Goodbye Jesus

How will Christians spin the fact they they will not be able to gather on Easter Sunday?

Insightful

From an outsider's perspective, it is quite fascinating.  One of the very main practices of Christianity is gathering together.   And, due to the coronavirus outbreak, they will not be able to gather in churches on their most holy day - Easter Sunday.  If I were a believer still, this would have caused me to doubt God's existence.  Why would he allow the events of the universe to result in Christians NOT getting to go to church for a couple of months, including EASTER of all days?!!   

I wonder what they will say... maybe they will praise the advent of the technology that enables them to "meet" remotely...

But it's all really odd right now if you are a Christian, right?!

And it's also really odd that most of them won't even think twice about it...

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Probably have non-advertised gatherings in the middle of nowhere on Easter. 

• Like 3

Probably the old chestnut "god is testing us". You can cover all sorts of horror with that phrase. 

• Like 4

I think the same question arose during the various plagues. As Wertbag said, the default is some kind of test, blaming themselves for hidden sins, blaming the Jews, and the TrueBelievers™ chalk it up to the deep mystery of God's will (shrug). "He can beat me to a pulp if he wants, because he luvs meeee and is always right and good and holy. Beat me again Jesus, yesssss Loooorrrdd. Beat the sin out of me. Sha ba ko nashey to. Crucify my flesh...."

Meanwhile science... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Super Moderator

They'll blame it on the evil government/s persecuting them and their right of assembly -- despite 

Romans 13:1-2 says: "Obey the government, for God is the One who has put it there. There is no government anywhere that God has not placed in power. So those who refuse to obey the law of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

91508176_3248706405140733_2080426787464019968_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• Super Moderator

The building is not the church; the people are.  And the people can still gather because jesus invented the interwebs.

5 hours ago, buffettphan said:

They'll blame it on the evil government/s persecuting them and their right of assembly -- despite 

Romans 13:1-2 says: "Obey the government, for God is the One who has put it there. There is no government anywhere that God has not placed in power. So those who refuse to obey the law of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow."

I used that one on Facebook when Obama was re-elected. I said the Lord has spoken. (haha) A Christian said I took that scripture out of context. Now if Romney had won, I bet it would have been in perfect context and I would have received  an "Amen!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Super Moderator

Some are not holding brick and mortar gatherings but as far as I can see many have been gathering anyway and have no plans to stop it. In fact, there's a "Woodstock type" rally for Christians coming up. IMO it's time for tear gas, rubber bullets, chains and padlocks.

• Like 2

And... 30 minutes  ago the governor of Florida just declared that religious gatherings are exempt from the stay-at-home order because they are "essential".

Just.  Wow.  No words.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, midniterider said:

A Christian said I took that scripture out of context.

So respond, "Oh really? What's the context?"

Cop-outs aren't answers.

• Like 1

Some will gather anyway while others will bitch that their religious rights are being oppressed by the overreaching government. 

11 hours ago, buffettphan said:

Was going to say this.

If there wasn't the fact that they could spread the virus to others outside their churches I'd say let them gather and die if they want to collect Darwin awards on mass! But the problem is if they come into contact with an otherwise responsible person they could give their well deserve infection to somebody else. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Insightful said:

From an outsider's perspective, it is quite fascinating.  One of the very main practices of Christianity is gathering together.   And, due to the coronavirus outbreak, they will not be able to gather in churches on their most holy day - Easter Sunday.  If I were a believer still, this would have caused me to doubt God's existence.  Why would he allow the events of the universe to result in Christians NOT getting to go to church for a couple of months, including EASTER of all days?!!   

I wonder what they will say... maybe they will praise the advent of the technology that enables them to "meet" remotely...

But it's all really odd right now if you are a Christian, right?!

And it's also really odd that most of them won't even think twice about it...

I think you’re underestimating Christians ability to rationalize God’s lack of action when there is a crisis. Christian are experts when it comes to making excuses for God’s indifference when disaster strikes. 

5 hours ago, florduh said:

Some are not holding brick and mortar gatherings but as far as I can see many have been gathering anyway and have no plans to stop it. In fact, there's a "Woodstock type" rally for Christians coming up. IMO it's time for tear gas, rubber bullets, chains and padlocks.

Quarantine right there on the spot, imo. National Guard style.

5 hours ago, Insightful said:

And... 30 minutes  ago the governor of Florida just declared that religious gatherings are exempt from the stay-at-home order because they are "essential".

Just.  Wow.  No words.

Governor probably got some death threats from God's children. :)

I note that the biggest megachurch in our town, with thousands of members, has gone to video services but this Sunday they are offering drive-through communion. Isn't that terrific? The first person who drives through has the virus and gives it to the cracker handler, who then gives it to everyone else in line. Way to go!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Couldnt you pray over a couple saltines and bless a beer? Right from your home? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Predictably, my fb christian friends are declaring “PERSECUTION!!!” and proof of THE END TIMES. 
Once things have returned to normal what do you think they will say to save face?

2 hours ago, LostinParis said:

Once things have returned to normal what do you think they will say to save face?

They will praise Jesus for delivering them from the persecution. That way they are never wrong. Never.

• Like 2

On April 2, 2020 at 2:54 PM, midniterider said:

Couldnt you pray over a couple saltines and bless a beer? Right from your home? 

If they start using beer for communion, I might be tempted to go church once in a while lol :D

• Haha 2

On 4/1/2020 at 7:55 PM, midniterider said:

Governor probably got some death threats from God's children. :)

Governor knows what a large voting block xties are.

Mrs. MOHO goes to payer meeting on Sunday evenings. When I presser her on bringing bugs home she said that they practice social distancing.

Other than that I can think of nothing more selfish than risking spreading the virus in this manor. Just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD.

• Like 2

Guest freedwoman
20 minutes ago, MOHO said:

Mrs. MOHO goes to payer meeting on Sunday evenings. When I presser her on bringing bugs home she said that they practice social distancing.

Other than that I can think of nothing more selfish than risking spreading the virus in this manor. Just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD.

You are the man of the house. Even though you are not a believer your wife still must obey you. Just make her stay home. She's sinning if she tells you no. Give her this Bible verse. Tell her you're the boss.

"1 Peter 3:1 Wives, in the same way, submit yourselves to your husbands, so that even if they refuse to believe the word, they will be won over without words by the behavior of their wives" https://biblehub.com/1_peter/3-1.htm