Goodbye Jesus

God without Religion?

Georgia

Hello Everyone! 

I hope you all are keeping safe and staying at home :)

My name is Georgia, I'm 29 years old and live in London, UK. I am firm, strong believer in the Father and the Messiah but I do reject the majority of the religious nonsense. Christianity has been ruined- it's highest members of the church are pedophiles, power hungry, money hungry and false teachers. Many leaders of small congregations are also false teachers, out for themselves and have no idea how to use the scripture (which of course has been altered to fit in with Western customs). So called "Christianity" is an eastern faith which has been manipulated and shaped to be able to brain wash the Western world. 

With that being said, I am interested to find out if those of you who identity as an atheists have had poor experiences in the church? And would you ever consider having a relationship with the father outside of religion ? 

P.S I am a believer but welcome all answers,  but please be respectful of my views as I will yours. I'm up for a debate but not an insult match.

Goodbye Jesus

Hello Georgia, people like me who used to be Christians but are so no longer are often asked whether we left because of bad experiences in church, bad treatment from Christians, disappointment with failures of Christians, and so on. My experiences with people in the churches I attended were pretty much positive. It was the system of teachings and precepts itself that I came to see is not workable.

• Like 3

Here we go again...for...maybe... the thousandth' time.

Christians have come here and proclaimed that...

We are atheists because...

1. We had a bad experience with the church or one of it's members.
  2. We enjoy our "sin".
  3. We never read the Bible.
  4. We read but did not understand the Bible.
  5. We have behavioral issues.
  6. We are riddled with Asperger's.
  7. We are controlled by Satan.

Some of us here are atheists - some are not.

most of us rejected Christianity after much research into the origins of the Bible and how religion, especially the Abrahamic  varietals,  appear to have been invented to control the masses and put people under the rule of governments that utilize religion as a tool.

Your post is an obvious attempt to proselytize and is a direct violation of the policies of this site.

• Thanks 1

MOHO, I agree with you except for that last part about being in violation of our policies.  We're in the Lion's Den here brother...

• Thanks 1

Hi Georgia, and welcome to the Lion's Den, bwahahahahaha!

Seriously, welcome.

I do identify as an atheist, technically an agnostic atheist.  No, I didn't really have any particularly bad experiences in the church, in fact I had a lot of good ones:  good, sincere people who treated me and others only with kindness.  I just realized I could no longer believe in the existence of that God, or any other.

Stay safe and healthy yourself, in London Town!

22 minutes ago, TABA said:

MOHO, I agree with you except for that last part about being in violation of our policies.  We're in the Lion's Den here brother...

It's OK to spew xtian propaganda w/out being part of any real discussion here?

-my bad. :closedeyes:

2 hours ago, Georgia said:

Hello Everyone! 

My name is Georgia, I'm 29 years old and live in London, UK. I am firm, strong believer in the Father and the Messiah but I do reject the majority of the religious nonsense. Christianity has been ruined- it's highest members of the church are pedophiles, power hungry, money hungry and false teachers. Many leaders of small congregations are also false teachers, out for themselves and have no idea how to use the scripture (which of course has been altered to fit in with Western customs). So called "Christianity" is an eastern faith which has been manipulated and shaped to be able to brain wash the Western world. 

I'm curious,  Georgia. How do you differentiate the "majority of the religious nonsense" from, what I take it you believe to be, the germ of truth? To most of us here,  I think you'll find that it's all just nonsense. 

With that being said, I am interested to find out if those of you who identity as an atheists have had poor experiences in the church? And would you ever consider having a relationship with the father outside of religion ? 

Well, I'm an atheist. I've had some very good and some very bad experiences in the church. Overall, I can't say that I'd recommend it.

I do have a relationship with my father outside of religion. It's a bit strained, given all the indoctrination,  followed by my explicit rejection of his worldview, but we are still on speaking terms. And yes, I've deliberately misunderstood you here. I'm afraid you'll just have to deal with that. 

• Super Moderator

Hello Everyone! 

P.S I am a believer but welcome all answers,  but please be respectful of my views as I will yours. I'm up for a debate but not an insult match.

Hello, Georgia.

So why, exactly, are you a "strong believer in the Father and the Messiah?" Do you have any evidence for such a belief? Why is your nonsense better than the other religious nonsense?

I happen to have had a great experience with my old church. The people were nice and I was very close to the pastor, a well educated and sincere man.

A particular sect or congregation is irrelevant once you've honestly studied the Bible and its history. I was studying at Moody when everything finally came together in my epiphany: "Hey, this is all bullshit."

Welcome to the Lion's Den.

• Super Moderator

Y'all play nice, now.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Georgia said:

Hello Everyone! 

Not only the Western world. Anybody who reads it, believes it and succumbs to the fear mongering and control mechanisms of religion. 

Do you understand that it makes no sense to "have a relationship" with something that doesn't exist? Do you understand lack of belief? Would you ever consider having a relationship with the Flying Spaghetti Monster outside of the pastaverse? 

a·the·ist
/ˈāTHēəst/

noun
  1. a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
    "he is a committed atheist"

P.S I am a believer but welcome all answers,  but please be respectful of my views as I will yours.

We don't need to respect your beliefs/views. You're in the Lions Den. There's a big difference between respect for individuals as human beings, and respect for their beliefs. 

You shouldn't be here if you can't accept this, and will get insulted by your beliefs not getting respect. You're in our playground - you came here. 

I'm up for a debate but not an insult match.

Welcome to the Lions Den. 

6 hours ago, Georgia said:

Hello Everyone! 

To stay with your question Georgia, there is a testimony section on this site....or used to be, that might give you some insight. 

Off the subject, and not to derail your thread, but what strikes me about your post is your assuredness that you have some knowledge that enables you to declare other Christians as you have.  Granted it's a good thing that you feel connected, but...

20 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Granted it's a good thing that you feel connected, but...

Care to finish? She pointed out the obvious, that some people are shits. This is the case, religious or not. 

Just now, TruthSeeker0 said:

Care to finish? She pointed out the obvious, that some people are shits. This is the case, religious or not. 

I don't know that I have a finish.  I felt "right".  I sometimes still feel right.  I don't like that attitude nor have a clue what God has in store....

Welcome.  I had very good relationships with people in the denomination I belonged to, but saw some inconsistencies in the doctrine,  and in the Bible.  I prayed to God to help me find the truth, where ever that might lead , and a few years later, after a study of the history of gods and religions, I became agnostic.  The longer I am out (30 years) the more I am sure I made the right choice.  To me the evidence for humans fabricating all religions is overwhelming.  A step by step story of my search for truth is in the 1st page of the TESTIMONIAL section.  And by the way, I do agree with you about what the early and middle ages church did with the Christian religion.   They completely distorted what Jesus intended, but I also decided he (if he existed) was brainwashed into doing what he did.  Also that his resurrection was fabricated.  

• Like 1

The title of your post is somewhat of an oxymoron.   Your belief is your religion.

Hi Georgia:

So if you believe in the father and the messiah then that says to me Christian. Which also means that you believe in a deity that is all-knowing, omnipresent and omnipotent. Thus he has the power to cure cancer and keep children from starving to death or being born with horrific defects but he choses not to use that power. Or it's all part of his sadistic plan. And then he sends himself to earth and kills himself in order to avenge himself for a curse that he put on us because two of our distant ancestors ate fruit off a magical tree after being told to do it by a talking snake.* 

It's a death cult, Georgia. It's obsessed with death; the death of some guy whose existence can't be proven, and the deaths of those who think they have to worship him. Members spend inordinate amounts of time thinking about what happens to them when they die. The symbol they use to represent their religion is a symbol of death. They also have many other negative obsessions: examples include their view of man as being fundamentally bad, and that sex is somehow bad or wrong.

So "poor experiences in the church"? No, just facing reality and using common sense.

------

*This sentence is not original with me.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Georgia said:

am firm, strong believer in the Father and the Messiah but I do reject the majority of the religious nonsense.

What does this even mean? Do you believe the bible is the word of god? Do you believe the bible is inerrant? What do you mean when you say you’re a strong believer but reject the majority of “the religious nonsense”? 

As for whether I’d have a relationship with the father outside of religion, that doesn’t make sense. The father is inseparable from “the religion.”

Personally I left christianity because I couldn’t find evidence for it being true or real, simple as that. 

9 hours ago, Georgia said:

Hello Everyone! 

You reject the majority of the religious nonsense...like the bible? That is the biggest pile of nonsense, right there. 

If I wanted to have my own personal relationship with God I would. I dont really want one though. Enjoy yours. 

3 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

I don't know that I have a finish.  I felt "right".  I sometimes still feel right.  I don't like that attitude nor have a clue what God has in store....

Hi Edgar.

13 hours ago, Georgia said:

Hello Everyone! 

Depending on how you define "religion" simple belief in a deity is enough to qualify as religion.  Given what you've said I'm going to assume that you probably don't think so which means we have to go with rites and rituals.  Do you engage in any?  Prayers or whatnot?  I'd have to make a guess but if you're having a "relationship" then it probably involves these things just not in a formal institution.  So you're still involved in religion, just informally so.

So, to answer your question, no I'm not interested.

mwc

Why do Christians think their “beliefs” should be respected?  Do Christians respect Mormon beliefs, Muslim beliefs, Hindu beliefs, Scientologist beliefs? I don’t think so, but they expect their beliefs to be respected and accepted by people that don’t share their beliefs. Why is that? 

I can respect a persons right to believe whatever they want, without respecting their beliefs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi Georgia. Where did you

go? If you really just want to answer your question there are hundreds of deconversion stories archived on this site that you can easily access. But I’ll answer your question. I had trouble with being sure I was saved around 4 and 5 years old so had anxiety about getting left behind while my family was raptured up into the clouds. That was gone though by the time I started doubting if the whole story was really true at 13 and 14. I just was positive it was a significantly made up story and that the do nothing god it centered around wasn’t there so at 15 announced to parents I didn’t believe and didn’t want to go to church anymore.

That completely ended it for me. I’m 72 now with an atheist wife and 3 grown atheist children. We think it’s a made up bible with some historical elements of varying levels of accuracy.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, midniterider said:

Hi Edgar.

Hey M...hope everyone is doing well.

Hi Georgia! I assume you just happened across an ex christian site and became intrigued. This isn't exactly the same as most atheist sites.

It's atheist dominant, but from the perspective of christians who consciously made the switch to atheism, eastern philosophy, neo-paganism, or just plain independent thinker status in general. Part of that journey often includes lacking belief, for research and study oriented reasons, in things like the christian concept of god the father and son.

We sometimes have people who left christianity simply out of rebellion with no strong intellectual reasoning behind it. But that seems to be the rare exception in this community. In this community, even the rebellious are generally very self educated about the theist and atheist philosophical debates, the history of monotheism, how christianity relates to world mythology and how christianity reused pagan motifs for their own purposes. And more importantly, it's very well known around here about how shaky a path it is to assume that the new testament stories are historically accurate, or even historical at all. 

There's little room left for belief in either (1) The Father or (2) a Messiah when all of this has been laid bare

As you can see already, this isn't a community well suited for christians to come along trying to proselytize and reconvert. Most of us are way too far beyond any of that. We know too much about the topic to fall for such things. And ultimately, it's just plain silly for anyone to come here trying to do that. 

But, we have this Lion's Den forum where christians are allowed and welcome to try. You can carry on if you'd like. But you've been warned of the local landscape. Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hi Everyone :)

Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate you telling me your stories. 

Firstly I would like to point out that I am not here trying to covert anybody, I am genuinely interested in whether the church has something to do with people's shift in belief. 

I know the rules and I will stick to them! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1