Goodbye Jesus

Anyone getting triggered by corona lockdown measures?

Myrkhoos

34 minutes ago, florduh said:

*A RECAP OF THE LAST THREE WEEKS*

AMERICA: Oh my god! Coronavirus! What should we do?

CALIFORNIA: Shut down your state.

AMERICA: Wait... what? Why?

CALIFORNIA: Because 40 million people live here and we did it early, and it’s working.

OHIO: Whoa... whoa... let’s not be hasty now. The president said that this whole coronavirus thing is a democratic hoax.

CALIFORNIA: He also said that windmills cause cancer. Shut down your state.

In defense of Ohio, Governor Mike DeWine (R) was a leader in this and has been widely - if belatedly - praised for taking unpopular steps relatively early...

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/01/coronavirus-state-governors-best-worst-covid-19-159945?fbclid=IwAR1H42eMZguL6fg8a4HnUStHtXMWn53q-iKcqww_v0JwOfEstSJQ5ubFBCU

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52113186

The idiot mayor DeBlasio of New York City probably deserves the greatest blame of any leader for insisting that the petri-dish of NYC stay open for business until Governor Cuomo pulled rank on him.  But it's more fun to blame us rubes in flyover country.

4 hours ago, MOHO said:

No one is begin "overlooked" because they are handy-capped.

Are you serious? Are you not aware that disabled people are being asked to sign do not recussitate orders? 

Edit: disabled people who Do not currently have COVID19, in the event they contract it. 

Won't be continuing the topic or the thread. The ignorance is astounding. 

3 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Are you not aware that disabled people are being asked to sign do not recussitate orders? 

I wasn't aware.  Can you provide some links to such reports?

• Super Moderator
22 minutes ago, TABA said:

I wasn't aware.  Can you provide some links to such reports?

I can't confirm this either. I do know that everybody has an opportunity to sign a DNR irrespective of the pandemic or the patient's health status.

3 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Are you serious? Are you not aware that disabled people are being asked to sign do not recussitate orders? 

Edit: disabled people who Do not currently have COVID19, in the event they contract it. 

Won't be continuing the topic or the thread. The ignorance is astounding. 

Please provide links to current news articles, in the U.S. , where this is happening.

Maybe it is due to the basically rural region where I live, but after retiring from working in medical systems for years, I didn't notice discrimination of the "handicapped".  Maybe there are a few "bad apples", but the majority of people I saw working in the system were there because they valued all human life.

My take on the financial system is that the government is going to bail out everyone they can.   Allowing too many to fail won't get them reelected.   And protection for your money in the banks was set up after the crash in 1929.  The result is going to be a GIGANIC NATIONAL DEBT, and higher taxes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doctors are in a prisoner's dilemna. They have been put in that decision by lots of bad political actions as well. But medicine has a simple base critaria. Preserving and increasing biological life quality. When you have finite resources you spend it on people that have the best chance of survival and quality of life. The principle is simple. Its aplication can be fuzzy as many actions in reality tend to be. So, you have a ventilator. Two patients in critical condition that need it. You have a 60 year old patient with diabetes and a moderately healthy young person of 25 who happened to have a slight sensitivity to respiratory disease. Based on that principle you give it to the young man, because of the odds are that he can survive and have a longer life. Is this calculation 100 percent certain? No. Does is take into consideration ALL of the data? No. But that is life. We make decisions based on limited data with uncertain results. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Myrkhoos, you make a good point.  I never saw a situation where those kind of decisions had to be made.

On 4/4/2020 at 3:46 AM, Myrkhoos said:

Doctors are in a prisoner's dilemna. They have been put in that decision by lots of bad political actions as well. But medicine has a simple base critaria. Preserving and increasing biological life quality. When you have finite resources you spend it on people that have the best chance of survival and quality of life. The principle is simple. Its aplication can be fuzzy as many actions in reality tend to be. So, you have a ventilator. Two patients in critical condition that need it. You have a 60 year old patient with diabetes and a moderately healthy young person of 25 who happened to have a slight sensitivity to respiratory disease. Based on that principle you give it to the young man, because of the odds are that he can survive and have a longer life. Is this calculation 100 percent certain? No. Does is take into consideration ALL of the data? No. But that is life. We make decisions based on limited data with uncertain results. 

The problem is that you have medical staff evaluating the quality of life of differently abled people. That is not "data" as you put it. That is one person, without limitations themselves in most cases, stepping in to decide the worth or quality of another person's life. And those observations are not necessarily unbiased. I've seen it up close and personal now. People shouldn't make assumptions that the quality of life of disabled people isn't as fulfilling because their legs will no longer carry them, because they use assistive devices, because they can no longer continue their career, because the world isn't as physically accessible to them anymore, because they speak differently, or any other reason. 

To think that in the current triage system there are no risks to disabled people is naive and ignorant. 

Also, the world doesn't revolve around the US - I don't need to post specific examples from the US just because some members here live in the US and likely don't think outside their corner. This is an international online community. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdrK4DFJAe4DWAlpGJc_RXa65N3X12lygGWvqy_xIvLXXKJEw/viewform

https://archdisabilitylaw.ca/covid-19-and-disability-recommendations-to-the-canadian-government-from-disability-related-organizations-in-canada-march-24-2020/

https://accommodationsduringapandemic.wordpress.com/

https://www.nursingtimes.net/opinion/covid-19-the-clinical-frailty-scale-and-people-with-learning-disabilities-26-03-2020/

2 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

The problem is that you have medical staff evaluating the quality of life of differently abled people. That is not "data" as you put it. That is one person, without limitations themselves in most cases, stepping in to decide the worth or quality of another person's life. And those observations are not necessarily unbiased. I've seen it up close and personal now. People shouldn't make assumptions that the quality of life of disabled people isn't as fulfilling because their legs will no longer carry them, because they use assistive devices, because they can no longer continue their career, because the world isn't as physically accessible to them anymore, because they speak differently, or any other reason. 

To think that in the current triage system there are no risks to disabled people is naive and ignorant. 

Also, the world doesn't revolve around the US - I don't need to post specific examples from the US just because some members here live in the US and likely don't think outside their corner. This is an international online community. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdrK4DFJAe4DWAlpGJc_RXa65N3X12lygGWvqy_xIvLXXKJEw/viewform

https://archdisabilitylaw.ca/covid-19-and-disability-recommendations-to-the-canadian-government-from-disability-related-organizations-in-canada-march-24-2020/

https://accommodationsduringapandemic.wordpress.com/

https://www.nursingtimes.net/opinion/covid-19-the-clinical-frailty-scale-and-people-with-learning-disabilities-26-03-2020/

Medical staff evaluating life expectancy IS data. Very concrete data. A person of 80 years with diabetes has a statistical, objectively and independently verifiable lower chance of survival than a healthy 30 year old. 

Amd about quality of life. There are metrics to judge that with. I can argue that a person in war torn Sudan jas a lower life quality than in US. Based on many metrics. 

Your argument is that these metrics are not complete or perfect or enacted without bias. Agreed. I already agreed with that. But welcome to the real world, where most decisions if not all are taken by biased people without complete or perfect knowledge. That is just part of human nature. Especially in a crisis.

You want to point problems with the triage system. Be my guest. Maybe it could be improved. 

And please if you want to accuse anyone of "ableism" accuse Nature. It is the most ruthlessly ableist thing. That is why it kills off the weak and vulnerable. In all species. If evolution is true, than biologically we are in no way equal. That is a verifiable biological fact. Nature does not care about my values or my feelings only about my resilience to adversity. Humans are trying to mitigate that tendency if anything. And again I repeat. Will the triage be perfect? NO ! Will it be biased ? YES! Should all groups try to watch and assure that it is as giod as it can be and as unbiased as it can be? Again, I agree, YES.  But if you are asking for a soldier to think about nuanced human rights while in the trenches you are having unrealistic expectations.

• Like 2

I Did hear these kind of discussions in the military.  In human survival situations, more able bodied people were considered more valuable.  But there are very few "survival" situations in today's world. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 10:54 PM, Weezer said:

I Did hear these kind of discussions in the military.  In human survival situations, more able bodied people were considered more valuable.  But there are very few "survival" situations in today's world. 

We also have a world where civil rights are an issue - the civil rights of those with disabilities as well. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/opinion/coronavirus-ventilators-triage-disability.html

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I think, in a society where ventilators are stolen and sold to the highest bidder, all of our lives have been deemed less valuable, and "civil rights" just a talking point for election year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I find that I want to fall back into Christianity during this time. Especially with all the unknowns about this virus. I tend to catastrophize about crises, and my anxiety leads me to want to go back to that familiar, seemingly comforting place that Christianity was.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
6 minutes ago, hello said:

I find that I want to fall back into Christianity during this time. Especially with all the unknowns about this virus. I tend to catastrophize about crises, and my anxiety leads me to want to go back to that familiar, seemingly comforting place that Christianity was.

Whatever strength or comfort you thought you got from the religion actually came from you. Realizing that should be empowering and freeing.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hello said:

Back to a god who is either responsible for this virus, or sits back doing nothing as people suffer and die???

Can you explain what appeal that has and why? Maybe you're just not thinking it all the way through. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joshpantera said:

Back to a god who is either responsible for this virus, or sits back doing nothing as people suffer and die???

Can you explain what appeal that has and why? Maybe you're just not thinking it all the way through. 

Back to the part of God loves and protects me more probably, irrespective of actual reality.

I think this is mostly , as he said, an emotional reaction to anxiety. Reverting to something familiar. It is like a remnant of a reflex - when fearful pray to God. Those automated mind habits. 

The comfort is that all is in control , I think. Many people prefer a bad control over no control, I read somewhere. So antidote to uncertainty or better put, like a drug to ease emotional pain. 

If that is the case, the world does seem to be run by specific patterns. In a way, it is under control. I do not know why and where these rule come, but maybe it is like a car. Idk how it works myself, but it works and I can use it.

I hope you find comfort in what is good for you, whatever that may be.

Guest freedwoman

Yes. The first time my area is having true Spring whether I'm stuck inside unless I have to work or pay bills etc... I'm scared because last night when I was at work this customer buying gas coughed on me. I was wearing a mask but still. I asked him nicely to cover his mouth next time. He got all pissy with me and coughed on me again and threatened to tell my boss I was being rude to him! 😠😠 I'm still waiting for a phone call from my boss. I'm terrified for my health and my job right now. 😲Thankfully I'm off for a few days. 

1 hour ago, freedwoman said:

Yes. The first time my area is having true Spring whether I'm stuck inside unless I have to work or pay bills etc... I'm scared because last night when I was at work this customer buying gas coughed on me. I was wearing a mask but still. I asked him nicely to cover his mouth next time. He got all pissy with me and coughed on me again and threatened to tell my boss I was being rude to him! 😠😠 I'm still waiting for a phone call from my boss. I'm terrified for my health and my job right now. 😲Thankfully I'm off for a few days. 

Prick. I would have come around that counter and kicked him in the nuts. :Duivel7:

Try not to worry hon. Glad you were wearing a mask. At least this gives you some protection from idiots. I'm quite sure your boss is going to understand this. You try to relax as best you can. You do not want those stress hormones running all through your body. So breathe slow honey. We got you. Keep us posted. Big (hug)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, freedwoman said:

I still get people who come to my workplace while coughing and hacking all over the place just for some trivial non essential item.  In one instances, someone coughed and I could feel a droplet land on my face.  I had to immediately run to the back and hose myself off.  I do wear a mask though but some of our customers are starting to wear thin on my patience.  I am one of the managers though and have the authority to kick people out if they get out of line.

• Like 1

Guest freedwoman
48 minutes ago, Margee said:

Prick. I would have come around that counter and kicked him in the nuts. :Duivel7:

Try not to worry hon. Glad you were wearing a mask. At least this gives you some protection from idiots. I'm quite sure your boss is going to understand this. You try to relax as best you can. You do not want those stress hormones running all through your body. So breathe slow honey. We got you. Keep us posted. Big (hug)

Thanks hun. 🤗 I bet if I was a man he wouldn't have done that! Or Hell if I was Becca Swanson he wouldn't have done that. Thankfully my boss is a gentleman. So he may take my side. I wasn't being rude to him. I said please. My tone was soft spoken. But I sure did wanna shove my fist down his throat and suffocate him! If I feel sick I'll see my doctor. 

Guest freedwoman
36 minutes ago, RealityCheck said:

I still get people who come to my workplace while coughing and hacking all over the place just for some trivial non essential item.  In one instances, someone coughed and I could feel a droplet land on my face.  I had to immediately run to the back and hose myself off.  I do wear a mask though but some of our customers are starting to wear thin on my patience.  I am one of the managers though and have the authority to kick people out if they get out of line.

I hate feeling powerless. All I want is respect. People just refuse to give me any. Maybe I'm too nice? But when I do assertive myself I'm either crazy or over emotional and irrational! 😠

2 hours ago, freedwoman said:

I hate feeling powerless. All I want is respect. People just refuse to give me any. Maybe I'm too nice? But when I do assertive myself I'm either crazy or over emotional and irrational! 😠

I don't what it is, the Godfather references keep popping up.....

6 hours ago, freedwoman said:

I'm scared because last night when I was at work this customer buying gas coughed on me. I was wearing a mask but still. I asked him nicely to cover his mouth next time. He got all pissy with me and coughed on me again and threatened to tell my boss I was being rude to him!

I read a news story about someone doing this and he was charged with terroristic threats, obstructing administration of law or other governmental function and harassment. I think you could also file an assault complaint.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/03/24/coronavirus-wegmans-customer-coughing-on-worker-terroristic-threats-charges/

• Thanks 1