Jump to content
Guest freedwoman

Genetic Engineering

Recommended Posts

Guest freedwoman

For or against? Why are you for or against it?

 

I'm for it. To be honest I'd like it done to me to make me a superhuman! No weaknesses. 💪👊🧠 😋

 

Plus it would at least in theory help turn off bad genes so people could be born healthier. May even help with illnesses or disabilities later in life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it works for crops. People go crazy every time there's a new technology. They embrace conspiracy theories about possible abuses and agendas of "those people." People who know nothing and want to know nothing of the science get all whacked out over GMOs, 5G, vaccines and stem cells. There are people who still think fluoride is a Communist plot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, florduh said:

Well, it works for crops.

Yes and no. Monsanto is the big gorilla and they are suing organic farmers whose crops were cross-pollinated by Monsanto GMOs. The farmers claim they do not use Monsanto seed but Monsanto has the resources to put the little guys out of business for something that is not their fault.

 

Here is a significant paragraph from the story:

 

In fact, in Feb. 2005 the Runyons received a letter from Monsanto, citing "an agreement" with the Indiana Department of Agriculture giving it the right to come on their land and test for seed contamination.

Only one problem: The Indiana Department of Agriculture didn't exist until two months after that letter was sent. What does that say to you?

 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/agricultural-giant-battles-small-farmers/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, older said:

Yes and no. Monsanto is the big gorilla and they are suing organic farmers whose crops were cross-pollinated by Monsanto GMOs. The farmers claim they do not use Monsanto seed but Monsanto has the resources to put the little guys out of business for something that is not their fault.

 

Here is a significant paragraph from the story:

 

In fact, in Feb. 2005 the Runyons received a letter from Monsanto, citing "an agreement" with the Indiana Department of Agriculture giving it the right to come on their land and test for seed contamination.

Only one problem: The Indiana Department of Agriculture didn't exist until two months after that letter was sent. What does that say to you?

 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/agricultural-giant-battles-small-farmers/

I only said the science works. I didn't comment on predatory capitalist interests abusing their power. Monsanto's behavior is typical in every area of American industry, not just GMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 8:58 PM, freedwoman said:

For or against? Why are you for or against it?

 

I'm for it. To be honest I'd like it done to me to make me a superhuman! No weaknesses. 💪👊🧠😋

 

Plus it would at least in theory help turn off bad genes so people could be born healthier. May even help with illnesses or disabilities later in life. 

 

Yes, I'm for it also. The main purpose for genetic engineering in today's world is to treat or cure genetic diseases,  and secondly to add desirable genetic traits to both plants and animals. This can be done be genetic transplants, the most well-known process of which is called Crispr gene transplants, as gene therapy and gene editing. It's a kind of cut and paste process. Cut out an unwanted gene and paste in a new one that performs the desired task. The process is accomplished by bacteria and viruses designed for the task.

 

A gene is a. region of DNA that encodes function in a plant or animal. Chromosomes are made up of long strands of DNA consisting of many genes. The human chromosome, for instance, has about 500 million base pairs of DNA consisting of thousands of genes.

 

Crispr technology enables editing the DNA of both plants and animals (including humans) to bring about desired changes. Crispr is the primary genetic engineering tool of the day, less than a decade old in its present form.  It's potential seems endless and boundless to serve and help humanity, but it can do undesirable things also if in the wrong hands, or by mistake. The link below was written to help students learn the basics of Crispr technology.

 

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/explainer-how-crispr-works

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, florduh said:

I only said the science works. I didn't comment on predatory capitalist interests abusing their power. Monsanto's behavior is typical in every area of American industry, not just GMO.

  

Sorry, Florduh, I didn't mean to imply statements that you didn't make. Bringing Monsanto's litigiousness into it was not a good example. What I was trying to say is that, while the science works, there are unintended consequences. The farmer who does not want a particular GMO crop cannot prevent the cross pollination. There was an organic farmer in our area who had to sell his land and move his whole operation in part because of this. So the issue then becomes how to control any such modification so it is limited to the areas where it is wanted — a new challenge for the scientists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For it.

 

We've been genetically modifying things all along. It's why we have cauliflower, broccoli, kale, cabbage, and brussels sprouts, and not just wild mustard. The only real difference nowadays is that genes are being modified more specifically than before.

 

No comment at all about the behaviours of specific companies. Good things get abused all the time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.