Goodbye Jesus

Does Good Friday mean anything anything to you still?

AcrobaticDetective

It was always such an important day to me, but this year it's just Friday. A quarantined Friday, but just a Friday. 

Do you have any attachment left? If you've moved on, have you done something different with the day?

Goodbye Jesus

The Church of Christ equated the Catholic church with the devil, so growing up Good Friday had no special meeting.  We didn't even make a big deal of Easter.  The reasoning was that we celebrated his rising from the dead every Sunday by taking communion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I forgot it was good Friday until this afternoon and only remembered when my atheist cousin texted me something about it. I have some fond memories from Good Fridays from childhood but I’m not missing anything this year. 

• Like 1

To me it means that I took my afternoon nap, just as I do every other day of the year.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Weezer said:

The Church of Christ equated the Catholic church with the devil, so growing up Good Friday had no special meeting.  We didn't even make a big deal of Easter.  The reasoning was that we celebrated his rising from the dead every Sunday by taking communion.

That's interesting. I never knew that about the Church of Christ.

• Super Moderator

I grew up in the ASSemblies of God.  For us, Good Friday took the limelight to Easter Sunday.  On Easter, there was always a major production of the passion play and a mass appeal for salvation.  It was a big deal (and often an expensive one).  Bit, if you wanted to get someone saved, Easter Sunday was a guaranteed opportunity. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AcrobaticDetective said:

That's interesting. I never knew that about the Church of Christ.

We didn’t acknowledge Christmas as anything special either, because it’s a man made holiday. The Bible doesn’t authorize it. Silence of the scriptures doesn’t imply consent. The Church of Christ is the one and only true Church....because it’s THE Church of Christ! Duh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nope. Most Fridays are good since they are the end of the work week for me.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Geezer said:

We didn’t acknowledge Christmas as anything special either, because it’s a man made holiday. The Bible doesn’t authorize it. Silence of the scriptures doesn’t imply consent. The Church of Christ is the one and only true Church....because it’s THE Church of Christ! Duh.

They claimed to, "speak where the Bible speaks, and be silent where the Bible is silent",  but I could never figure out why we didn't wash each other's feet, and greet each other with a holy kiss.  There were some girls I really wanted to greet with a VERY holy kiss.

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

They claimed to, "speak where the Bible speaks, and be silent where the Bible is silent",  but I could never figure out why we didn't wash each other's feet, and greet each other with a holy kiss.  There were some girls I really wanted to greet with a VERY holy kiss.

Or why women did their hair, didn’t cover their heads in church, and wore jewelry.  And almost nobody drank a little wine for their health. Or at least nobody admitted to it. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TABA said:

Or why women did their hair, didn’t cover their heads in church, and wore jewelry.  And almost nobody drank a little wine for their health. Or at least nobody admitted to it. 

It was interesting how they could rationalize away some of the things the early church did.  That was one of the things that prompted my questioning things, and eventually leading up to me being on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Weezer said:

It was interesting how they could rationalize away some of the things the early church did.  That was one of the things that prompted my questioning things, and eventually leading up to me being on this forum.

It isn’t possible to be a Christian without rationalizing away some parts of the Bible, in both Old and New Testaments.  Unless you never think about it, which is how most people deal with the problems...

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Heretic! :woohoo::yelrotflmao: 

• Haha 3

I always hated Good Friday growing up. It was the day that my parents (my mom especially) really hammered home that my sin was part of what killed Jesus and so I had better be grateful he saved my sorry ass. There was usually a Passion play on Good Friday, the Saturday after, and Easter, but what I remember was the guilt. 

Now that I'm out of the church, I do nothing out of the ordinary on those days. Sometimes I'll remember that guilt and feel it all over again—kind of an emotional flashback, I guess?—but then I'll remind myself I'm not mired in that way of thinking anymore. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Geezer said:

Heretic! :woohoo::yelrotflmao: 

It was a time of very mixed feelings.  A set up for quilt and depression. Those of a red blooded, horny American boy, but, like Phil said, at the same time feeling guilty for my very normal human feelings and thoughts.  A real "catch 22."  But this is highjacking the thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

It was a time of very mixed feelings.  A set up for quilt and depression. Those of a red blooded, horny American boy, but, like Phil said, at the same time feeling guilty for my very normal human feelings and thoughts.  A real "catch 22."  But this is highjacking the thread. 

No, you’re not highjacking the thread. You are simply acknowledging the reality of what Christianity is like and what it does to people, especially teens. It is simply not possible for any human to be “perfect”. And the pressure to be a perfect Christian often leads to mental health issues. Living in fear of a supernatural deity’s vengeance and punishment 24/7 results in a miserable life. 

Fear is, and has always been, the big club religion uses to obtain and retain their adherents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just opened a "sex" thread in the QUESTIONS forum.

51 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I just opened a "sex" thread in the QUESTIONS forum.

I’m intrigued. How do I find this? I found the “sex & Christianity” thread but it’s password protected. 

45 minutes ago, SarahJaneSmith said:

I’m intrigued. How do I find this? I found the “sex & Christianity” thread but it’s password protected. 

Weezer’s post is not in a password-protected section.  If you still want access to the Sex &  Christianity section you should ask a Moderator. 

• Thanks 1

Look in the QUESTIONS section. I don't know how to do a link. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SarahJaneSmith said:

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

Good Friday? Well, I do miss nailing myself to a cross.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, florduh said:

Good Friday? Well, I do miss nailing myself to a cross.

You nailed yourself to a cross?  The Romans nailed me to one but I am doing better today.

mwc

• Haha 4