Goodbye Jesus

How Has COVID19 Effected Your Life

Guest freedwoman

Guest freedwoman

I wear a mask and gloves whenever I go out. 

Less customers to the gas station gratefully.

I can't go out and have fun. It's all about business. Paying rent, bills, buying food, medical appointments. 

Lots of television and Netflix binging. 

Writing like crazy.

Cleaning and sanitizing all the time. Longer showers.

Eating healthy and taking health suppliments. 

Anyway. How about you all? 

Well, Mrs. Older and I are homebodies and retired so we haven't been as affected as some folks. I miss my weekly hiking group and the astronomy club but worst of all is not being able to play with the little grandkids on the other side of town. We're a very huggy family and not having the little kids climbing all over me is painful. Their second oldest brother is working at a take-out snack stand whose owner isn't taking the virus seriously, so he has more exposure than I am comfortable with. Also, the oldest bro and new wife come to the little kids' house to visit and we have no way of knowing where they have been.  And they're hugging the little ones and taking them to their house.  Because of all that plus our age and underlying conditions we can't have the little kids over. But we're getting tested tomorrow and we're hoping that the really sucky illness that all of us had at the beginning of March was the virus, in which case the little kids will be here for an overnight.

Mrs. Older had a cleaning seizure last week and took everything out of the spare closet, dusted it off and put it all back. Of course, I had to take my stuff out too. (But it did motivate me to repair the toy firetruck that I got when I was five years old.) Now Mrs. Older is going over her 36 photo albums and rearranging the photos. And she's dragging me into it by insisting that I toss dozens of snapshots of my ancestors because she has similars in the albums. So I have to look at the pix and decide if any of our progeny would ever want them.

We've only been to town perhaps eight times since this began but I do notice the reduction in traffic and that the drivers seem more mellow than before. Folks in the stores also seem to be more laid back. Today was a little busier, though, and I think folks are beginning to venture out again. I am going to have to go to Lowe's at some point to get material to fix the south fence, and I'm not looking forward to that. The last time I was there at least half the customers and workers were not masked. And, sheesh! I went to the doc's today for one of my regular injections and there were a couple of people who showed up at the medical complex without masks. You know, I.Q. can be measured in negative numbers. But a nurse at the door was checking folks and giving out masks to the morons.

Today's news reports progress on a vaccine and some treatment possibilities that are actually backed up by real science, so let's all be optimistic. Stay well. This will end.

• Like 1

I’m going stir-crazy. Our lockdown’s been extended through the end of May. I’ve started walking outside so that’s been good. We’re safe & healthy so that’s good. My mom’s getting into even more bizarre conspiracy theories than before and this is the first time in a long time I’ve been super grateful I don’t live near her. 

• Sad 2

Not too much change with the exception of working each day from home instead of 3~4 and one or two at the office.

Mrs. MOHO goes to the store by herself so as to remove one more person from potential crowding.

House is clean and orderly but we never let it get too out of order in the first place.

We used to go out to lunch or dinner once/week but no more.

Mrs. MOHO is a veritable mask factory.

On the topic of conspiracy theory and jesus-freak videos that @SarahJaneSmith spoke of - Mrs. MOHO is doing more of those too but part of that is that she is retired now. I frequently catch her with a pondering look on her face as if she might be seeing that crap for the "keep them in the fold" propaganda that it is. One can hope...

NEXT >>>

• Like 1

@MOHO, I bet retirement’s part of it with my mom, too. She’s still navigating retirement so it makes sense why it seems like she’s falling for more and more BS. 😕

• Super Moderator
9 minutes ago, SarahJaneSmith said:

@MOHO, I bet retirement’s part of it with my mom, too. She’s still navigating retirement so it makes sense why it seems like she’s falling for more and more BS. 😕

I retired almost 10 years ago and I don't think I'm getting any dumber. 😛

• Haha 4

• Admin

FB_IMG_1588373595001.jpg

My life hasn't changed much, except my car now gets three weeks to the gallon.  😉

On 5/1/2020 at 7:56 PM, webmdave said:

FB_IMG_1588373595001.jpg

:yelrotflmao: OMG Dave I was just going to write this out!! It's perfect for me. All my customers are gone right now and I don't miss them one bit. I love them, but I don't miss them. I've had 45 years of socializing and I could care less if I ever seen any of them. But I love them. (Still feeling guilty after all these years for feeling this way ;)) So quarinteening for me  has been such a nice break.... no people, no lipstick, daytime housedress and nighttime P'J's.....no bra for the last 6 weeks! Going for walks everyday with no traffic to fight, getting a few things done around the ole' shack, researching Covid19, sleeping in till I want (normally 8-8:30) but that's real late for me! It's wonderful! I'm tired of working and socializing. I love my own company. Lol 

I'm terribly sorry for all those who lost someone and I am so grateful to still be here.... but we are still not out of the woods (and probably won't be for awhile) but I am feeling a bit more optimistic today as they are starting to lift some of our restrictions and that makes me so happy today. But I still don't want to see anyone........Lmao!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Margee said:

I'm terribly sorry for all those who lost someone and I am so grateful to still be here.... but we are still not out of the woods (and probably won't be for awhile) but I am feeling a bit more optimistic today as they are starting to lift some of our restrictions and that makes me so happy today. But I still don't want to see anyone........Lmao!! 

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

My best to you and yours... 😷

I'm an RN. I feel like a leper. I'm an introvert, but I find myself wanting a damn hug. I'm trying not to feel sorry for myself, but. . . .plain and simple. . . . I'm depressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Admin
1 hour ago, freshstart said:

I'm an RN. I feel like a leper. I'm an introvert, but I find myself wanting a damn hug. I'm trying not to feel sorry for myself, but. . . .plain and simple. . . . I'm depressed.

Thank you.

1588383806437_1588383802252_0_Capture+_2020-05-01-21-42-41.png

2 hours ago, freshstart said:

We can't do it in person but here's a cyber hug for you:  ((   ))

There is no way anyone outside of healthcare could understand what you and your colleagues are going through, but you are appreciated. Most of the images, still and video, we see are of talking heads — we're not getting the tough stuff that should be seen by some folks who don't understand the severity of this.

Here's something I've posted on this site before that I've found useful in times of stress. Perhaps you'll also find it helpful:

Start where you are.

Use what you have.

Do what you can.

— Arthur Ashe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the kind sentiments. I'm embarrassed to say I had one too many a drink before my last post. Things are actually winding down in my neck of the woods (for now). . . .Its my grandchild, in particular, that I miss seeing and holding. But I consider myself lucky.  Others have a lot more to worry about.

I guess the good news is there's a lot less attention on "thoughts and prayers," and much more focus on the science.

Stay well everyone!

• Like 5

I love working from home. I used to travel over an hour each way on the train, so getting that time back and saving travel costs has been great. No walking in the rain, no frustration at bus/train services and a more relaxed work atmosphere. I can get more hours of work done and still have more time with the kids. The company saves money so its a win/win. 

We provide support for the supermarket chains, so are considered an essential service. Means my work hasn't really changed from the lockdown. 

I'm dreading lockdown ending cos they may demand I go back to the office. 

My life hasn't changed that much due to the pandemic. The main differences are that my monthly freethinker meetups have been cancelled and I wear a mask when getting groceries, and we weren't able to go out to eat for my daughter's birthday (though we got carry-out). Most of the rest of my time is usually spent between work and home, and since my job is considered essential, that balance hasn't changed. It would be nice to be able to telework, but there's no way to do that with my job, so I'm still going in. I do have to wear a mask when working within close proximity with others, but thankfully the vast majority of my time at work meets the social distancing guidelines.

My daughter is the only one really affected by it in our family. She had just started a new job at a daycare and only worked a week or two before the shutdown, and now she's been out of work since then. The daycare was only closed a few days before being allowed to reopen, but their enrollment is down because of the shutdown, so they need fewer workers, so with our daughter being a newbie, she's out of work. She's also one who always wants to go somewhere or have friends over, so she really hasn't liked the situation.

I only know one person personally who has gotten COVID-19. It's a guy from my former church back where I used to live. He's been in the hospital for a month and damn near died a couple weeks ago. One day the doctors were pretty sure he wouldn't make it through the night, but they started some experimental treatment and he managed to pull through. He's still not back to normal, though. He was just transferred to their local hospital for rehab a few days ago. I haven't seen him for years, but it was still great to know that he survived and is improving, even though it's a long process.

Of course, the family is insisting that his survival is a miracle. Isn't it strange how god has become so weak in his old age that he needs medical intervention by trained doctors at an expensive facility in order to perform a "miracle"? The family knows damn well that without medical treatment he would've died, yet they insist that "gawd dun it." Oh well, I'm still happy for them that he's on the mend, which is the most important thing.

• Like 1

Guest freedwoman

Older, I hope you and your wife are okay.

Freshstart, Thank you for taking care of people. The world needs more good people like you in it.

Citsonga, I hope that individual is doing better now.

Thank you for your replies everyone.

☺️👍✌️

Thanks, Freedwoman. We're fine. The hardest part is not getting to hug the grandkids. But the meme posted above does otherwise apply to us.

• Sad 1

Oh yeah, there is one other thing. We came dangerously close to running out of toilet paper when I couldn't find any for a whole month. I was about ready to order some online when I was finally able to get some. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Citsonga said:

Of course, the family is insisting that his survival is a miracle.

If god was looking out for you, wouldn't you expect to not catch it in the first place? God seems a bit of a dick, gives you a crippling illness, horrible accident or injury, then claims to be a good guy for returning a portion of your previous quality of life. Maybe its a miracle that He didn't kill you like He did to so many others? Thanks psycho for picking a different target! 

• Like 5

I like to pretend it's the 1970s and do a bunch of stuff around the house. BBQ, fix things, do lots of experiments, learn about basic physics and engineering (though YouTube didn't exist back then), listen to music. Oddly, I haven't been singing, and a LOT of my singer friends are the same way. Without instrumentalists, it just isn't the same. We all used to gig continuously at local food spots.

At work lately (I'm one of those essentials that keep systems running for the local government), I've been able to drive out to the county parks and enjoy the birds singing, wind in the trees, just general nature breaks that are so nourishing to my "soul". I live next door to two airports, a highway, and a river with barges. Noise, engines, honks, shrieking motorcycles, subwoofers (although a surprising number of people also drive to the parks with subwoofers blaring. What the actual fuck?) Some days work is really difficult because there is nothing to do, but I have to be there in order to get the paycheck. It can get mind numbing. Other days I have to go into the jail, and have to wear a good medical mask and gloves, get my temp taken to even enter, and work where the inmates come and go. They let a ton of them go just to reduce the likelyhood of who might have it and spread it. I don't understand locking down beaches and parks, if people keep distance. Families that live together shouldn't have to separate in a park, that makes no sense. They haven't done that to us here, so I see families out in the sun together. 

I like the lack of traffic on the roads. It seemed like everyone was moving to Portland in the last few years. All the hotspots for eating and booze are closed. Distilleries are making ethanol for hand sanitizer now, and selling booze on the side. 

We are paranoid about sanitizing our groceries when we get home, and try to shop once a week when things get in short supply. Trying to reduce any infection vectors since this one plays for keeps. 

• Like 1

I work in healthcare in a behind-the-scenes capacity (no contact with patients) and am still going to the office.  Got fed up with the bus schedules being cut back, so for the past couple of weeks I've been walking to work and back again.

My usual after-work activities have all been disrupted. No band rehearsals, no in-person astronomy gatherings or clarinet lessons or writer's group -- but we've managed to set up Zoom or Discord meetings to keep everyone in touch.  (Alas, there isn't enough Internet speed or bandwidth to allow for virtual band practice.  The lag time for forty people playing simultaneously would just result in cacophony.)

Spending a lot less money because most stores are closed and restaurants are all take-out/delivery rather than eat-in.  I do miss not being able to hang out in coffee shops, though.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

It hasn't affected my life at all, other than this fever, massive headache, and constant muscle pain.

• Haha 2

• Super Moderator

On a serious note, though, it has brought my country closer to a civil war than we have ever been since the actual Civil War. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

On a serious note, though, it has brought my country closer to a civil war than we have ever been since the actual Civil War. 

THAT is no lie, sir!