Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Myrkhoos

The worst possible version of the afterlife

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I was thinking, what do you guys think the worst possible outcome for an afterlife would be? I am doing this as a kind of therapeutic exercise, to confront the worst possible scenario. Feel free to contribute or ignore.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Groundhog Day scenario.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The odds of any brain function after death are crazy low. Related to this there was a good sized experiment done in a hospital where a shelf in a cardiac surgery room 000was placed just high enough that no one could see what was placed on it. Then different objects were placed on the shelf before every surgery to see if any near death patients might identify what was on the shelf as they floated out of body and watched from above. Not one correctly identified the object on the shelf. Accidents have shown that when various parts of the brain lose function all associated behaviors cease. There is zero evidence for any type of eternal object or being and zero for any eternity. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

Hello,

 

I was thinking, what do you guys think the worst possible outcome for an afterlife would be? I am doing this as a kind of therapeutic exercise, to confront the worst possible scenario. Feel free to contribute or ignore.

 

 

 

I’m not sure this would be a helpful exercise, to be honest.  Yes it can be helpful in life situations to think about the worst plausible outcome, such as: what would happen if I were to lose my job?  I might say the worst possible scenario would be one where I am never able to get another job, run through my state Unemployment Assistance benefits, use up all my savings, and end up homeless and hungry.  That’s not a plausible scenario though:  it’s very likely that I would find a job in my field within a few months at most, or some other kind of job within days or weeks.  I would only consider scenarios that have happened to real people in the real world.

 

Imagining what happens after death, we have no data, except the evidence that all human bodies and brains eventually disintegrate after death.  But let’s suppose I take the worst imaginable outcome, where I suffer pain, fear and anxiety for all eternity.  Maybe that is the fate of all those of us who don’t practice Shia Islam?  Who knows?  Or maybe it happens to every human being?  Who knows?  Do you see why this is a pointless exercise?  The best we can do is live our lives as best we know how to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being forced to watch Wood Allen movies over and over..

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there is no afterlife but if there was one, the worst would be to be confined in a room with politicians. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Trump news conferences with no option to turn it off. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TABA said:

 

I’m not sure this would be a helpful exercise, to be honest.  Yes it can be helpful in life situations to think about the worst plausible outcome, such as: what would happen if I were to lose my job?  I might say the worst possible scenario would be one where I am never able to get another job, run through my state Unemployment Assistance benefits, use up all my savings, and end up homeless and hungry.  That’s not a plausible scenario though:  it’s very likely that I would find a job in my field within a few months at most, or some other kind of job within days or weeks.  I would only consider scenarios that have happened to real people in the real world.

 

Imagining what happens after death, we have no data, except the evidence that all human bodies and brains eventually disintegrate after death.  But let’s suppose I take the worst imaginable outcome, where I suffer pain, fear and anxiety for all eternity.  Maybe that is the fate of all those of us who don’t practice Shia Islam?  Who knows?  Or maybe it happens to every human being?  Who knows?  Do you see why this is a pointless exercise?  The best we can do is live our lives as best we know how to do.

Well it might seem pointless to you and even actually be, but it does help me. I think finding peace and confronting the worst possible outcome is helpful. It is helpful in general to think in this life what would I do if there was a war or a freak accident or ...A PANDEMIC . People think and prepare in advance for catastrophic events, personal and collective. Of low probability. The whole reason for insurance agencies to exist. 

      For me saying there is no evidence does not work because there are many things I do not know off which still impact me and humanity. Again current events. Viruses were not well known until recently yet they existed and greatly impacted us.

       For me the best life includes preparing in some way for the worst.

      I get this might be illogical for someone else. Maybe even harmful expressed in that way. That is why I said feel free to contribute or ignore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really, any kind of immortality will get extremely boring eventually.  Even the inevitable "deaths" associated with reincarnation would become somewhat run-of-the-mill after the first dozen or so.  I can't think of a worse afterlife scenario than eternal boredom, which applies to them all.  Hell, I can hardly stand boredom in this life.  Give me about 10 minutes of inactivity and I'm ready to get up and do something.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

For me the best life includes preparing in some way for the worst.

I do understand how this is an attempt to alleviate anxiety, but how can one mentally prepare for what is unknown?

 

If an afterlife seems plausible, maybe explore all beliefs about it before trying to prepare?

https://www.encyclopedia.com/science/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/how-major-religions-view-afterlife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not look at the best possible version of THIS life?  Something you know is real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Weezer said:

Why not look at the best possible version of THIS life?  Something you know is real.

There was this funny quote. I m worried about the bad. The good, if it comes, will sort itself out. :)) But I get your point. That is also a point of focus. I am trying to build a worldview and taking it from many points of view. It is still in construction so it looks pretty messy but I hope it will straighten out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2020 at 12:41 AM, Myrkhoos said:

Well it might seem pointless to you and even actually be, but it does help me. I think finding peace and confronting the worst possible outcome is helpful. It is helpful in general to think in this life what would I do if there was a war or a freak accident or ...A PANDEMIC . People think and prepare in advance for catastrophic events, personal and collective. Of low probability. The whole reason for insurance agencies to exist. 

      For me saying there is no evidence does not work because there are many things I do not know off which still impact me and humanity. Again current events. Viruses were not well known until recently yet they existed and greatly impacted us.

       For me the best life includes preparing in some way for the worst.

      I get this might be illogical for someone else. Maybe even harmful expressed in that way. That is why I said feel free to contribute or ignore.

What things do you not know that still impact you? 

Are you open to the possibility of an afterlife?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worst possible version of any afterlife (real or myth) is the one depicted by fire and brimstone preachers throughout xianity. There is enough evidence from scholars examining archives and tablets found in various discoveries of ancient communities over the past 100's of years, to conclude that the concept of hell was not present the in first several version of the Bible. So, the very concept is tactic is used to scare people into a tizzy wherein they are more easily manipulated.

 

So I think that most would agree hell, the fire and brimstone version, would be the worst case scenario and this is the very reason it is so ubiquitous.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2020 at 9:27 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Really, any kind of immortality will get extremely boring eventually.  Even the inevitable "deaths" associated with reincarnation would become somewhat run-of-the-mill after the first dozen or so.  I can't think of a worse afterlife scenario than eternal boredom, which applies to them all.  Hell, I can hardly stand boredom in this life.  Give me about 10 minutes of inactivity and I'm ready to get up and do something.  

 

But, if I didn't know everything, then I probably wouldn't get bored. There'd always be more to learn and discover about something or another. So I'd be fine with going on and on in that case. 

 

Enter knowing everything. Now that might get entirely too boring. 

 

So that's probably my worst afterlife scenario. Knowing everything while existing forever. But wait, that means that my worst imaginable afterlife scenarios would be a akin to being YHWH himself. Mythological thinkers in the bronze age were so dull and un-creative.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 4:24 PM, Myrkhoos said:

 

 

I was thinking, what do you guys think the worst possible outcome for an afterlife would be? 

 

 

The Xtian one, their vision of afterlife is evil

Hell is the worst torture and torment a evil human mind could ever make up. Same with the Quran Hell

 

And heaven, sitting at the right hand side of Jesus FOR ETERNITY would be brain numbing to say the least. Youd be bored after a few months yet youve still got to be sitting there forever and ever and ever before you can get up and leave....which by the way means you can never get up and leave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Steviejay said:

which by the way means you can never get up and leave.

What if I need to pee?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

What if I need to pee?

Then urine trouble.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, florduh said:

Then urine trouble.

Perhaps this is a question for the Bladder Day Saints, though it might make them feel flush. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

What if I need to pee?

 

It doesn't say in the Bible that the seat on his right hand side is a normal seat. Sure god has thought about this and so you will probably be sitting on a toilet seat for all eternity......

 

I do not have a shred of evidence for this but if you just BELIEVE then your private parts will be saved. Sitting on the John ch 3 v 16

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Perhaps this is a question for the Bladder Day Saints, though it might make them feel flush. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Perhaps this is a question for the Bladder Day Saints, though it might make them feel flush. 

 

In the words of Urethra Franklin, I say a little prayer for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the idea of living forever, even in heaven.

 

Do any activity, even ones you love, over and over and over, and you start hating it. When you have infinity you will do all things you can possibly do infinite times. That would drive anyone crazy. So short of 'God' giving us a lobotomy for attending infinite heaven then the idea of a spirit me doing the same things for infinity is probably the worst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Probably the idea of living forever, even in heaven.

 

Do any activity, even ones you love, over and over and over, and you start hating it. When you have infinity you will do all things you can possibly do infinite times. That would drive anyone crazy. So short of 'God' giving us a lobotomy for attending infinite heaven then the idea of a spirit me doing the same things for infinity is probably the worst.

Even fishing???? Sorry, couldn't resist 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Even fishing???? Sorry, couldn't resist 😜

 

Yep, even fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.