Sign in to follow this  
hello

Toilet Paper Shame

I'm not sure where to put this as I don't see an Off Topic subforum.

Never in my life did I think I'd be shamed for buying a pack of toilet paper. I mean people getting insanely mad. Have any of you gotten the stinkeye at a store or otherwise been told you're basically a bad person for this? I wonder if I get more of this because I'm under 65. Because people under 65 don't poop. /s

I just needed a place to vent about this.

Fuck 'em. If you were buying 20 packs of toilet paper, ok then, smackdown for hoarding. 

• Like 2

Something I've always wanted to try but never had the nerve to do is to react by giving a big smile and saying, "Oh hi!! How are you!! I haven't seen you in years..... how have you been? Oh, it's been so long..... we should have lunch some time...." Of course, you need a way to exit quickly before the mark realizes he's been had.

I'm not sure I am understanding you.  What did they say and do to shame you?

I heard one story of a lady abused for buying 5 packs at once, turned out she has something like 10 kids and that was a perfectly normal shopping trip for her. 

I'm happy to say everyone I know just treats the TP rush as a big joke. I said to my neighbour the only reason they left their car in the driveway was their garage was too packed with TP, got a laugh at least. 

I know not everyone will be calm about it, but thankfully those people seem to be few and far between. In reverse you have to make sure that you aren't being paranoid. People looking at you doesn't mean they are thinking bad things about you. Stinkeye can often be in your head rather than theirs. 

Some folks are natural born rule-enforcers/gestapo. Just a few days ago, traffic was backed up due to a bridge lift, but we were near an exit going into town. A few people broke out of line and use the shoulder to take the exit. A guy a few cars back kept blaring his horn at them and wildly gesticulating. He finally pulled his car over onto the shoulder to block them. I think the TP yellers are like that guy. 

The toilet paper manufactures have confirmed over and over there is no shortage of toilet paper. There are producing toilet paper at their normal capacity. Toilet paper is available on amazon and in chain stores in my area. Costco, the countries biggest seller of toilet paper and paper towels, is sold out in my area though, even though they limit customers to one package of each.

Kroger only offers it as an online order with a minimum of a $35 purchase for other non paper items. They limit toilet paper purchase to 2 packages. If folks would just buy what they need there wouldn’t be a problem.

I think the news media’s nonstop negative reporting Is fueling most of this panic buying.

I wonder what cowboys and Indians, back in the Wild West days, wiped their butts with? :wacko:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Geezer said:

I wonder what cowboys and Indians, back in the Wild West days, wiped their butts with? :wacko:

Leaves of three, leave it be.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Geezer said:

Prairie dogs.

• Haha 1

Toilet paper is scarce in my area. In the past 6 or 7 weeks, I have only had 2 shopping trips where I've seen toilet paper on any shelf anywhere (going weekly but several places in a trip), and then it was very limited quantities.

I never expected to see a time when finding toilet paper feels like Christmas! 

Regarding the OP, I haven't gotten any dirty looks. Everyone around here knows how scarce it is, so it's expected that people will grab a pack when it's available. 

20200420_182501.png

• Haha 1

There seems to be a problem with people hoarding ammo as well as toilet paper. It's still easy to find kale, though.

• Haha 3

A news story I read said that one of the problems was that the supply chain was oriented more toward institutional buyers. The sudden switch slowed things down. And think about it — how many uses are at work or school that are now at home?

One morning in the year 2052, Brian got out of bed and went to the bathroom. This was a special day as he was about to open the last roll of toilet paper his parents bought in 2020.

Also see https://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2020/04/19

In rural Oklahoma in the 1940s we used pages from old Sears catalogues.  

From what I have heard the panic started in China where the TP factories in Wuhan shutdown, resulting in shortages. Chinese families and media warned those outside of the country to worry about this happening to them. Once they panic purchased then lots of others saw the quantity available plunge so raced to grab some while they could and it all spirals out of control. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wertbag said:

From what I have heard the panic started in China where the TP factories in Wuhan shutdown, resulting in shortages. Chinese families and media warned those outside of the country to worry about this happening to them. Once they panic purchased then lots of others saw the quantity available plunge so raced to grab some while they could and it all spirals out of control. 

I've been trying to make some sense out of this for weeks now so if this is true people aren't necessarily as crazy as they appear.

There's plenty of images around the net showing folks trying to resell their TP for higher prices right after buying it.  There's also plenty of reports of folks trying to return their hoards once they discovered they couldn't gouge others.  The initial hoarders caused a knock-on effect in the supply chain making problems for everyone on down the line.  Around here, as a result, the senior citizens are snatching it up about as fast as it gets restocked.  According to the folks at our local grocery that my wife asked she was told that since they were given the earliest shopping hours they would clear the paper products off the shelves since they were afraid there wouldn't be any later on so when the rest of the shoppers came in later there's nothing left.  When the store restocks overnight the seniors get first shot and it repeats and this is all because of the initial problem of the people hoarding when this all started. 

At least people have figured out that other items aren't such a rare commodity anymore and shelves are starting to stay stocked even if there are limits are how many we can buy (like only one jug of milk per person no matter the size you take and things like that).

mwc

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.