Goodbye Jesus

Cardinal Pell got off

Crazycatlady

The highest court in Australia has just released Cardinal Pell because there was insufficient evidence to prove that he sexually abused those kids. It's kinda hard to have proof when one of the key witnesses died as an indirect result of his abuse though. I was abused by a priest as a child, and this has reopened old wounds (not completely afresh but enough to bother me). 

• Sad 1

• Super Moderator

I'm sorry.

Shows what power and money can buy you (Namely a really good legal team)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is one crime where there is very little physical evidence. Usually conviction comes down to a large enough group of victims that it shows a pattern. Unfortunately one or two victims have next to no way to prove their claim. 

In many of these cases the abuse happened decades ago, making it hard to confirm the details. 

We need priests to be like the police and wear a chest mounted camera 24/7.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There were many other cases that for various reasons, never made it to trial.
A bunch of civil cases have now been launched against Pell, by people who were abused by him or say he did nothing to prevent their abuse at the hands of other priests.

The Catholic Church is about to haemorrhage more money...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember watching the late Christopher Hitchens & Mr. Pell on Q & A when they were debating religion. Christopher Hitchens was a marvelous wordsmith, could articulate the Christian delusion down to a tea. All the while Mr. Pell's rebuttals churned in my stomach.

• Like 1

The Catholics need to understand that adult men who chose a life where they are supposed to be celibate, just might attract guys with sexual problems, including being attracted to children.  And pedophiles are some of the most devious liars there are.  They will rarely admit quilt.  Sadly, too many get away with it because otherwise they can seem like prominent citizens.  If there was a Hell, there would be a special place for them.    I worked in children's services for years and saw many sad cases.

• Sad 1

On 4/10/2020 at 3:38 PM, Weezer said:

The Catholics need to understand that adult men who chose a life where they are supposed to be celibate, just might attract guys with sexual problems, including being attracted to children.  And pedophiles are some of the most devious liars there are.  They will rarely admit quilt.  Sadly, too many get away with it because otherwise they can seem like prominent citizens.  If there was a Hell, there would be a special place for them.    I worked in children's services for years and saw many sad cases.

I have a gay ex-catholic friend who was told by a priest that he must remain celibate because he confessed to being attracted only to men. He was subsequently encouraged to join the priesthood.