Goodbye Jesus

A Post-Materialist Science Already Exists

midniterider

19 hours ago, florduh said:

Certainly a more palatable view to most ex-Christians, and perhaps even more logical. To me it's even a better explanation of reality than we get from Abrahamic religion. Still, that ole debbil evidence.......

So what I had done years ago, is just set the "consciousness" part off to the side. The part of this which is clearly speculative. And I chose not to look at the Brahmanic concepts as consciousness, just as pure existence itself. Because that's what they're saying. That we are the interconnected fabric of existence itself. And the statement holds true, "thou art that." Even leaving the consciousness part out. 

It was several years later when I began to revisit the consciousness issue. I had understood the truth involved in identifying as existence itself. But then became focused on the hard problem of consciousness. And began to see how possible it can be that awareness is inherent in the fabric of existence itself. I still see no intelligence to be found there, but the argument for awareness and observing seems on better footing.

Mystics have meditated until realizing that there's an 'observer factor' lower down in the consciousness scale - beneath our passing thoughts in the mind. I assume that's how this whole Brahman assertion began in antiquity. That we are not our thoughts that stream by. That we can identify with that observer consciousness down deeper yet. Which is just observing, not thinking, and not intelligent as it were. That's what Campbell was point out in the lecture. It's an awareness oriented observation of the thoughts that occur within the brain. And the brain deals with the experiences of time and space. Observed by the underlying observational awareness beneath. 

I don't think for a moment that this leads us to anything supernatural. Whatever is going on is natural by default in my thinking. And I don't necessarily see it as immaterial, either. Especially considering the arguments that particles and material, proceed from it. The distinction between material and immaterial becomes foggy there. 

But I do find it curious. Just in the sense of seeing and understanding how much science still has to go in order to try and figure out the details about life and existence and how consciousness actually fits in. There's a ton of work ahead for science. And it should be good sporting fun trying get these mysteries hammered down. 

Citation for the problem at hand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_problem_of_consciousness

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 4:24 AM, florduh said:

What has magical thinking accomplished? 

It's resulted in some pretty good movies......

• Haha 2