Jump to content
Georgia

God without Religion?

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Isn't that why we turn to Christianity in the first place....cause we are in need. 

No.  Being in need and realizing god ain't gonna do dick-all about it is why we turn away from christianity.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Edgarcito said:

Isn't that why we turn to Christianity in the first place....cause we are in need. 

 

At least that is what the self fulfilling prophecy of original sin programs into us.  One of the biggest "snow jobs" in the history of the world, and gives the religious "police" a perpetual job, money, and occasionally a chance to abuse children and others.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

No.  Being in need and realizing god ain't gonna do dick-all about it is why we turn away from christianity.

That's exactly where that road took me. But guess what xtians are saying about me now - "she's bitter, she couldn't accept gods will, her ego is too large, she thinks she knows better than god, she didn't understand the message/love god had for her in giving her suffering/trials" ad nauseum. It's disgusting, the mindfuck that xtianity is. 

Bad things happen to good people. God(s) ain't got shit to do with that. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

That's exactly where that road took me. But guess what xtians are saying about me now - "she's bitter, she couldn't accept gods will, her ego is too large, she thinks she knows better than god, she didn't understand the message/love god had for her in giving her suffering/trials" ad nauseum. It's disgusting, the mindfuck that xtianity is. 

Bad things happen to good people. God(s) ain't got shit to do with that. 

I came across a fair amount of that "damned if you do; damned if you don't" mentality myself.  If it works out, it was god's will, you were obedient and faithful, and now the saints rejoice.  If it doesn't work out, you got in the way, didn't have enough faith, had hidden sin in your life.

 

Fuck that.  Now, if it works out it's because I worked my ass off to make it happen.  If it don't work out, it's because I worked my ass off to make it happen and sometimes it just don't work that way.  But I'll be god damned if I don't try again. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I came across a fair amount of that "damned if you do; damned if you don't" mentality myself.  If it works out, it was god's will, you were obedient and faithful, and now the saints rejoice.  If it doesn't work out, you got in the way, didn't have enough faith, had hidden sin in your life.

This is why I don’t bother arguing with believers. It’s just a waste of time & energy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

Isn't that why we turn to Christianity in the first place....cause we are in need. 

Yes, that's why your in need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's impossible to have a decent debate with people who subscribe to conspiracy theories. Here's a good article explaining why it doesn't work. 

https://medium.com/interfaith-now/why-your-christian-friends-and-family-members-are-so-easily-fooled-by-conspiracy-theories-5c36a835ef07

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TruthSeeker0, this is a good article. To me it's ironic that it is written by an evangelical and that the author approvingly cites people like Al Mohler and Ed Stetzer. Mohler opposed Trump in 2016 but quickly backpedaled when Trump became the darling of Mohler's own tribe. Anyway, I agree with the author, and also agree on how there are many elements of especially evangelical Christianity that promote openness to conspiracy theories. I see it in my own relatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

Isn't that why we turn to Christianity in the first place....cause we are in need. 

Sure, I could agree with this statement.  But that was only step one in my journey. After awhile, applying some critical thinking and investigation, it became clear that Christianity does nothing to meet anyone's needs. People meet people's needs. Period.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

Isn't that why we turn to Christianity in the first place....cause we are in need. 

 

It's a level playing field, Edgarcito.

 

People turn to Allah, Yahweh, the Buddha, Krishna and many other 'gods'... because they have this need.

 

The need itself doesn't point preferentially to Jesus.

 

It only indicates that some people have this need.

 

Beyond that, nothing definitive is known.

 

 

But, if you can present definitive, relevant and independently reliable evidence to say otherwise, then please do so.

 

Thank you.

 

Walter.

 

 

 

 

  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manipulative, controlling people through the ages, including parents, have found ways to program "neediness" into others, and then set themselves up as the savior.  And some parents achieve the same results without realizing what they are doing, by "overdoing" for thier children.  But that's a whole other issue.

 

God and the original sin concept takes the cake for master manipulation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weezer said:

Manipulative, controlling people through the ages, including parents, have found ways to program "neediness" into others, and then set themselves up as the savior.  And some parents achieve the same results without realizing what they are doing, by "overdoing" for thier children.  But that's a whole other issue.

 

God and the original sin concept takes the cake for master manipulation.

Why does the xtian god need to be needed? 

 

It all comes back to, invented by humans, for humans, to control humans. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ficino said:

TruthSeeker0, this is a good article. To me it's ironic that it is written by an evangelical and that the author approvingly cites people like Al Mohler and Ed Stetzer. Mohler opposed Trump in 2016 but quickly backpedaled when Trump became the darling of Mohler's own tribe. Anyway, I agree with the author, and also agree on how there are many elements of especially evangelical Christianity that promote openness to conspiracy theories. I see it in my own relatives.

I don't engage with conspiracy theorists in person, it's pointless, but I will share articles like this on social media and don't happen to care if xtian family or friends take offence. One must live with the realization that you cannot go without activating their martyr complex, it's bound to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DanForsman said:

I don't believe I quite catch your meaning here so I can't respond.

It seemed to me you were saying she was a little selfish in her response.  Just saying that people who are "troubled/lost/whatever", the church typically responds with attention and love (their version).....so it takes a while for that person to become the giver and not the taker.  Perhaps Georgia was still in the taking mode.  Thx. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

No.  Being in need and realizing god ain't gonna do dick-all about it is why we turn away from christianity.

So you joined a forum for another form of support...got it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

That's exactly where that road took me. But guess what xtians are saying about me now - "she's bitter, she couldn't accept gods will, her ego is too large, she thinks she knows better than god, she didn't understand the message/love god had for her in giving her suffering/trials" ad nauseum. It's disgusting, the mindfuck that xtianity is. 

Bad things happen to good people. God(s) ain't got shit to do with that. 

Well, IMHO, and it's me to call the kettle black, but you still seem rather pissed most often....if not always....js

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Weezer said:

Manipulative, controlling people through the ages, including parents, have found ways to program "neediness" into others, and then set themselves up as the savior.  And some parents achieve the same results without realizing what they are doing, by "overdoing" for thier children.  But that's a whole other issue.

 

God and the original sin concept takes the cake for master manipulation.

Look, real world daily shit goes on....even between two people that have given their dying oath to support one another.  WHAT SIR, are we to classify this shortcoming AS?  I can't perfectly tell you what you need in life, or on a daily basis....or hourly, or the next few seconds....what would be best for Weezer.  Nor can you for me.  So we have faith. and faith in that we are doing is the right thing for one another.  There is AMPLE evidence for this.  That you don't see the match to sin as giving Christianity/original sin any credibility is your choice...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Why does the xtian god need to be needed? 

 

It all comes back to, invented by humans, for humans, to control humans. 

Then why is the problem(s) not fixed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

So you joined a forum for another form of support...got it.

I joined to offer support to those struggling.

 

Why did you join?

 

Twice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I joined to offer support to those struggling.

 

Why did you join?

 

Twice?

I get stressed with work, relationships, etc... and come here to debate with y'all.  Relieves my stress...  I actually like the people here....honest, intelligent, nice.  We just disagree most of the time and I know I'm right and don't mind pointing out the obvious and arrogance amidst the masses here.

 

Edit:  but to your point, yes, I am in need as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

I get stressed with work, relationships, etc... and come here to debate with y'all.  Relieves my stress...  I actually like the people here....honest, intelligent, nice.  We just disagree most of the time and I know I'm right and don't mind pointing out the obvious and arrogance amidst the masses here.

 

Edit:  but to your point, yes, I am in need as well. 

 

We know you're right, too. We just like helping you sharpen your debate skills. 😈

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, florduh said:

 

We know you're right, too. We just like helping you sharpen your debate skills. 😈

Lol..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Edgarcito said:

I know I'm right ... arrogance

'Nuff said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.