the news anchors spouting off about how only a portion of the population is dying, with what I can only call a callousness towards that population that is very revealing. And when the shit hits the fan, it's the abled over disabled in the hospitals whose lives are seen to have more value and who are worth trying to save. 

It's the same with $$$. In Canada those who have worked and earned over $5k the last year are getting $2k per month in emergency measures, while the disabled have been given less all along to somehow survive and live. What is this if not a tacit acknowledgement that a person cannot survive on less than $1k a month? You're out of luck if you're "not disabled enough" to qualify for disability but not able enough to work a lot. 

As I said, this sure has revealed what kind of society we live in. 

You are 100% correct, @TruthSeeker, this pandemic HAS revealed what kind of society we live in. We live in a society where people pull together to assist each other. Our leaders released funds to help, are cutting read tape to allow faster production of vents and testing of a vaccine. There plans afloat to assist renters and mortgage payers as well as assist those who are suddenly out of work. And for your information those who EARNED more in the States are to receive a smaller check or, in our case, nothing at all.

I am sick and tired of hearing about how we are not doing enough for the downtrodden and those with their hands out. I would like to hear some of these folks thank the rest of society that PROVIDES what they ARE getting.

Now, @TruthSeeker, stop the bellyaching and wining and DO SOMETHING to make the situation better!

2 hours ago, MOHO said:

You are 100% correct, @TruthSeeker, this pandemic HAS revealed what kind of society we live in. We live in a society where people pull together to assist each other. Our leaders released funds to help, are cutting read tape to allow faster production of vents and testing of a vaccine. There plans afloat to assist renters and mortgage payers as well as assist those who are suddenly out of work. And for your information those who EARNED more in the States are to receive a smaller check or, in our case, nothing at all.

I am sick and tired of hearing about how we are not doing enough for the downtrodden and those with their hands out. I would like to hear some of these folks thank the rest of society that PROVIDES what they ARE getting.

Now, @TruthSeeker, stop the bellyaching and wining and DO SOMETHING to make the situation better!

I'll shut up. That's all I have to say on the subject. 

I'm personally very sick and tired of hearing people spout lines about how good or bad anyone has it right now, and how they deserve or don't deserve what they're getting.

This just sucks. For everyone.

The fact is that it sucks more for the poor, the disabled, the elderly, etcetera, etcetera, than it does for anyone else. This is not a matter of opinion.

The fact is that many, many people will die from this. How many, precisely, depends partly on how we behave in these next few months. 

The fact is that many of us, myself included,  are very fortunate to not be in financial need at this point in time, and to not be members of a particularly vulnerable sector of the population. Bully for us. But I'd hazard that I'm not alone in having close friends and family members who are not so fortunate as I am. No one needs to thank me for the welfare they receive. No one needs to be grateful to me for the help that they get in this dire time. The fact is, I want to live in the kind of society that helps people out when crises strike. And I don't care at all about whether anyone is grateful or not, because that kind of society is just better for everyone involved, even for those of us who end up contributing more to the social safety net than we receive in return.

The fact is that I honestly don't care if anyone agrees or disagrees with me here. But I'd very much like it if we could try to get through this together rather than attacking each other for no apparent reason.

Stay safe everyone. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MOHO said:

@Margee,

I don't believe the U.S. or Canada will sit idly by and allow anyone to lose their homes. Especially those who have been making payments for 2+ decades. That, in and of itself, would have a huge impact on the economy - an impact neither country wants.

Agree with this. Same in NZ. Imagine if you have 100 - 200 k of people in a country with only 5 million suddenly defaulting on homes and being kicked out - we are already facing a housing crisis, that would make it invariably worse!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, disillusioned said:

I'm personally very sick and tired of hearing people spout lines about how good or bad anyone has it right now, and how they deserve or don't deserve what they're getting.

This just sucks. For everyone.

The fact is that it sucks more for the poor, the disabled, the elderly, etcetera, etcetera, than it does for anyone else. This is not a matter of opinion.

The fact is that many, many people will die from this. How many, precisely, depends partly on how we behave in these next few months. 

The fact is that many of us, myself included,  are very fortunate to not be in financial need at this point in time, and to not be members of a particularly vulnerable sector of the population. Bully for us. But I'd hazard that I'm not alone in having close friends and family members who are not so fortunate as I am. No one needs to thank me for the welfare they receive. No one needs to be grateful to me for the help that they get in this dire time. The fact is, I want to live in the kind of society that helps people out when crises strike. And I don't care at all about whether anyone is grateful or not, because that kind of society is just better for everyone involved, even for those of us who end up contributing more to the social safety net than we receive in return.

The fact is that I honestly don't care if anyone agrees or disagrees with me here. But I'd very much like it if we could try to get through this together rather than attacking each other for no apparent reason.

Stay safe everyone. 

Thank you. I guess when the vulnerable and at risk or disabled end up in an overloaded critical care, where the Drs are forced to triage people based on their "quality of life" or "ability", they should just be thankful they got so far in society, and be willing to die a death without assistance when the ventilators run out, because - that is what ableism is at its core. 

8 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Thank you. I guess when the vulnerable and at risk or disabled end up in an overloaded critical care, where the Drs are forced to triage people based on their "quality of life" or "ability", they should just be thankful they got so far in society, and be willing to die a death without assistance when the ventilators run out, because - that is what ableism is at its core. 

Indeed, doctors are forced to make agonizing choices when they are overwhelmed with cases.  Decisions have to be made.  How would you suggest they decide who to help?

2 hours ago, TABA said:

Indeed, doctors are forced to make agonizing choices when they are overwhelmed with cases.  Decisions have to be made.  How would you suggest they decide who to help?

I'm not a Dr. I do not have the answers. 

If my partner ends up in critical care, does he deserve to be overlooked because he uses a scooter instead of his legs to get around and isn't as "normal" as what society has pegged as the "norm/ideal" (fit, healthy, able to work and contribute to the economy - of itself another ableist definition). 

If there's something that hasn't left me yet from my fundamentalist upbringing it's that all life and all people are of equal value. I do not think of life in capitalist terms. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I do not think of life in capitalist terms. 

But you seem to be thinking of it in utopian terms where tough choices can somehow be bypassed.  If there are 5 people and only 4 sets of lifesaving equipment, SOME choice has to be made.  The universe does not respect our wishes or preferences.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I'm not a Dr. I do not have the answers. 

If my partner ends up in critical care, does he deserve to be overlooked because he uses a scooter instead of his legs to get around and isn't as "normal" as what society has pegged as the "norm/ideal" (fit, healthy, able to work and contribute to the economy - of itself another ableist definition). 

If there's something that hasn't left me yet from my fundamentalist upbringing it's that all life and all people are of equal value. I do not think of life in capitalist terms. 

No one is begin "overlooked" because they are handy-capped.

• Super Moderator

*A RECAP OF THE LAST THREE WEEKS*

AMERICA: Oh my god! Coronavirus! What should we do?

CALIFORNIA: Shut down your state.

AMERICA: Wait... what? Why?

CALIFORNIA: Because 40 million people live here and we did it early, and it’s working.

OHIO: Whoa... whoa... let’s not be hasty now. The president said that this whole coronavirus thing is a democratic hoax.

CALIFORNIA: He also said that windmills cause cancer. Shut down your state.

TEXAS: But the president said that we only have 15 cases and soon it'll be zero.

CALIFORNIA: The president can’t count to fifteen. Nor even spell it. Shut down your state.

NEW JERSEY: Us too?

CALIFORNIA: Yes, you guys too. Just like when Christie shut down the bridge, but it’s your whole state.

FLORIDA: But what about all these kids here on spring break?? They spend a lot of money here!

CALIFORNIA: Those kids invented the tide pod challenge. Shut down your state.

LOUISIANA: But wait let’s have Mardi Gras first. It entertains people.

CALIFORNIA: It also kills them. Shut it down.

GEORGIA: Ok well how about we keep the state open for all of our mega churches? Maybe we can all pray really hard until the coronavirus just goes away!

CALIFORNIA: Which is working like a charm for mass shootings. Jesus told us to tell you to shut down your state.

OKLAHOMA: What about the tigers?

CALIFORNIA: What about a dentist. Shut it down.

WYOMING: Hold up, maybe we should go county by county like the president said.

CALIFORNIA: Stop acting like there are counties in Wyoming. There are no counties in Wyoming. Wyoming is a county. Shut it down.

PENNSYLVANIA: But big coal.

CALIFORNIA: But big death. Shut it.

WEST VIRGINIA: But we were the last state to get coronavirus!

CALIFORNIA: And don’t make us explain to you why that was. Shut it down.

NORTH CAROLINA: But the republican national convention is coming here!

CALIFORNIA: SHUT... ok fine do what you want.

• Like 2