Goodbye Jesus

To Kill a Mockingchrist

AntiChrist

Frankly I would like to forget my personal experience being a Christian, and dealing with Christian's. It's almost my entire life span up to  now (Gone) entangled in a belief system that almost drove me mad. How fake are humans when they filter everything through a belief based lens, and how futile it was to think I was accepted by those types of people.

Eventually my mind became so worn out hearing 'Jesus loves you" & "Welcome to the family" That I now reject the common social model of the family and love.

It only took 5-6 years for me to snap out of my beliefs that I am left augmented by the experience, and I now see belief as the true cancer on this planet. Beliefs can be a very powerful force, because they can convince a human that anything can be true. Like the sales person who sells a customer an inferior product by convincing them how fantastic it is, and it fits them perfectly.

• Like 5

Belief is a substitute for knowing. It is fine when based on some actual evidence (like a hypothesis), but religion always wants it to be in a vacuum.

"Here's a book, it is a substitute for all the cool magical things he promised in the book. Isn't that wonderful?! Remember, he LUVS you..."

People (like myself) get suckered into the bargain of belief through fears, crises, or often through manipulative friends (sponsors in 12-step addiction programs) that promise all kinds of magical cures and LUUUUVVVV. Since there is a default respect given through the culture to the many churches in every city, that lends a bit of credence to mind when we weigh the claims of magical fixes, enough that millions fall for it every year. If instead we treated it as a known cult, a blood cult on the level of the Manson Family, then people would tend to avoid it, and the gaping holes in the belief system would be more commonly broadcast instead of propaganda TV series like "Jesus of Nazareth", and movies like "The Ten Commandments". We also face the uphill battle of "you should respect people's beliefs". No, we really shouldn't. We should respect obvious verifiable truth and question beliefs openly. The other side of the same coin is that we don't have to be assholes about it, but simply keep pointing out reality. Or we can keep on ignoring the believers, if that is a more peaceful life. 

• Like 7

Years ago it suddenly occurred to me that religions are the biggest, most wide spread superstitions in the world.  Kinda mind blowing that so many people believe them.  And looking at history, it takes centuries to see real changes.  Hopefully the easy access to information will speed things up.  It will help if we can get more emphasis on critical thinking in our school systems.  But the "right wingers" Are dead set against that.  They want God and prayer back in schools.  LOL, so in the next election, run for a spot on your school board! 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Fuego said:

Belief is a substitute for knowing. It is fine when based on some actual evidence (like a hypothesis), but religion always wants it to be in a vacuum.

"Here's a book, it is a substitute for all the cool magical things he promised in the book. Isn't that wonderful?! Remember, he LUVS you..."

People (like myself) get suckered into the bargain of belief through fears, crises, or often through manipulative friends (sponsors in 12-step addiction programs) that promise all kinds of magical cures and LUUUUVVVV. Since there is a default respect given through the culture to the many churches in every city, that lends a bit of credence to mind when we weigh the claims of magical fixes, enough that millions fall for it every year. If instead we treated it as a known cult, a blood cult on the level of the Manson Family, then people would tend to avoid it, and the gaping holes in the belief system would be more commonly broadcast instead of propaganda TV series like "Jesus of Nazareth", and movies like "The Ten Commandments". We also face the uphill battle of "you should respect people's beliefs". No, we really shouldn't. We should respect obvious verifiable truth and question beliefs openly. The other side of the same coin is that we don't have to be assholes about it, but simply keep pointing out reality. Or we can keep on ignoring the believers, if that is a more peaceful life. 

"Everyone has a right to their beliefs"  What does that actually mean? (In theory)

Religion has achieved this protective barrier around their “beliefs”. It is an unspoken rule that people’s religious “beliefs” are not to be criticized, and under no circumstances ridiculed......."because that’s what they believe.”  I can’t think of anything else society has set aside and declared that it cannot be criticized. 

It is somewhat amazing the declared and undeclared power religion has obtained on this planet. Even if their beliefs are obviously absurd and ridiculous it’s socially unacceptable to point that out in pubic. 

So when someone says a cracker turns into the actual body of Christ, during a communion ritual, it’s considered rude to even smile at such an absurd statement. :49:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sure, they can believe they are actual members of Star Fleet or the Klingon Empire, even dress up and pretend. But they are not. They can believe that they are in an intimate relationship with Spiderman and that his radioactive spidey-sense watches over them all the time, which is why they are so free of criminal activity  - see it works! They can believe that they should all drink poison to help them catch the next spacecraft passing by in the tail of a comet. 

But none of those beliefs should be respected, and certainly not honored. My work place is clear that ridiculing religion (and a host of other things) is a no-no, because it could create a hostile work environment which sucks for the victims (I have been one for the past 8 years due to one guy that is intent on insulting me about other things because he gets an almost sexual high by doing it. I've had him in front of HR and the bosses repeatedly and he's finally leaving at the end of May.) The flip side is still tolerated when a believer wants to talk about demons and homelessness, because guys who are clearly not believers either have a default respect for the faith, or they don't want to become a target of "HE'S PERSECUTING MY FAITH!!!!!!!!!!"

So there is a balance that people do have legal rights regarding their beliefs. But we also have a modicum of freedom of speech, and the right to point out fact vs fantasy, particularly if they started the ball rolling. 

• Like 3

On 4/19/2020 at 7:55 AM, Fuego said:

particularly if they started the ball rolling. 

Yes.  This. 

If they make a claim, and if there is true freedom of speech, we should have every right to demand evidence and/or refute....without being subject to "you must respect my religious beliefs", else social/property punishment.

This is a big reason why I chosen not to use my real name Facebook account for thought discussion purposes.  No matter how I would phrase my thoughts, someone would put me in the asshole category.

But, as time goes on, I get more and more tempted to do so.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ConsiderTheSource said:

But, as time goes on, I get more and more tempted to do so.

I get that a lot from a guy I know in Calif who is a sold-out Catholic, but he also just got over COVID-19, and a host of other illnesses and injuries, so I figure I'm going to not say anything to disrupt his comfort even if it pushes my buttons. 

I also have people in my music circle that are believers and GOP, and I hold my tongue there also. One thing I'm learning through all the "news" and social media sites is that I'm just one more opinion. Do I need to respond to a troll? Nope. Do I need to set the record straight? Nope. Do I need to express my ____? Nope. More and more I'm just turning it off, letting stuff pass, not believing in my own opinion changing anyone who isn't looking to change. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2020 at 11:26 PM, Geezer said:

Religion has achieved this protective barrier around their “beliefs”. It is an unspoken rule that people’s religious “beliefs” are not to be criticized, and under no circumstances ridiculed......."because that’s what they believe.”  I can’t think of anything else society has set aside and declared that it cannot be criticized. 

It is somewhat amazing the declared and undeclared power religion has obtained on this planet. Even if their beliefs are obviously absurd and ridiculous it’s socially unacceptable to point that out in pubic. 

So when someone says a cracker turns into the actual body of Christ, during a communion ritual, it’s considered rude to even smile at such an absurd statement. :49:

On 4/20/2020 at 12:55 AM, Fuego said:

Sure, they can believe they are actual members of Star Fleet or the Klingon Empire, even dress up and pretend. But they are not. They can believe that they are in an intimate relationship with Spiderman and that his radioactive spidey-sense watches over them all the time, which is why they are so free of criminal activity  - see it works! They can believe that they should all drink poison to help them catch the next spacecraft passing by in the tail of a comet. 

But none of those beliefs should be respected, and certainly not honored. My work place is clear that ridiculing religion (and a host of other things) is a no-no, because it could create a hostile work environment which sucks for the victims (I have been one for the past 8 years due to one guy that is intent on insulting me about other things because he gets an almost sexual high by doing it. I've had him in front of HR and the bosses repeatedly and he's finally leaving at the end of May.) The flip side is still tolerated when a believer wants to talk about demons and homelessness, because guys who are clearly not believers either have a default respect for the faith, or they don't want to become a target of "HE'S PERSECUTING MY FAITH!!!!!!!!!!"

So there is a balance that people do have legal rights regarding their beliefs. But we also have a modicum of freedom of speech, and the right to point out fact vs fantasy, particularly if they started the ball rolling. 

Ask that monkey man, what specific area of the human brain processes belief.

On 4/19/2020 at 8:26 AM, Geezer said:

Very good point about the "protective barrier"! But I think that it will be weakening in future years, due to the growing numbers of nonreligious folk. At least I hope so.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator
On 4/19/2020 at 10:55 AM, Fuego said:

I would be curious to hear this story if you were up for talking about it.