Goodbye Jesus

missing some Christian music

ShellyD99

I still sing guitar riffs from Phil Keaggy. But then my mind wants to keep going with the Christian playlist I had back in the day, and it is full of devotional words that gag me now.

I still appreciate the humor, slap-the-disobedient-church words, and word-play of Steve Taylor and his protege band The Newsboys. I found myself repeating the lines from We Don't Need No Color Code where he rakes the racist/fascist church over the coals "Bumper sticker on his Ford says Honkies if you love the Lord" (I have no idea how he views the current situation, but it seemed SO apropos)

The vocal harmonies of the original Silverwind were gorgeous. The raw rock of Rez Band "When the love comes down" still pops up in my mind because it was damn good rock. Even old Larry Norman had some good tunes. 

But 30 years of programming my mind with the dogma makes me resist most of the old music now. Once the lyrics kick in, bleah. I can't stomach the old hymns like Amazing Grace because they expect a sing-along to a vile dogma I can't support. Pretty tune though. 

• 2 months later...

I was never into the popular "Christian music" scene, but I'll always listen to Gregorian chant.