Goodbye Jesus

Are You Weak If You Need A God/Goddess/Spiritual Entity?

Guest freedwoman

Guest freedwoman

Just curious what others think about this. I need that. Plus I'm also very weak. I wish I had an all loving, merciful, forgiving, protective divine entity to crawl to when I'm hurt, scared, confused, and hopeless. True Atheists are so strong! I envy you all. I wish I had your strength. 

• Super Moderator

I don't see a correlation between being spiritual and being weak.  How are they related?  How does one equal the other?  Help me out here.

You're not weak.

Especially in these crazy times with the pandemic and all.

• Like 1

Guest freedwoman
Just now, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I don't see a correlation between being spiritual and being weak.  How are they related?  How does one equal the other?  Help me out here.

I don't know really. Some one called me a cowardly theist before.  It's because I want it's protection. I want to be able to crawl to it on my hands and knees and cry while being held and rocked like a baby. I want to have it solve my problems. I want it to hug and kiss me and tell me everythings going to be all right. I want it to give me a reason to live. But replace all these wants with needs! I guess he's right. But I'm an agnostic not a theist. 

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, freedwoman said:

Just curious what others think about this. I need that. Plus I'm also very weak. I wish I had an all loving, merciful, forgiving, protective divine entity to crawl to when I'm hurt, scared, confused, and hopeless. True Atheists are so strong! I envy you all. I wish I had your strength. 

Atheists don't choose unbelief out of strength. In fact they don't choose it at all. Atheism is a conclusion one reaches after investigating supernatural claims. There is great freedom in realizing that it was always you and not some god/goddess who always handled everything anyway. Looking outside ourselves for "something more" or an external source of magical strength seems to be a common trait among humans. I'll just say it's better when you realize it's all up to you and always was. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Guest freedwoman
4 minutes ago, florduh said:

Atheists don't choose unbelief out of strength. In fact they don't choose it at all. Atheism is a conclusion one reaches after investigating supernatural claims. There is great freedom in realizing that it was always you and not some god/goddess who always handled everything anyway. Looking outside ourselves for "something more" or an external source of magical strength seems to be a common trait among humans. I'll just say it's better when you realize it's all up to you and always was. 

Then that means I don't have a second chance. 😟

Guest freedwoman
27 minutes ago, hello said:

You're not weak.

Especially in these crazy times with the pandemic and all.

Thanks. 🤗

• Super Moderator
3 minutes ago, freedwoman said:

Then that means I don't have a second chance. 😟

I don't understand.

Guest freedwoman
1 minute ago, florduh said:

I don't understand.

To get things right? To have answers? To be a better person? Another life after this one? Beautiful and blissful I hope?!

1 hour ago, freedwoman said:

Is anyone really strong? I'm not sure that the answer is "yes". We're all scared, confused, and hopeless from time to time. This is life.

Please don't confuse being a "strong atheist" with personally being strong. To claim to be a "strong atheist" is to make a strong claim, not to actually be strong. I'm a strong atheist, and I struggle every single day with something or other.

Everyone is dealing with something. We're all just trying to get through the day. Divest yourself of the idea that someone other than you has the answers, and you'll be well on your way to being as "strong" as anyone else actually is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, freedwoman said:

You know what I do when the chips are down? Talk to myself, and I actually answer :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, freedwoman said:

Seeking spirituality isn't a weakness it is a strength. There is more to life than materialism and consumerism. Keep looking,I hope you find fullfilment like I did from Wicca.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, freedwoman said:

To get things right? To have answers? To be a better person? Another life after this one? Beautiful and blissful I hope?!

I believe you do. Try researching reincarnation.

• Like 1

Hi Freedwoman, just my experience:  I used to think that I could not go on if Christianity turned out to be false. I thought I needed God and Jesus just to exist.

But events of life, and failures of the Christian system of thought, eventually brought me out of the cult.

And after that, eventually hardships came, like my spouse's stroke and semi-paralysis, my father's disability, cognitive decline and death... and I just put one foot ahead of the other one and did what I had to do. I discovered I didn't need "God." What I needed was the strength within myself - which is what, I think, the God voice was all along - and the help of others. 

and that's the human condition. At this point it is much more comforting to think that the universe just is what it is, and shit happens, than to think that God is engineering THIS flawed outcome that we see before our eyes.

All best, f

• Like 3

6 hours ago, freedwoman said:

4 hours ago, florduh said:

Atheists don't choose unbelief out of strength. In fact they don't choose it at all. Atheism is a conclusion one reaches after investigating supernatural claims. There is great freedom in realizing that it was always you and not some god/goddess who always handled everything anyway. Looking outside ourselves for "something more" or an external source of magical strength seems to be a common trait among humans. I'll just say it's better when you realize it's all up to you and always was

1 hour ago, ficino said:

And after that, eventually hardships came, like my spouse's stroke and semi-paralysis, my father's disability, cognitive decline and death... and I just put one foot ahead of the other one and did what I had to do. I discovered I didn't need "God." What I needed was the strength within myself - which is what, I think, the God voice was all along - and the help of others

@freedwoman

It's been within you all along. Whatever comfort you have ever received from believing in these things, was YOU yourself the entire time. Inter-play between your conscious and sub-conscious mind to be precise. Whatever power was there, is still there now. The power to over come, whatever. And it can probably be tuned up even more when you start to recognize and acknowledge this on your own. It just entails switching gears from external to internal focus. 

Put it this way, we're in the middle of a bit of a crisis financially and otherwise here in the US and around the world.

Not only am I not going backwards, I'm pushing ahead. Right now. In the middle of this mess. I'm determined about it. And reality is responsive in like fashion. It may be that only certain personality types (perhaps the rarer) are capable in this way. Leading to minority status atheistic or even esoteric types in the world in contrast to run of the mill theists of organized religion. And massive statistics for god belief whether through organized religion or not. 

But I tend to think that everyone is equally capable of seeing it within themselves whether or not that's actually the case. According to statistics, it may not be. But nevertheless, it's there for the taking for whoever does find it. The secret is crossing the hurtle to acknowledging within yourself that it's always been you. The whole time. And always will be going forward too. And then taking the reigns of your own life and doing the best that you can do. With all of the power that can come with this type of self recognition. 

• Like 3

Reminds me of the story of Dumbo. He needed to hold his "magic" feather to allow him to fly, only to later realise the feather was perfectly mundane and the ability was within him all along. 

So hold onto your feather if you need to but understand that having dropped it you'll still be able to fly. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I don't need something outside of myself to give me strength.  I already have it.  I just need to get in touch with it.  My "spirituality" does that; and only that.  It puts me in touch, and keeps me in touch, with myself.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

Seeking spirituality isn't a weakness it is a strength. There is more to life than materialism and consumerism. Keep looking,I hope you find fullfilment like I did from Wicca.

This would simply be trading once superstition (vice?) for another.

Not a good idea for those who seek truth and growth in their lives.

12 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

The secret is crossing the hurtle to acknowledging within yourself that it's always been you. The whole time. And always will be going forward too. And then taking the reigns of your own life and doing the best that you can do. With all of the power that can come with this type of self recognition. 

Very well said. 

The weakness you feel is just that.  It is simply a feeling that you were programed to have by religion; and perhaps by family??  You are in the process of reprogramming now and just need more time to let it sink in. 

Trust your own ability to think, and sort things out for yourself.  you have began the process, just hang in there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MOHO said:

This would simply be trading once superstition (vice?) for another.

Not a good idea for those who seek truth and growth in their lives.

Or it is trading one spiritual path that doesn't fit you for one that does. Also I seek truth and growth in my life to and magick has given that to me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LeiaBryant said:

Or it is trading one spiritual path that doesn't fit you for one that does. Also I seek truth and growth in my life to and magick has given that to me.

Given that magic is simply trickery I am inclined to conclude that magic and truth and antithetical with respect to each other.

21 hours ago, freedwoman said:

I dont think people are weak if they look to something more powerful than themselves (like a god) in times of distress, or just to maintain a sense of well-being. Whether a god is real or not, a good portion of human beings seem to feel and express a spiritual-mindedness. If there is no god and this spirituality people have is simply part of your brain, then some people have decided not to use part of their brain ( I guess). I personally like that part of my brain. Of course, other parts of my brain think the spiritual part is delusional. There's quite a bit of fun going on inside my head. lol

But I think it's silly to shutdown common sense and just expect a god to do whatever you wish (like stop covid-19). It just aint gonna happen, in my experience. 

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but nothing really has changed other than your perspective. If God was real prior to your deconversion, then he still is real. If God was false prior to your deconversion, then he is still false. Reality has not changed, only your view of it. And your view of it can be any thing you like. You can have a lot of God. You can no God at all. You can have a little bit. 

Dont feel guilty because part of you needs something that another part of you is sure is nonsense. Give yourself what you need. Just dont let other people decide what you need. Dont let other people decide what you believe. 

Sometimes I pray. Other times I think religion is hooey. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MOHO said:

Given that magic is simply trickery I am inclined to conclude that magic and truth and antithetical with respect to each other.

Your confusing magic (illusion/trickery) for magick ( the real thing)