Goodbye Jesus

God without Religion?

Georgia

1 hour ago, WalterP said:

You are missing the point, Edgarcito.

Regardless of whether the units we have are entirely arbitrary, derived from something or set in stone, you abide by them in your work and in everything you do in your life.

And if you abide by them outside of this forum, why won't you abide by them inside this forum?

That's the elephant in the room.

Why won't you?

The larger picture is the units are subject to the universe.  Some how you have imposed that I am subject to the units.  Perhaps within the community that utilizes the units, but that's ultimately not the conversation at hand.  The point is that we are still subject to the universe, subject to more potential discovery, more potential constants, or knowledge thereof.  Which is my point about science and evidence.....it's incomplete.  And rightly we should not be belittling people because they don't conclude, as do you.  Who knows, the E3 constant may be out there somewhere....my own f'n unit Walter.  thanks.

5 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

The larger picture is the units are subject to the universe.  Some how you have imposed that I am subject to the units.  Perhaps within the community that utilizes the units, but that's ultimately not the conversation at hand.  The point is that we are still subject to the universe, subject to more potential discovery, more potential constants, or knowledge thereof.  Which is my point about science and evidence.....it's incomplete.  And rightly we should not be belittling people because they don't conclude, as do you.  Who knows, the E3 constant may be out there somewhere....my own f'n unit Walter.  thanks.

No, Edgarcito. I haven't imposed anything upon you.  

My argument is that in your work and in your life you use the same units as other people do and that you do this by conscious and deliberate agreement.

But it looks like you want to deny and dispute that.

So, I'll just go ahead and ask you for direct answers to these direct questions.

1. In your life and in your work, do you use the same units as other people do?

2. Do you do this by conscious and deliberate agreement?

Thank you.

Walter.

• Super Moderator

Damn them goalposts!  Why the hell won't they stay still?!?

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Damn them goalposts!  Why the hell won't they stay still?!?

Hmmm....

Edgarcito wants them as w---i---d---e as the entire universe.

I only want them as wide as his part of west Texas.

This wide...

west Texas TF.... a small city, 100K folks....on the edge of the desert essentially that is far west Texas.  Our natural trees reach ten to 30 feet where 100 miles west of here, they are 3 to 6 feet.  We have a historic cavalry fort, Ft. Concho, that is part of our claim to fame.  Big beer country.

;)

pssshaw... y’all want the goalposts as narrow as possible so that you might have control and security....  just a new religion 

1 hour ago, Edgarcito said:

pssshaw... y’all want the goalposts as narrow as possible so that you might have control and security....  just a new religion 

Control and security 😂 my if that ain't xtianity right there in a nutshell. 

8 hours ago, SarahJaneSmith said:

I’ve been fascinated following along here but also so flipping confused! 😂

Don't try to understand it. Just make up a large bowl of popcorn and enjoy the ride. B)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

Not so.

The Moderators want the goalposts of this forum to be as wide as the ones successfully used in law and in science to manage and control subjectivity.

That's why this thread now exists.

To let visiting Christians and other believers that they can expect to find these entirely reasonable goalposts in this forum.

But, putting that aside now Edgarcito, lets return to these questions.

Thank you.

Walter.

5 hours ago, WalterP said:

Not so.

The Moderators want the goalposts of this forum to be as wide as the ones successfully used in law and in science to manage and control subjectivity.

That's why this thread now exists.

To let visiting Christians and other believers that they can expect to find these entirely reasonable goalposts in this forum.

But, putting that aside now Edgarcito, lets return to these questions.

Thank you.

Walter.

This is really kind of humorous Walter.  The mods here at EX C want to "control subjectivity". No more dimensionless fundamental physical constants, no more new means of measuring.  Our alphabet at Ex C goes from L to P.  Sometimes we go back to G and all the way to S, but goddamn sure not to B to Y.  Heavens Walter, if we used/understood the entire alphabet, we might understand subjectivity, might understand PEOPLE.  Stop the insanity sir.  By all means, in my job I limit myself from L to P.  I deliberately agree this is the best for the application at hand.....

You're not rich Walter, you're poor.  I'm really sorry you standing where you do.  Truthfully.

You ever think Walter, that is why God sent Jesus...a form we might identify with, so that we might understand? 

• Super Moderator
25 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

The mods here at EX C want to "control subjectivity".

Come on, Ed. Threads get closed after pages of repetition and lack of meaningful dialog or progress. On very rare occasions a thread is closed or a member booted due to offensive behavior. Anyone at all is free to post whatever bullshit they want, but the cries of "censorship" and "oppression" come immediately after someone challenges an unfounded assertion or incorrect facts. As a moderator I openly confess I have no interest in controlling shit, but I will enforce the house rules when necessary.

So state your assertions and back them up with universally accepted evidence or proof of some kind. You're here to argue, right? :spanka:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, florduh said:

Come on, Ed. Threads get closed after pages of repetition and lack of meaningful dialog or progress. On very rare occasions a thread is closed or a member booted due to offensive behavior. Anyone at all is free to post whatever bullshit they want, but the cries of "censorship" and "oppression" come immediately after someone challenges an unfounded assertion or incorrect facts. As a moderator I openly confess I have no interest in controlling shit, but I will enforce the house rules when necessary.

So state your assertions and back them up with universally accepted evidence or proof of some kind. You're here to argue, right? :spanka:

That was his claim...(see said post).  Good lord, I know y'all are accepting....have accepted me even....which is a lot.  And for the record, I can't explain dimensionless universal physical constants.  No collider in the back yard. 

For real discussion, we need open minds.  Like the motivation of God to send a form we might understand.  This questions will be rejected whole heartedly because "you have no physical evidence that Jesus existed".  End of conversation.  See how this works.  Granted it's your playground....I get that.  Thanks C.

• Super Moderator
21 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

For real discussion, we need open minds.  Like the motivation of God to send a form we might understand.  This questions will be rejected whole heartedly because "you have no physical evidence that Jesus existed".  End of conversation.  See how this works.  Granted it's your playground....I get that.  Thanks C

"Keep an open mind, but not so far open your brains fall out."

This is not "our playground" with special, exclusive rules. This is just a part of the real world where logic and evidence are just normal business.

You assert that the Bible God sent us a physical form we could relate to, presumably Jesus. I do not reject that assertion simply because I have no physical evidence such as his fingerprints or DNA. It is not supported by historians or any other source than the writings accepted for the New Testament, which most of humanity does not subscribe to. To believe that bit of mythology is actual fact requires ignoring evidence to the contrary in addition to ignoring that there is no evidence for it's veracity.

• Thanks 1

Ok, so let's look at some of this from an analytical standpoint.  There are phrases in the Bible like "I am the Alpha and the Omega".  As I said before...these are things that go through my mind with RESPECT to the scientific community.  You ever notice that man is enamored with finding this elusive Alpha and Omega....a theory that  explains everything....from the very small elementary particles and the rise of matter to reality to infinitely beyond our ability to see? 

Then again, from an analytical standard....God being a pure substance...."God is Love".  How are we going to understand this pure external standard of Love????  Then the OT is full of actions and deeds of a God that is this absolute, yet we can't understand the actions on a people because we don't have an understanding of the pure substance Love...an absolute.  Be with me in a form of absolute.  Can we fathom this?  So there is an example of comparing humanity to an external standard. 

So then remarkably, Jesus, an internal standard, so that we might understand or our lives be a ratio to this external absolute through Jesus.  Then, can we not understand that Christ's actions ARE the representation of the Absolute to a life as a human, in word and in deed?

I'm just a stupid redneck, but if you can't honestly ask yourselves these questions, then I don't really want to visit with you anyhow....other than the possibility that you might one day endeavor. 

I'm gonna rest from Walter's bullshit....thanks.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Edgarcito said:

This is really kind of humorous Walter.  The mods here at EX C want to "control subjectivity". No more dimensionless fundamental physical constants, no more new means of measuring.  Our alphabet at Ex C goes from L to P.  Sometimes we go back to G and all the way to S, but goddamn sure not to B to Y.  Heavens Walter, if we used/understood the entire alphabet, we might understand subjectivity, might understand PEOPLE.  Stop the insanity sir.  By all means, in my job I limit myself from L to P.  I deliberately agree this is the best for the application at hand.....

You're not rich Walter, you're poor.  I'm really sorry you standing where you do.  Truthfully.

If the idea of controlling subjectivity is insanity to you, Edgarcito...

Then there can't really be much point in you trying to remove it in your work, can there?

Which is what you said you do for 60 hours a week.

I understand that you are saying science is used to remove the subjectivity.  I do this about 10 hours a day, six days a week......got that part. 

Outside of Ex-C, perhaps you should quit your job now, telling your employers that, because your human subjectivity can never be compensated for, everything you do for them is useless?

Inside of Ex-C, perhaps if you once again accused me of being condescending to you, that might help to cover up the fact that you've contradicted yourself?

How's your conscience, btw?

Walter.

1 hour ago, WalterP said:

If the idea of controlling subjectivity is insanity to you, Edgarcito...

Then there can't really be much point in you trying to remove it in your work, can there?

Which is what you said you do for 60 hours a week.

I understand that you are saying science is used to remove the subjectivity.  I do this about 10 hours a day, six days a week......got that part. 

Outside of Ex-C, perhaps you should quit your job now, telling your employers that, because your human subjectivity can never be compensated for, everything you do for them is useless?

Inside of Ex-C, perhaps if you once again accused me of being condescending to you, that might help to cover up the fact that you've contradicted yourself?

How's your conscience, btw?

Walter.

I don’t know what to tell you... we are not communicating.  I do limit my subjectivity in my lab.  Limited gasses, limited interactions... but I’m not trying to find / discern God!  You seemingly wish to limit perspectives by limiting inquiry.  I’m starting to think you are not really stubborn, just you don’t understand.

• Super Moderator

Ed, how might you respond to someone who posted his sincere belief in Xenu and the wisdom and efficacy of L. Ron Hubbard? Would you ask for evidence supporting that claim? Would you say the goalposts are too narrow because they exclude Xenu? Dammit, people! I bet you won't even open your minds to the possibility of Xenu!

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

I don’t know what to tell you... we are not communicating.  I do limit my subjectivity in my lab.  Limited gasses, limited interactions... but I’m not trying to find / discern God!  You seemingly wish to limit perspectives by limiting inquiry.  I’m starting to think you are not really stubborn, just you don’t understand.

Edgarcito,

Once again you've got the wrong end of the stick.

Three times now I've explained to you, with quotes, that I, WalterP, an ordinary member of this forum, have no right or authority to limit inquiry in this forum.

For your benefit, I'll try and explain again what is actually happening.

You can believe anything you like, but when you submit evidence to support your beliefs, your evidence will be considered persuasive by us only if it falls within certain parameters.

So we are limiting our belief, not yours.

Do you see that now?

Thank you.

Walter. 

• Super Moderator

These are the things that go through my mind with RESPECT to science: the Dharma teaches karma; science demonstrates that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  Science, therefore, proves Buddhism.

Suck it, you disgrace to rednecks everywhere.  😁

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

These are the things that go through my mind with RESPECT to science: the Dharma teaches karma; science demonstrates that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  Science, therefore, proves Buddhism.

Suck it, you disgrace to rednecks everywhere.  😁

< jumps off tailgate, hangs head, out of beer>

• Super Moderator
26 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

See, @WalterP, that's how it's done!  😎

36 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

9 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

See, @WalterP, that's how it's done!  😎

"....I dun told you once you son of a bitch, I'm the best there's ever been!!!" 

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2020 at 10:34 PM, older said:

Don't try to understand it. Just make up a large bowl of popcorn and enjoy the ride. B)

For me it is past being downright ridiculous and boring.  I'm out of here. 

9 minutes ago, Weezer said:

For me it is past being downright ridiculous and boring.  I'm out of here. 

Dammit, we have been handed our hats...

Once a person has accepted what they believe to be real, that belief will be as real to them as anything tangible in this universe. Of course Jesus and his invisible kingdom is real to many Christian's, because the belief itself has taken entitlement over their normal sensory functions. It constantly feeds the person incorrect information  (As viruses do) that it may gain full control over the host's brain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1