Is anyone else amazed at how clear their mind is since deconverting? 

When I was a Christian, I was always praying in my head, apologizing to God for thoughts that weren't Christ-like, remembering scriptures...It was exhausting!

Ever since I quit believing in God, I feel so much better! Anyone else experience this?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Yup. While I never drank the Kool-Aid it was a freeing moment when I realized I was an atheist. No more hedging of the bets.

• Like 2

It took me a while after realizing I was an atheist to reach the clarity you speak of, but in the years since, yes the mind is less cluttered with negative stuff.

• Like 3

I found a stillness of mind from the moment I rejected christianity.  Clarity of thought has been a different story for me, though.  Indoctrination from childhood produced a number of defective thinking patterns and I think it will probably take the rest of my life to overcome them.  

• Like 4

My clarity of thought, I hope, was most often prevalent.

I no longer feel guilty for that. I am now free to judge my own thoughts based on what I myself deem reasonable based on what I read, study, decide.

• Like 2

Absolutely, yes!

Letting go of religious dogma, where so many details of life are dictated, and instead only accepting ideas that make sense to me, was like spring-cleaning my mind.  A lot of clutter removed.  No more trying to reconcile scripture with reality.  Opening up my mind to pre-Christian and non-Christian philosophies to see how to live a better life.  What’s not to love about this?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, FreeFromGuilt said:

When I was a Christian, I was always praying in my head, apologizing to God for thoughts that weren't Christ-like, remembering scriptures...It was exhausting!

Ever since I quit believing in God, I feel so much better! Anyone else experience this?

Yep.

Quitting Jesus was the hardest thing I have ever done. Now my mind can breath easy.

Unfortunately I didn't get clarity for some number of years. Because I stopped believing my freshman year while off at christian boarding school. I had to constantly second guess myself because I was literally surrounding by peers and administration thinking that I was an idiot and that I had it completely wrong. Was I wrong? I had to ponder that question over and over again for years before intellectually understanding how correct I had been the entire time based on gut instinct alone. 

But yes, some ten years into it I began to reach tremendous clarity which continued on every since.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely! I would talk about wanting “the peace that passes all understanding” and the irony is it took leaving christianity to find it! I still deal with anxiety but it doesn’t come with the religious baggage it did before. It’s no longer something I need to hide in order to avoid getting completely unhelpful (and usually out of context!) bible verses to either tell me to not be anxious or to tell me I’m sinning or not trusting god enough. 

• Like 3

I must admit the FREEDOM from all those "talks with God about everything" all day long is refreshing as heck. I'm still in the process of deconversion, in my 9th year if you can believe that, but I'm closer than ever. I have always seen others as savable, I have always wondered about the good people I met who didn't believe, it really bothered me that they were going to hell forever so I would pray for everybody on the street. I truly think that type of Christianity can make you freakin' sick both in body and in the head. So yes, I understand what you are talking about and it feels GRRRRRREat. Keep up the good work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/29/2020 at 1:10 PM, FreeFromGuilt said:

I know exactly what you mean, everyone who leaves the shackles of Christianity does :)

Yep.  I can't explain it any other way except as a religious OCD.

mwc

On 4/28/2020 at 10:10 PM, FreeFromGuilt said:

Yes and no. I feel a lot better because the world makes so much more sense. I feel better because I’m better able to see how people really are and to empathize with them. But I live in a world that’s still obsessed with Christianity, where my wife is terrified that people might find out I’m a non-believer, where I have to have a “don’t ask, don’t tell” relationship with one of my adult children, and that keeps me coming back here and reading Patheos Nonreligious all of the time. If I were okay, I wouldn’t bother with those things. The conflict in my mind over having to (minimally) pretend is stressful. These last 12-or-so weeks of not having to be at church due to the pandemic have been great!

• Like 1

@Lerk if you are a non-believer why do you still attend church? That would be really hard for me. I'm thankful my husband deconverted at the same time as me

33 minutes ago, FreeFromGuilt said:

@Lerk if you are a non-believer why do you still attend church? That would be really hard for me. I'm thankful my husband deconverted at the same time as me

Yes, pretending you're something you're not is unfair to all parties concerned. Being honest lifts the last burden that religion placed on you. 

On 4/28/2020 at 8:10 PM, FreeFromGuilt said:

Getting sick of apologizing to God for non Christ-like thoughts was the final straw in my deconversion. Yes, it was freeing.

• Like 1