Goodbye Jesus

Are You Sure You Really Don't Believe

Guest freedwoman

Guest freedwoman

Please don't be offended by this question. It's not meant to be offensive. But I'm really just curious here. I wonder if atheists really don't believe in a God or some other entity? Or whether they just just say they don't? After all if you can convince yourself there is no God then you can do whatever the heck you want. So it makes Hell and eternal suffering less real. But just saying you don't believe in God doesn't make him or whatever less real. If he or whatever even exists???

• Super Moderator

Are you?

• Like 1

Guest freedwoman
7 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Are you?

Nope. But I never said I didn't believe. I never said I did believe. I've said I don't know. But I do pray still. Just in case IT does exist. But if IT doesn't I guess I'm praying to nothing. It's beyond me. 

• Admin
56 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

After all if you can convince yourself there is no God then you can do whatever the heck you want.

I always find this kind of thinking interesting. Does anyone really think that abandoning belief in Christianity leads a person to embrace the basest type of immorality? My behavior as a former Christian is not significantly different from when I was a full-fledged believer, except of course that I no longer attend church, pray, witness or study the Bible.  I love my family, pay my bills, am honest in my dealings, treat others with respect, try to live in a way that positively contributes to my fellow humans and society at large, etc., etc., etc. 

A question for you: What the heck would you do differently if you realized Christianity was not true? Would you suddenly indulge in behaving as a psychotic sociopath, live parasitically off of others, abuse those around you, rage like a lunatic or indiscriminately break laws? Does perhaps murder secretly appeal to you except for the restraint of your religion that is holding you back?  As goes the cliche': "You don't need religion to have morals. If you cannot tell right from wrong, then you lack empathy, not religion."

Guest freedwoman
4 minutes ago, webmdave said:

I always find this kind of thinking interesting. Does anyone really think that abandoning belief in Christianity leads a person to embrace the basest type of immorality? My behavior as a former Christian is not significantly different from when I was a full-fledged believer, except of course that I no longer attend church, pray, witness or study the Bible.  I love my family, pay my bills, am honest in my dealings, treat others with respect, try to live in a way that positively contributes to my fellow humans and society at large, etc., etc., etc. 

A question for you: What the heck would you do differently if you realized Christianity was not true? Would you suddenly indulge in behaving as a psychotic sociopath, live parasitically off of others, abuse those around you, rage like a lunatic or indiscriminately break laws? Does perhaps murder secretly appeal to you except for the restraint of religion holding you back?  As goes the cliche': "You don't need religion to have morals. If you cannot tell right from wrong, then you lack empathy, not religion."

Sadly humans need authority to keep them in line. Hence why we have laws. You can't convince me you never felt like hurting someone out of vengeance. You don't do it because you know you'd go to prison. However on the contrary, the belief in God also causes people to harm others. Even themselves. In my opinion the belief or also the lack of belief in a God causes immorality. Good and evil people of both theists and theists exist. 

Also sorry if I'm being confusing. I'm not an articulate writer or speaker. 

• Admin
5 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

You don't do it because you know you'd go to prison

Wrong.  I don't do it because it's wrong and hurting others out of vengence has never been part of my personality.  

In my opinion the belief or also the lack of belief in a God causes immorality. Good and evil people of both theists and theists exist. 

Here I agree with you. In short, belief in magical beings has minimal if any influence on behavior. People are people -- some good and some bad -- regardless of how they choose to self identify.  

Guest freedwoman
15 minutes ago, webmdave said:

"You don't need religion to have morals. If you cannot tell right from wrong, then you lack empathy, not religion."

I agree with this statement. 

1 hour ago, freedwoman said:

Please don't be offended by this question. It's not meant to be offensive. But I'm really just curious here. I wonder if atheists really don't believe in a God or some other entity? Or whether they just just say they don't? After all if you can convince yourself there is no God then you can do whatever the heck you want. So it makes Hell and eternal suffering less real. But just saying you don't believe in God doesn't make him or whatever less real. If he or whatever even exists???

Well I just believe in different Gods , if you don't like hell,pick a different religion. I believe in reincarnation myself.

Guest freedwoman

I'm a much better person AFTER leaving Christianity behind. Leaving Christianity has given me more empathy than I can handle sometimes. Leaving actually made me want to help instead of harm. If you'd have met me when I was a full blown brain washed Christian just 10 years ago you'd know the difference in me. I was your typical hateful, bigoted, close minded, self righteous, pious Christian. A typical fundamentalist. Opposite of who I am now. If I could go back in time, I'd kick my own ass. 

Guest freedwoman
Just now, LeiaBryant said:

Well I just believe in different Gods , if you don't like hell,pick a different religion. I believe in reincarnation myself.

Sorry mate. That doesn't mean it wouldn't exist. 

• Super Moderator
49 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

Nope. But I never said I didn't believe. I never said I did believe. I've said I don't know. But I do pray still. Just in case IT does exist. But if IT doesn't I guess I'm praying to nothing. It's beyond me. 

Then, perhaps, you have found the path that is right for you.

25 minutes ago, webmdave said:

A question for you: What the heck would you do differently if you realized Christianity was not true? Would you suddenly indulge in behaving as a psychotic sociopath, live parasitically off of others, abuse those around you, rage like a lunatic or indiscriminately break laws? Does perhaps murder secretly appeal to you except for the restraint of your religion that is holding you back?  As goes the cliche': "You don't need religion to have morals. If you cannot tell right from wrong, then you lack empathy, not religion."

My morals changed dramatically on sexual stuff but otherwise I am the same. It certainly changes your view on sex to leave Christianity right?

Guest freedwoman
Just now, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Then, perhaps, you have found the path that is right for you.

Have I now? Have any of us really? I sure hope that's possible. 

2 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

Sorry mate. That doesn't mean it wouldn't exist. 

I know I believe the Christian God exist but I also believe my Goddess exist and I follow Her instead of Christianity.

Guest freedwoman
2 minutes ago, LeiaBryant said:

My morals changed dramatically on sexual stuff but otherwise I am the same. It certainly changes your view on sex to leave Christianity right?

I'm free to be bisexual again. I won't lie I was still attracted to women when I was a Christian. I'd try to pray the homosexual part of my bisexuality away. I used homophobia as a way to repress my own homosexual urges. I even got a man lover once to cleanse me of my attraction to women. I couldn't even watch Wonder Woman because Lynda Carter and Debra Winger made me lust after them. My mom forbid me from watching it. Now I can watch man on man love without fear. I must admit. A sexy woman and two sexy men at the same time with me. Yum! No Hell! 😝😋 

Guest freedwoman
7 minutes ago, LeiaBryant said:

I know I believe the Christian God exist but I also believe my Goddess exist and I follow Her instead of Christianity.

God is a jealous God. He doesn't like competition. That always made me think. 

• Admin
6 minutes ago, LeiaBryant said:

I would suggest that your wiring regarding sex is the same now as when you were a Christian. You just may not have felt the freedom to indulge your natural feelings then. 

I happen to be a happily (faithfully) married heterosexual (35 years now). I am quite frankly the same in this respect as when I was a believer. I don't want anything else.  However, what has changed is my ability to freely accept others who differ from me.  

Guest freedwoman

Sometimes I hate having a human brain. It makes me think way too much. It causes me to ask way too many questions I'll most likely never have answers to.

• Admin

Sometimes I hate having a human brain. It makes me think way too much. It causes me to ask way too many questions I'll most likely never have answers to.

“The cosmos is within us. We are made of star-stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself.” -- Carl Sagan

• Super Moderator
23 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

Have I now?

26 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

perhaps

There is no logical, rational, or scientific reason to believe that such a thing as a supernatural realm or supernatural entities exist. There is an abundance of historical evidence that confirms the Bible was written by humans, not by any supernatural deities. These biblical stories   are therefore correctly classified as theological myths.

There is no historical evidence that either Jesus or Paul were real people. It is more likely their were literary characters that only existed in fictional stories.

Therefore, I can find no reason to believe there is an invisible little old man, that lives up in the sky, that is watching over humanity and keeping a permanent record of everything every person on earth does, says, and thinks. 

Faith is required to be a Christian because the teachings, beliefs, and traditions are absurd and unbelievable. That is why religion requires intense indoctrination to believe their idiotic and ridiculous claims.

Guest freedwoman

Ugh. Why does it always have to be the Bible God??? I swear y'all must have a grudge against him or something. Well he is a cock cunt so I understand.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

Ugh. Why does it always have to be the Bible God??? I swear y'all must have a grudge against him or something. Well he is a cock cunt so I understand.

Why does it have to be any god? If you believe in some sort of god, that's fine with me. I don't see any evidence supporting the existence of gods or goddesses, but if you hold such beliefs, I don't judge you. Does it bother you that others may disbelieve in your god, whomever it might be? .