Goodbye Jesus

Not even COVID-19 can stop Easter in my house...

ZenPaladin

Just got done making a homemade veggie burger, and my mom i the whole time I was cooking,was really hammering down the religious stuff. It was actually starting to scare me a bit. She was playing a video sermon live from her church, and initally asked me to watch it but I told her I had EMT homework(which is true, also a convenient excuse.)

So she goes on and on, making ''amens'' telling me ''you're going to hell, son'' and how this virus is God shutting the world down to get us to listen to him, and she also said that he was gonna make me regret not turning and make me see that I need him(God is starting to sound like a fucking mobster).

She also said that my paternal grandparents would be disappointed in me being interested in Buddha, and said ''Buddha isn't gonna help you'' and ''no one is like Jesus.'' If you are wondering why I'm not putting her foot down, it's because until I finish EMT training, get certified and land a job my only option is to continue living rent free and using the car she lends me(usually pay monthly insurance). But I definitely need to bail, ASAP. I know alot of talk on here has been how the religious conservatives are acting/what they are saying during this crisis, but trust me my mom is a black, a Democrat,  hates Donald Trump and as you can tell really ''feels the spirit.''  Just, fuck my life...

Oh, golly! You really don't need that kind of crap. Yup, get out as soon as you get a good-paying job. Stick to your plan ;  it will be great for your sanity to leave that situation far behind.

3 hours ago, ZenPaladin said:

So she goes on and on, making ''amens'' telling me ''you're going to hell, son'' and how this virus is God shutting the world down to get us to listen to him, and she also said that he was gonna make me regret not turning and make me see that I need him(God is starting to sound like a fucking mobster).

She also said that my paternal grandparents would be disappointed in me being interested in Buddha, and said ''Buddha isn't gonna help you'' and ''no one is like Jesus.'' If you are wondering why I'm not putting her foot down, it's because until I finish EMT training, get certified and land a job my only option is to continue living rent free and using the car she lends me(usually pay monthly insurance). But I definitely need to bail, ASAP. I know a lot of talk on here has been how the religious conservatives are acting/what they are saying during this crisis, but trust me my mom is a black, a Democrat,  hates Donald Trump and as you can tell really ''feels the spirit.''  Just, fuck my life...

Zen, Welcome to Ex-c.  So glad you are here with us! 

Here is a letter I wrote a few years ago for people like you hun. Hope it helps a little. Stay safe and strong! (hug)

Just now, Margee said:

Zen, Welcome to Ex-c.  So glad you are here with us! 

Here is a letter I wrote a few years ago for people like you hun. Hope it helps a little. Stay safe and strong! (hug)

Thank you very much, but I am actually not that new here. My old account was Dobokdude, and one of my posts was about something that happened in high school.

Bummer, Zen. My sister once advised me when I was putting up with some shit from someone to listen but don't respond other than to smile and nod. Hard to do under the circumstances, but it prevents arguments.

On 4/10/2020 at 3:21 PM, ZenPaladin said:

I know alot of talk on here has been how the religious conservatives are acting/what they are saying during this crisis, but trust me my mom is a black, a Democrat,  hates Donald Trump and as you can tell really ''feels the spirit.''  Just, fuck my life...

I hope it makes you feel less alone to know that I am a vegetarian, I support Donald Trump, I am an (East/non-Pocahontas) Indian, I hate Jesus, and I most certainly do not feel the spirit despise being filled with Him in my Christian days. I also have a degree of respect for Gautama Buddha, despite our vast theological disagreements. So strangely, I overlap with your mother in some respects, and with you in others.

I imagine your mom celebrates Easter for reasons of culture and heritage. Remember that you can respect this while you live with her, while not carrying on the tradition once you leave home. I'm fortunate to have come from a non-Christian home (and was a fool to enter a foreign faith). It's hard for me to imagine how hard it is for someone to leave who was raised in this religion, and you have my best wishes. I hope you'll use this community as a resource whenever you need to talk to like-minded people.

9 minutes ago, Bhim said:

I hope it makes you feel less alone to know that I am a vegetarian, I support Donald Trump, I am an (East/non-Pocahontas) Indian, I hate Jesus, and I most certainly do not feel the spirit despise being filled with Him in my Christian days. I also have a degree of respect for Gautama Buddha, despite our vast theological disagreements. So strangely, I overlap with your mother in some respects, and with you in others.

I imagine your mom celebrates Easter for reasons of culture and heritage. Remember that you can respect this while you live with her, while not carrying on the tradition once you leave home. I'm fortunate to have come from a non-Christian home (and was a fool to enter a foreign faith). It's hard for me to imagine how hard it is for someone to leave who was raised in this religion, and you have my best wishes. I hope you'll use this community as a resource whenever you need to talk to like-minded people.

Thank you very much.  If you want to talk more, DMs are open. At least she is not a full fundie.