Goodbye Jesus

God without Religion?

Georgia

• Super Moderator
9 minutes ago, disillusioned said:

K.

Leave it to @disillusioned to bring potassium into the conversation.

• Haha 3

To LogicalFallacy and TheRedNeckProfessor.

Not really, they simply indicate a person who doesn't write well, and has poor understanding of science. My father makes many of the same scientific errors (It's just a theory etc) but I assure you he is a genuine Christian.

Ok, point taken.  But consider this.

Georgia has (twice) claimed to 'work in mental health', whatever that means. 

Unless she's some kind of unregistered, self-taught practitioner, surely any university-educated, properly-qualified mental health worker should be able to write well, have a proper understanding of the basics of science and be able to tell a conspiracy theory from a bona fide scientific theory?

Looking at this from an employer's p.o.v., would you take on someone who writes as poorly as Georgia, who has such a poor grasp of science and who genuinely believes that the government of the UK is being controlled by Satan?

?

Anyway, I've asked her politely to tell us exactly which university she attended, how we can contact them and where we can find their published bee study results on the internet.

These are not unreasonable questions and nor are they difficult theological queries that she needs to go away and think carefully about.

Sick dog or not, she should be able to easily and speedily provide straightforward answers.

I look forward to them

Thank you.

Walter.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
28 minutes ago, WalterP said:

That's a hoot!

4 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I don't think Georgia's genuineness as a christian is under scrutiny here, only her claim to have been educated through the university level, which I still suspect.  It may be that she just didn't do well, as I indicated.  Or it may be that she didn't go at all.  

When I was a christian, I was notorious for embellishing the truth.  Some of my friends still laugh about the stories I used to tell.  I believed in doing whatever was necessary to bring people into the kingdom of god; and if it took a lie, or, rather, an embellishment of the truth, then that's what it got.

I'm not saying that Georgia is doing the same thing; I'm only implying it, and supporting my implication with the observations that have made me suspicious.  I'm sure theirs a perfectly reasonable explanation; and now Georgia has an opportunity to tell us what it is.

A graduate from the University of Phoenix..

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, WalterP said:

I have my suspicions about this as well.  I have attended the occasional 12 step meeting over the years.  On an online forum, with relative anonymity, I could easily stretch that into, "I often counsel with substance abuse victims."  Although technically true, the implication is vastly different from the reality.

5 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I have my suspicions about this as well.  I have attended the occasional 12 step meeting over the years.  On an online forum, with relative anonymity, I could easily stretch that into, "I often counsel with substance abuse victims."  Although technically true, the implication is vastly different from the reality.

Similarly, just because I helped moderate a domestic violence forum at one time, it doesn't mean I have training equivalent to a registered psychologist or social worker.

8 hours ago, WalterP said:

Unless she's some kind of unregistered, self-taught practitioner, surely any university-educated, properly-qualified mental health worker should be able to write well, have a proper understanding of the basics of science and be able to tell a conspiracy theory from a bona fide scientific theory?

Looking at this from an employer's p.o.v., would you take on someone who writes as poorly as Georgia, who has such a poor grasp of science and who genuinely believes that the government of the UK is being controlled by Satan?

Well, I taught at a four-year state university and I saw a handout from a history professor that looked like it was written by a second-grade student. And this was NOT an issue of English as a second language. (Frankly, many of the foreign students I encountered had stronger English skills than some of the native speakers.) And, having seen the application letters from PhDs seeking employment with us, nothing surprises me. Anyone who has worked at a university knows that there is no shortage of nut cases on the payroll. Twenty minutes at a faculty committee meeting will confirm this. 

A little thing I used to put as my email sig line:

They don't call

This place

An institution

For nothing.

• Haha 1

Looking at this from an employer's p.o.v., would you take on someone who writes as poorly as Georgia, who has such a poor grasp of science and who genuinely believes that the government of the UK is being controlled by Satan?

If she was my daughter. Or niece. :)

2 hours ago, older said:

. Anyone who has worked at a university knows that there is no shortage of nut cases on the payroll. Twenty minutes at a faculty committee meeting will confirm this. 

People is people. Some just have letters after their name. :)

• Haha 2

@WalterP I agree with most of your points. My issue was with accusing her of being a spoofer and not a genuine Christian. 

None of the points you make point conclusively to her being a spoofer, or that they indicate that she's not a genuine Christian. (And we cannot use some other Christian's definition here. What I'm meaning is that she genuinely believes that she is a Christian... regardless of theological issues)

What might be indicated is some dishonesty or 'fudging' the line of what she claims her qualifications are and where she's worked etc.

What is certainly the case is that she does not have a basic grasp of science, and on top of that has a big tin foil hat. 

Or you could be right.

1 hour ago, midniterider said:

People is people. Some just have letters after their name. :)

Have you got an issue with Logical Fallacy, BBus, ACA? Huh. What is your issue with my letters? :P 

Georgia is an enigma.  I am not saying this is what is going on with her, but a several years ago I knew a very baffling guy that reminded me of her in some ways.  Very friendly and liked to please and help people, but had some brain damage.  He had trouble distinguishing between reality and his fantasies.  He could really spin some fantastic stories, could mimick other people's voices, and pretended to be different people at times.  He fooled several people, and even got some different jobs, but always lost them in a few days when it became obvious he was a fake.  He always wanted jobs that were above his education and training level.  He wanted to be seen as important.  It was almost like he really believed the stories he was telling.  But if you were really knowledgable about what he was saying, and he talked long enough, you would notice some loose ends.  When discovered he would just disappear.  

Well, that didn't go very well. 

Christians can be extremely full of BS, I expect it. I think that altogether this is a type of troll. In terms of ruffling feathers. And it's a matter of record at this point that someone came here proclaiming beliefs which are by and large not very well thought out. That's why I said this is mid level cave stuff. Some idea that christianity isn't 100%, but not a lot of follow through on her part beyond those initial realizations. 

Let's just take YHWH as one of the most obvious examples. 

She doesn't appear to understand that "Jesus" means either "YHWH saves" or "YHWH is salvation," as a name. Or that Jesus is not Jesus but rather "yud, hey, vav, shin, ayin," rendered YHWSHO. The name of the son points directly back to the father which ever way you spin it. Or that if you trace Jesus back to YHWH, but stop there and look no deeper than you completely miss the fact that the path can lead to further connections which reveal the pagan origins of the god YHWH: 

Not understanding any of this, she has no clue what she's talking about.

YHWH and by extension, Yeshua, are the products of pagan origin and polytheistic mythology. Another problem with the bible. These are the beliefs of someone who hasn't followed through very far. It just is what it is. There's no good argument or strong evidence available for her to use to try and make a compelling argument for these beliefs. They're just personal beliefs, subjective, with little depth to back any of them up with. 

What's funny is that more than a few members here became ex christians beginning with breaking into the above mystery of YHWH. Realizing the implications. And then distancing away from christianity and the bible in general.

So when someone comes here preaching, "YHWH," apparently having no clue what it means or where it leads, what else are these people going to see it as other than someone stuck back in a dark cave of personal ignorance?

They know all too well what it's like to not understand any of this. And then to transition from not understanding it to finally understanding it. This is the very type of investigation that opened up the truth about the bible and it's god(s) to many people. This often can lead to looking into apologist's trying to excuse the problem of YHWH's pagan origins and connections. In some cases, the apologist's have concluded that YHWH is NOT gods name, in an effort to try and get away from the pagan origins problem. But of course that comes with even more problems than it solves for the apologists. There's no escaping this problem. Anyone is welcome and invited to try and solve this fundamental problem with any belief in "YHWH." 

So then, how does this fundamental problem then domino effect through the entire belief system set forward by Georgia?

Curious readers may want to think on that for a while and see what they can come up with. Does it steam roll through just about everything else, or not?

And if so, what seems like a good solution to the problem? 

• Thanks 2

I dont think we really have enough evidence to make any pronouncements about Georgia's education, her job, or her knowledge of science...yet. Science is a pretty big field, anyway.

Someone being ignorant about my favorite aspect of science does not mean that person is ignorant of all science. My favorite science thing might be sporadic E or tropospheric ducting but if you dont know what I'm talking about without googling it, I'll cut you a break. Most people dont. What does Richard Dawkins know about the Java programming language or fusion reactors? My wife can tell you all about phlebotomy, plasma, platelets, coagulation , all that nasty shit, but I bet she doesnt know what a scientific theory really means and she worked in the medical field...OMG. :)   

There are probably many different specific job positions within the mental health field that nobody here would even know about. I bet there are positions that require a degree and other positions that do not. Did Georgia say she finished her degree or just that she went to college? People, especially young people may have to start at the bottom, and work their way up. She may work in a non-degree position that still works with patients. Maybe she works in a mental hospital , or maybe a nursing home. Maybe she's an office worker. Maybe she's a patient advovate. Maybe she's a chaplain. Maybe she's an accountant. Maybe she hands out pills. Maybe she is security. She might be in access control. Maybe she's a doctor! A Christian doctor.

Lot of possibilities exist. 

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, midniterider said:

I dont think we really have enough evidence to make any pronouncements about Georgia's education, her job, or her knowledge of science...yet. Science is a pretty big field, anyway.

Here, again, no one has made any pronouncements.  Suspicions have been voiced; nothing more.  Georgia is more than welcome to address and clarify.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

The name of the son points directly back to the father which ever way you spin it. Or that if you trace Jesus back to YHWH, but stop there and look no deeper than you completely miss the fact that the path can lead to further connections which reveal the pagan origins of the god YHWH

Although we generally keep our identities private here at Ex-Christian, I hope Joshpantera won’t mind me sharing this actual footage of him taking aim at the heart of the matter... the God of the Bible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gone again??

• Super Moderator
16 hours ago, Weezer said:

Gone again??

Never really here.

She was here to talk, explain and be heard not to listen or learn.

• Super Moderator
20 hours ago, Weezer said:

Gone again??

4 hours ago, florduh said:

Never really here.

3 hours ago, DanForsman said:

Y'all got Georgia on Your Minds or something?  😎

• Haha 2

• Super Moderator
1 minute ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Y'all got Georgia on Your Minds or something?  😎

No. I'm still thinking about our mud wrestler.

• Super Moderator
23 hours ago, florduh said:

No. I'm still thinking about our mud wrestler.

It's about time for one of thumperina's bi-annual drive-bys.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 2:56 PM, DanForsman said:

Isn't that why we turn to Christianity in the first place....cause we are in need. 

1 minute ago, Edgarcito said:

Isn't that why we turn to Christianity in the first place....cause we are in need. 

I didn't turn to xtianity. I was brainwashed into it from my cradle. It certainly isn't "needing" for a great many people. What I needed was freedom to think for myself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

I don't believe I quite catch your meaning here so I can't respond.