Goodbye Jesus

The worst possible version of the afterlife

Myrkhoos

11 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Probably the idea of living forever, even in heaven.

Do any activity, even ones you love, over and over and over, and you start hating it. When you have infinity you will do all things you can possibly do infinite times. That would drive anyone crazy. So short of 'God' giving us a lobotomy for attending infinite heaven then the idea of a spirit me doing the same things for infinity is probably the worst.

This would be true if we were living forever in an imperfect world where there are only finitely many things to do, but heaven is supposed to be perfect. I can imagine a perfect heaven where there are infinitely many things to do, so nothing gets stale.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Probably the idea of living forever, even in heaven.

Do any activity, even ones you love, over and over and over, and you start hating it. When you have infinity you will do all things you can possibly do infinite times. That would drive anyone crazy. So short of 'God' giving us a lobotomy for attending infinite heaven then the idea of a spirit me doing the same things for infinity is probably the worst.

I never had that idea of heaven. Heaven was about an infinetly blissful journey more and more into God. Plus I always imagined I would not even have the organs to sense boredom or any kind of suffering. 

1 hour ago, Myrkhoos said:

I never had that idea of heaven. Heaven was about an infinetly blissful journey more and more into God. Plus I always imagined I would not even have the organs to sense boredom or any kind of suffering. 

🍷🍷🍷

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, disillusioned said:

I can imagine a perfect heaven where there are infinitely many things to do, so nothing gets stale.

I'm not sure about that.  If you can imagine it, then, by dint of your finite mind, it is not infinite.  In theory, sure, I can "imagine" something involving the word infinite; but in practice, as soon as I actually start to imagine it, it becomes finite.

god's ways are mysterious, I reckon.

7 hours ago, disillusioned said:

This would be true if we were living forever in an imperfect world where there are only finitely many things to do, but heaven is supposed to be perfect. I can imagine a perfect heaven where there are infinitely many things to do, so nothing gets stale.

Certainly we can imagine it. I guess I'm thinking of all possible things you could do in the current universe, but eventually with infinite time you'd run out of things to do.

However the heaven of the bible basically states our days will be passed singing the praises of God and worshiping him.

It didn't mention fishing!

So it's like hell, but with mental torture not physical torture! :D 

I'm reminded of the Queen song: Who wants to live forever

Also Visions of Atlantis: Nothing Lasts Forever

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Nothing Lasts Forever

Even Cold November Rain. 

6 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I'm not sure about that.  If you can imagine it, then, by dint of your finite mind, it is not infinite.  In theory, sure, I can "imagine" something involving the word infinite; but in practice, as soon as I actually start to imagine it, it becomes finite.

god's ways are mysterious, I reckon.

I don't think this washes. I obviously can't imagine it in its entirety, but I can conceive of new possibilities being continuously created ad infinitum. It's a bit like the natural numbers. Sure, we can't think of them all at once, and any time we think of a list of them that list is finite, but the entire set is well-defined recursively. The ideas involved in constructing the set are finite, but the set itself is infinite.

• Super Moderator
On 5/25/2020 at 8:17 PM, disillusioned said:

I don't think this washes. I obviously can't imagine it in its entirety, but I can conceive of new possibilities being continuously created ad infinitum. It's a bit like the natural numbers. Sure, we can't think of them all at once, and any time we think of a list of them that list is finite, but the entire set is well-defined recursively. The ideas involved in constructing the set are finite, but the set itself is infinite.

Sure.  But the entire set is made up of concepts to which we have previously been exposed.  Can you think of a number you have never imagined before that does not consist of numbers you have known since grammar school?  Now imagine a completely new experience that doesn't in some way involve experiences you have previously had or learned about.

9 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Sure.  But the entire set is made up of concepts to which we have previously been exposed.  Can you think of a number you have never imagined before that does not consist of numbers you have known since grammar school? 

See: transcendental numbers.

9 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Now imagine a completely new experiencectgst doesn't in some way involve experiences you have previously had or learned about.

This is the point: you're right,  I can't imagine the details of such an experience, but I can imagine that an experience that I can't fully conceive of could be possible, or could be made possible. Moreover, I can imagine new possibilities being continuously created.

• Super Moderator
2 minutes ago, disillusioned said:

This is the point: you're right,  I can't imagine the details of such an experience, but I can imagine that an experience that I can't fully conceive of could be possible, or could be made possible. Moreover, I can imagine new possibilities being continuously created.

17 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

In theory, sure, I can "imagine" something involving the word infinite; but in practice, as soon as I actually start to imagine it, it becomes finite.

That's what I said. 

On 5/25/2020 at 3:13 PM, disillusioned said:

The illusion in the bible is that Heaven is perfect. Heaven in the Bible has been around for eternity the same as God. Just before the earth was created 4 billions years ago God cast out a third of the angels because they were sinners, they are now the worst imaginable creatures in the universe. That means around, let say 5 billions years ago God kicked out a third. If you do this sum........ Eternity  - 5 bilion = eternity (or close to it)

Eternity minus 5 Billion years, you basically end up with eternity as the final answer. Therefore Heaven has been full of sin for virtually all eternity and this Xtian god had absolutely no idea, even though he knows the future, that his heaven was full of sin and evil for such a long time

and if this, so called God hadn't a clue then, how do we know for sure that it's not full of sin now as this god seems to not know that much about his own heaven

Obviously the above descriptions show that the Bible Heaven is nothing more than bullshit if you follow the descriptions given in the prehistoric Bible

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steviejay said:

Obviously the above descriptions show that the Bible Heaven is nothing more than bullshit if you follow the descriptions given in the prehistoric Bible

No argument there...

13 hours ago, Steviejay said:

Heaven in the Bible has been around for eternity the same as God

Which came first the heaven or the god? I hadn't thought about heaven being eternal, I think it was creationists who said God is the only eternal thing, but maybe they mean heaven is an aspect of God and not a separate realm? Gets hard to put all the mixed up ideas in order. 

I always thought spirits couldn't feel pain which makes hell pointless from step one. 

56 minutes ago, Wertbag said:

I always thought spirits couldn't feel pain which makes hell pointless from step one. 

Your body is going to be resurrected and restored so you can feel the pain, and God can torture you for eternity!  That's how he gets his jollies.   An infinite orgasm.   (Oh my gosh, he's going to get me for that one) JUST KIDDING, GOD!

• Haha 3

I really made god mad.  He came to me in a vision last night and said he is going to turn up the heat on me when I get to Hell.  He was also ranting and raving about so many people being cremated these days.  Says it is much harder to restore dead bodies when they have been cremated, and if they scatter the ashes, it is a lot of trouble to collect all those tiny pieces.   HA!  Just to spite him, I decided last night I would be cremated and have my ashes scattered from an airplane.  If we all do that, it will be something to keep him busy for a few eons.

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2020 at 3:41 PM, Weezer said:

Your body is going to be resurrected and restored so you can feel the pain

So it's not a spiritual realm but a physical one? Does that mean we still need to eat, sleep and we can be injured? Can I punch someone in heaven? So many confusing ideas... 

8 hours ago, Wertbag said:

So it's not a spiritual realm but a physical one? Does that mean we still need to eat, sleep and we can be injured? Can I punch someone in heaven? So many confusing ideas... 

Sure, it is a physical realm.  Haven't you read about it's streets of gold?  By the way, you will have to wear soft soled shoes so you don't mar the finish.  Yes, you have to eat, and there is any kind of food you want.  All you have to do is bow your head and pray for what you want and it will be delivered to you.  You make your own schedule and can sleep whenever you want to.  No, you can't be injured.  Care is taken that everyone is safe in heaven. You can punch someone if you have a reason to do so, but you have to get permission first, it has to be supervised, and you have to wear a very heavily padded boxing glove so you don't hurt them.  

Hey, I think you might like this feature.  There is no marriage in heaven, and no jealousy, so you can "make out" with anyone who wants to make out with you, and gender doesn't matter.  Anything goes, as long as no one gets hurt.   

So, be good boys and girls, go through the rituals at church, and do whatever the leaders tell you to do, and you can enjoy heaven in the afterlife!  Just think.  You get to do whatever you want to do for eternity!

And it is physical in Hell.  Fire and heat can't hurt a spirit.

• Haha 1

It looks like my effort at humor went over like a lead balloon. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Weezer said:

It looks like my effort at humor went over like a lead balloon. 

:) altough in orthodox imagery hell and heaven were sometimes all spiritual sometimes all physical with palaces goid food etc hierachy of power but no sex. Now it always seems simehow funny. So all the pleasures but not sex? Christianity and sex really do have a weird relationship I give you that.