Goodbye Jesus

How are y'all occupying your spare time during this pandemic?

ZenPaladin

16 hours ago, freedwoman said:

Plus that job doesn't pay money.

Oh I don't know.

Look at Trump's wives.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, freedwoman said:

I'm not good with computers. 

I suggest you rectify that.

15 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I went back when I was 35.  It's never too late.

I finished my bachelor's at 53.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, freshstart said:

I know this is probably not the most opportune time to suggest it, but we need more nurses.

When I was teaching undergraduate  nurses, my oldest graduating student was in her 60s! Many, many students were in their 30s. I currently work in 2 locations: a hospital on an acute unit a few times a month (now a COVID unit) and a nursing home (leadership position). It is a never-ending struggle to get more help and that has been long before the pandemic.

As for keeping myself busy during quarantine, I get home pretty late every day, but I am experimenting with some art projects and trying hard to get restful sleep. I'm being treated for an (presumed) ulcer (cant get the diagnostic testing right now), so that doesn't help. I'm into meditation, but far from being an expert with it. I find group meditation (even with one other person) to be very synergistic, but haven't had the courage to reach out to find others who may be interested in the same.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!

Thank you for you much needed medical service, @freshstart.

• Thanks 1

I am working from home. I process interlibrary loan requests at Vanderbilt University library. I would much rather go in to work, but they closed the campus libraries, gave us laptops, and told us to work remotely. So I am adjusting to my new situation. I gotta admit, it is saving me money, not having the Uber / Lyft expenses. Still, I like to get outta the house fer work, so I will be happy when everything reopens.

Spare time? I'm continuing to draw my silly "superheroines-in-KO-peril" art for my Deviant Art page. I have a bunch of programming jamming up my DVR that I will watch, eventually. Plus, from time to time, I will read some good Lovecraftian fiction or books about Fortean phenomena.

• Like 3

To help break the boredom and cabin fever,  I took a camping trip to a remote rural area and took our dog with me.  Couldn't get my wife to go.  We took all the food we needed, and enjoyed long hikes in a "badlands" area that had been opened up recently.  Saw all kinds of wildlife, and the largest herd of buffalo I have ever seen.  And one was a rare white buffalo.  The only chance of exposure, or exposing anyone else, was refueling at a gas station, and I minimized that with Clorox wipes.  Western Kansas isn't the most spectacular place in the world, but does have some interesting features if you look for them.

• Like 8

Guest freedwoman
6 hours ago, MOHO said:

Oh I don't know.

Look at Trump's wives.

I could never live off a spouces money. I'll stick with my gas station job.

It looks like I, and a lot of others are spending a lot more time on the internet!

Guest freedwoman
20 minutes ago, Weezer said:

It looks like I, and a lot of others are spending a lot more time on the internet!

Yes. I miss being able to go out for fun though. I miss sports and long walks.

8 hours ago, Weezer said:

The number of daily posts on this site has sure increased.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, freedwoman said:

Yes. I miss being able to go out for fun though. I miss sports and long walks.

Today’s the first day I wished I could just go walk a trail for a couple hours! I ended up doing a “walk at home” video through YouTube to stay active, but yeah, I miss it, too. 

Currently unemployed, got laid off from both jobs. I'm one of those people spending a lot more time on the internet. Ive been playing online games with family, audiobooks (just started Heaven and Hell by Ehrman), cooking good meals, watching movies I haven't seen (there's a LOT - TV was not a thing until I left my ex cult), and spending time with my honey. I also started meditation and journaling and some more creative activities. 

I'd also like to go back to school some day but $ is a real issue. I'd need to figure out what's a better fit for work while dealing with my health challenges. Age should never stop a person from going after whatever they want. Y'all hear? If you want to do it and can do it, don't let anything stop you. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SarahJaneSmith said:

Today’s the first day I wished I could just go walk a trail for a couple hours! I ended up doing a “walk at home” video through YouTube to stay active, but yeah, I miss it, too. 

Where do you live that you can't go for a walk?  In Kansas there are more people walking in our neighborhood than ever before.  It is no problem if you keep your distance, wear a mask, and don't touch anything.

2 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Age should never stop a person from going after whatever they want. Y'all hear? If you want to do it and can do it, don't let anything stop you. 

👍👍👍👍

17 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Where do you live that you can't go for a walk?  In Kansas there are more people walking in our neighborhood than ever before.  It is no problem if you keep your distance, wear a mask, and don't touch anything.

San Fransisco area. We can still walk in the neighborhoods but our parks, trails, and beaches are closed. SF police have started ticketing people who are out there. Eta, rereading this makes me sound like I’m complaining. Sigh. Just miss normal walking spots. I’m grateful to still be able to go outside, though. 

I am glad Kansas left their parks open.  People seem to be obeying the rules and keeping their distance.  But we don't have near the population density you have.

• Super Moderator

Given that I live out there where the foxes fuck, getting outside hasn't been a problem, fortunately.  In the past two weeks, I've been able to get a garden planted, a melon patch started, got a koi pond dug, banked, and graded and got the edges sown in grass.  Later, I'll gather stones from the creek to line it with.  Maybe come fall, I'll run some electricity up to it for a filter and fountain.  Anything to keep busy.

• Like 4

I have a nursing job lined up in Fort Wayne, IN starting in either May or June (depending on when I can take my licensure exam), so most of my unoccupied time is spent packing. My cat is intimidated by the whole packing process, but delighted at the number of boxes availible to play in. I am still working though (as a nursing assistant) four days a week, so I don't have that much free time.

• Like 2