Goodbye Jesus

How are y'all occupying your spare time during this pandemic?

ZenPaladin

I figured we could use a break for that and see how everyone occupying themselves right now.For me, I just got done doing a Karate session via Zoom since my dojo is closed due to the shelter order. My bedroom was a bit cramped, but it was still a good half hour of training. Our Shihan/sensei told us to stretch before the session so we had enough time to go over our kihon(basic techniques) with basic kicks and some variations. Other than that, I've been catching up on fanfic writing, reading, meditation and some video games and Netflix for good measure. I'm also trying to stay on top of my EMT homework and studying since if I pass and get certified I won't have trouble landing a job given the circumstances.

How about the rest of you?

• Like 4

I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home. Other than that, YouTube, Netflix, and reading.

• Like 2

Well, I've been retired for years so my routine isn't too much different. Both my wife and I are homebodies. I think I'm spending (wasting) more time on the internet reading news stories, and I'm not making trips to town. The worst is not being able to play with my grandkids who live on the other side of town. Otherwise taking care of some family legal business with the lawyer via email and skipping a doctor's visit for something that is of little consequence and can wait until later. Exercising on alternate days against 2-mile walks down the street; picked a bucket of oranges this morning. I've only been off the property five times in the last six weeks. Mrs. Older gets the groceries.

• Like 3

I get kind of "fidgety" when I'm not working...so I've been fixing some stuff around the house that's been on my to do list for a while...we finally have a dishwasher lol

I also work out with weights and do a little cardio, so that helps keep me out of trouble as well ;)

• Like 3

I’ve been reading more and trying to finish some sewing projects I’ve had in the queue for a while. 

Hey! I can edit my posts now! 😃
ooh, and also react to others’ posts 😁

• Like 2

Up to this point I'm working from home - 10hour days - 5 days/week.

I've been working from home at least 2 days/week for the past year or two but being here full time is...well...as an unapologetic introvert I'd be OK. But, you know, the retired wifey who, when not making masks, is glued to xtian end-of-time shit and watching sermons on her laptop. Fortunately she is in another room. We do our 2-mile walk most days.

There's another round of furloughs at work next week and my number might come up. Employees are not allowed to work when on furlough as companies could use gub'mint $$ to offset payroll expenses. I will keep working, however. I'll just place my development database on my own lappy and keep coding.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• Like 3

Guest freedwoman
56 minutes ago, MOHO said:

Up to this point I'm working from home - 10hour days - 5 days/week.

I've been working from home at least 2 days/week for the past year or two but being here full time is...well...as an unapologetic introvert I'd be OK. But, you know, the retired wifey who, when not making masks, is glued to xtian end-of-time shit and watching sermons on her laptop. Fortunately she is in another room. We do our 2-mile walk most days.

There's another round of furloughs at work next week and my number might come up. Employees are not allowed to work when on furlough as companies could use gub'mint $$ to offset payroll expenses. I will keep working, however. I'll just place my development database on my own lappy and keep coding.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I wish I could work from home. I'm stuck at a dead end job with a lot of weirdos creeps and jerks! 🙄😠 I'd feel safe if I could work from home.

Anyway. How am I coping? I'm watching Netflix and journalling a lot more. I'm spending even more time online. 

Guest freedwoman
14 hours ago, AcrobaticDetective said:

I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home. Other than that, YouTube, Netflix, and reading.

I wanna work from home! How do you do it? I'm sick of my dead end job. I don't feel safe having to walk home at night either. 

2 hours ago, freedwoman said:

I wanna work from home! How do you do it? I'm sick of my dead end job. I don't feel safe having to walk home at night either. 

What are you skill sets?

IT?

Software/Data Base Development?

Project Management?

Bean Counting?

Guest freedwoman
14 minutes ago, MOHO said:

What are you skill sets?

IT?

Software/Data Base Development?

Project Management?

Bean Counting?

Customer service. I think that could count? I work night shift at a gas station part time. Sometimes I have to work full time.

Guest freedwoman
1 minute ago, freedwoman said:

Customer service. I think that could count? I work night shift at a gas station part time. Sometimes I have to work full time.

I want an entry level work from home job if they exist?

1 hour ago, freedwoman said:

I want an entry level work from home job if they exist?

Many firms have customer service positions that are remote.

You must have great communications skills and not be apposed to learning computer applications.

Other thoughts are medical transcribing, answering services, smart phone tech support (if you are trainable).

Other than that the only entry level work from home I can think of is motherhood. :shrug:

• Like 1

Guest freedwoman
6 minutes ago, MOHO said:

Other than that the only entry level work from home I can think of is motherhood. :shrug:

🤮👎

Guest freedwoman
22 minutes ago, MOHO said:

Plus that job doesn't pay money. It costs money. Besides I don't want a husband. Marriage is overrated. 

• Super Moderator

There are plenty of online scams that allow you to work from home.  Usually they require nothing more than cashing a few fraudulent checks and paying other "employees" via gift cards or money transfers.  Plus, you'll probably be helping some junkie get the drugs he needs, so there's medical benefits, too.

• Haha 2

Guest freedwoman
48 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

There are plenty of online scams that allow you to work from home.  Usually they require nothing more than cashing a few fraudulent checks and paying other "employees" via gift cards or money transfers.  Plus, you'll probably be helping some junkie get the drugs he needs, so there's medical benefits, too.

True. I guess I have no choice to go back to college. But I'm getting to old for that. Gotta hurry up with my life. 

• Super Moderator
4 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

True. I guess I have no choice to go back to college. But I'm getting to old for that. Gotta hurry up with my life. 

I went back when I was 35.  It's never too late.

• Like 1

Guest freedwoman
2 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I went back when I was 35.  It's never too late.

Thanks for the encouragement. 🤗

38 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

I don’t know how old you are but I’ll be in my 40’s when I go back. Eta: I’m also considering a masters, probably in social work. If that’s the case I’ll be close to 50 when I earn that. 

I know this is probably not the most opportune time to suggest it, but we need more nurses.

When I was teaching undergraduate  nurses, my oldest graduating student was in her 60s! Many, many students were in their 30s. I currently work in 2 locations: a hospital on an acute unit a few times a month (now a COVID unit) and a nursing home (leadership position). It is a never-ending struggle to get more help and that has been long before the pandemic.

As for keeping myself busy during quarantine, I get home pretty late every day, but I am experimenting with some art projects and trying hard to get restful sleep. I'm being treated for an (presumed) ulcer (cant get the diagnostic testing right now), so that doesn't help. I'm into meditation, but far from being an expert with it. I find group meditation (even with one other person) to be very synergistic, but haven't had the courage to reach out to find others who may be interested in the same.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@freshstart, I’m considering nursing. I’m going between nursing and social work. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, freedwoman said:

1 hour ago, SarahJaneSmith said:

@freshstart, I’m considering nursing. I’m going between nursing and social work. 

When I was a college prof. the students who were the most motivated were the ones who were coming back after some life experience. They knew what they wanted and what the stakes were.

My next door neighbor was in construction and got hurt. Went back to school in his late '40s and got a nursing degree. Now he works for the county health dept., normal hours and great benefits. Also, many colleges have reentry offices set up to help folks like you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of older college students.  Don't let age hold you back.

• Thanks 1

Guest freedwoman
2 hours ago, older said:

Went back to school in his late '40s and got a nursing degree.

I love men nurses. They are so much sweeter and more gentle than women nurses. I worked with both when I was a lot younger. Nice men are a major weakness of mine. 💖😍

Anyway, no more off topic for me. Thanks for the encouragement to go back to college everyone. 👍🤗