Goodbye Jesus

You don't want to know

AntiChrist

Do you get tired of being asked "How are you?" When you are making a purchase at a retail outlet. It seems that I am stuck with one answer, and It's not like I am going to say "Evil thanks!" I have tried (Okay) (Fine) (Alright) but that is still a positive response, which is technically saying "Good"

But what if you're not feeling good, how would you reply to the sale's rep? Go on tell them how you really feel today, see if they really care to know how you really are.

I once heard about these meaningless exchanges in the context of a reception line. Folks staggering along, shaking hands and saying similar things. So one joker decided to spice things up by answering, "I just killed my mother-in-law." And the folks in the line smiled, nodded and meandered along.

Years ago we had a terrific secretary in our department. She is the one who ran the damn place. But we learned never to ask her your question, because if you did, she would tell you. And you'd be in for what we called an "organ recital."

9 minutes ago, older said:

I once heard about these meaningless exchanges in the context of a reception line. Folks staggering along, shaking hands and saying similar things. So one joker decided to spice things up by answering, "I just killed my mother-in-law." And the folks in the line smiled, nodded and meandered along.

Years ago we had a terrific secretary in our department. She is the one who ran the damn place. But we learned never to ask her your question, because if you did, she would tell you. And you'd be in for what we called an "organ recital."

What's a organ recital?

1 minute ago, AntiChrist said:

What's a organ recital?

She recited all the problems with her various organs.

15 minutes ago, older said:

She recited all the problems with her various organs.

I get it now.

41 minutes ago, AntiChrist said:

Do you get tired of being asked "How are you?" When you are making a purchase at a retail outlet. It seems that I am stuck with one answer, and It's not like I am going to say "Evil thanks!" I have tried (Okay) (Fine) (Alright) but that is still a positive response, which is technically saying "Good"

But what if you're not feeling good, how would you reply to the sale's rep? Go on tell them how you really feel today, see if they really care to know how you really are.

It is a standard English speaking greeting that will continue on to eternity. I use it as a chance to be creative and make someone laugh. 

Dad's reply used to be, "You dont have time to listen to all my troubles...." 

You might try, "Except for this pandemic that could destroy all life as we know it....I'm pretty goddamn good!" :)

"I'll let ya know how I'm doing after you swipe my credit card thru the reader...."

• Haha 1

On occasion when things aren't going well, I have replied, "well, I've had better days."  The reply back is usually a bland, "sorry."  But I prefer that to a flat affect and no communication, which is occasionally happening.

I usually say, "I don't know. I haven't had time to check."

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

On occasion when things aren't going well, I have replied, "well, I've had better days."  The reply back is usually a bland, "sorry."  But I prefer that to a flat affect and no communication, which is occasionally happening.

How about. "No speek'a en-glish"

1 hour ago, older said:

I usually say, "I don't know. I haven't had time to check."

You and I would get along really well.

• Super Moderator

I sometimes inform people that in a world filled with wars, pestilence, and famine, we're not going to make much of a difference talking about our feelings.  But usually, I just say, "Fair to middling."

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

But usually, I just say, "Fair to middling."

HA! You must be from the south.  So am I.  And when someone gets mad about something, we ask, "who put a burr under their saddle?"

I default to "average", if they ask for clarification I say "I've been better, I've been worse, so I'm average". 

I usually reply that I've been better and get a sympathetic look in response. 

Here in Newfoundland (Canada's easternmost province) we have a thick accent related, I believe, to dialects in southern England. A standard greeting here is "Whaddaya at?" (in plain English, "what are you up to today"). My usual answer is "Nothing any good". In my thick Newfie accent, of course 😛