Goodbye Jesus

Books on transitioning...

AcrobaticDetective

I'm looking for a book on transitioning out of Christianity (or whatever) to atheism. I imagine such a book would have some personal testimonies as well as self help of some sort. What to do for holidays, how to spend your Sundays, etc.

Any recommendations? 

I don’t have any suggestions but would love to know this, too. 

• Like 1

Holidays I mostly ignore, and do what I like those days. Sundays are the same. I found new things to do once the world wasn't my perceived enemy. Though I am an introvert (get my energy mostly from being alone) I took voice lessons, got introduced to piano bars and jazz clubs and found out how I could join in the fun. I started gardening again, trying my hand at growing mushroom logs and things where I had to learn. Some friends do yoga (much harder than it appears) or other fitness routines. I do that to make myself more attractive, which helps when I'm performing songs and otherwise. Dancing is a mix of both music and physical, so that's fun also. All of these are challenging, fun, and take time to learn and hone. So whatever things you enjoy, and that put you outside of your comfort zone and make you learn something new, try those.

Atheism isn't really a thing, it is a lack of religion or our normal state of being when not in a cult. Life is yours to make how you like, to the best of your ability. Clearly, I'm not able to perform now that all the venues are closed to public or even private gatherings. So I am delving into mycology and fermenting things, studying and trying to grow food. Tons to learn, have failed repeatedly, but it interests me and is challenging. I play 1980s video games on MAME32, a program that emulates the old consoles I played as a young adult. No dancing unless it is by myself for a workout. Adapting my behaviors and expectations to fit the current world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fuego said:

Holidays I mostly ignore, and do what I like those days. Sundays are the same. I found new things to do once the world wasn't my perceived enemy. Though I am an introvert (get my energy mostly from being alone) I took voice lessons, got introduced to piano bars and jazz clubs and found out how I could join in the fun. I started gardening again, trying my hand at growing mushroom logs and things where I had to learn. Some friends do yoga (much harder than it appears) or other fitness routines. I do that to make myself more attractive, which helps when I'm performing songs and otherwise. Dancing is a mix of both music and physical, so that's fun also. All of these are challenging, fun, and take time to learn and hone. So whatever things you enjoy, and that put you outside of your comfort zone and make you learn something new, try those.

Atheism isn't really a thing, it is a lack of religion or our normal state of being when not in a cult. Life is yours to make how you like, to the best of your ability. Clearly, I'm not able to perform now that all the venues are closed to public or even private gatherings. So I am delving into mycology and fermenting things, studying and trying to grow food. Tons to learn, have failed repeatedly, but it interests me and is challenging. I play 1980s video games on MAME32, a program that emulates the old consoles I played as a young adult. No dancing unless it is by myself for a workout. Adapting my behaviors and expectations to fit the current world. 

You're definitely keeping your self busy, Fuego. :) That's fantastic. I seem to be stuck with a homesickness...a loneliness that I can't shake.

• Sad 1

If you would enjoy ritual, and want something to do on Sunday, try a Unitarian Universalist church.   They are anything but a traditional church.  From what I saw, most people there are athiests and agnostics, and are into social issues and personal growth. 

• Like 1