Goodbye Jesus

Personality

FreeFromGuilt

Anyone else notice a positive personality change in themselves after leaving Christianity? 

Our pastor always told us we should be the best worker at our job. Something about having a good testimony for Christ... I've always been a good worker, but was afraid to share my ideas (if they contradicted someone else). I didn't want to risk upsetting someone and hurt my testimony by speaking my mind.

Every since I stopped believing a few months ago, I've slowly started allowing myself to become more bold. My shy, timid personality is being replaced with confidence in my ideas and abilities. It's a little scary lol, but it's great to have my voice heard! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I curse a hell of a lot more than I once did. I never set out to hurt anyone's feelings, but I will say what's on my mind more forcefully than I did when I was a christian.

I drink alcohol now (not that much), whereas before, I never touched the stuff. 

I can't think of any more alterations, but if they come to mind, I will post about them.

• Super Moderator

My morals, integrity, and intellect are much more significant to me now that they really are my own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I became much more open-minded (especially politically) and far less judgmental of others and other lifestyles,  also started enjoying things that I would not allow myself to previously enjoy (from the smallest things, like a dirty joke) to more adventurous things. I've allowed myself to explore things I previously thought I should not venture towards (like reading erotica, or eastern philosophy, or other spiritual explorations) -without guilt. It has come with a price, but for the most part, I continue to try to enjoy this journey.

• Like 2

I think my "morality" actually improved some. And I learned to enjoy dancing!

• Like 1

Definitely!  My adult anxiety disappeared.  I became much more confident in my speech and social settings.  And, amazingly, even my legacy church friends noticed a "positive" difference.  Had more than one tell me they liked mr better "this way" (as opposed to Christ commanded meek, I guess).  

• Like 2

I might add that my sense of peace and wellbeing definitely improved.  No more antidepressants!

• Like 1

@FreeFromGuilt,

Yup, More confident and bold. Care less what fundies think.

BTW: what is animals cooking? Do yo skin them first?...

image.png.2a414a1c3c54e9e52067332d984502d4.png

@MOHOOn my screen it looked like a list. I guess I should have added the word "and" lol

• Haha 1

I’m disappointed it’s not you in your house being instructed in cooking from your animal teachers. Sigh. 

Back to the topic...The biggest change for me is feeling free to spend my time how I wish guilt free. I no longer feel guilty for not spending every waking moment “in the Word.”  I spent so much time studying it but when I was pursuing creative things I wanted to do - even if I was making something for someone else - I felt like I was doing something wrong. I was weighed down with guilt and shame over things like attending a craft event and enjoying it! 🤦‍♀️  I enjoy & appreciate life SO much more now! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
36 minutes ago, SarahJaneSmith said:

I no longer and feel guilty for not spending every waking moment “in the Word.”

When U2's album "All That You Can't Leave Behind" came out, I had a chance to buy the CD at the airport in Dublin.  But there was a Max Lucado book there for the same price...

I felt guilty about the first new car I bought.  I should have got a used one so I could put more money in the collection plate.