Goodbye Jesus

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT.

LeiaBryant

6 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

I want justice and not revenge. Justice unlike revenge is proportional to the wrong done to me. If anything I do is disproportional I want to be criticized for it. My goal is justice so what is wrong with that?

Leia,

I wish you well.

Thank you.

Walter.

Well, first,

I think a support group, if that really is a support group is very good. Telling a trauma survivor to just forget about the trauma is 1. almost never effective 2. retraumatising in itself. Nobody would say to a person with a leg injury to just forget about it, don t talk about it, stop going to the doctort, etc. 3. Rather hurtful and dismissive to the receiver of such words. Would you tell a recent widow to stop with the tears and just move on, go to parties, enjoy freedom?

Second, if that is a more intense version of a controlling group, with massive psychological damage, exposing it and providing a safe heaven is worth it.

BUT, and I STRESS BUT, it would be very good to have the advice or supervision of an experienced therapist. Otherwise, proceed with caution. The proverbial road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

The thing about the dentist is an incorrect analogy. IF you have tooth decay, you don't just SKIP thinking about it, you go to the dentist. 

The word "cult" is usually defined as a an extreme authoritarian group. My view is that Christianity kind of fits in its theology, but , in practice, there are very, very different interpretations and practices. I mean there are groups that discourage under threat of Hell critical thinking and use violence against members, and groups that encourage at least some level of inquiry and use very little if any corporal punishment and are generally opposed to it. So, in the usual sense of the word "cult" people refer more to practices, than beliefs. And things are on a spectrum. For example, take ISIS. It is clear that is a violent, extreme, authoritarian version of Islam. In my view, actual theological Islam is kind of like that, but few people take to that extreme. I mean Muhammad started his empire as a marauding conqueror, and his first heirs in the same way. , but that is a different discussion. Point is, most Muslim would not go out and chop the heads of non belivers and destroy ancient monuments, on the contrary. Many, the majority maybe, are against it.

H

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

H

QFT

14 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

Well, first,

I think a support group, if that really is a support group is very good. Telling a trauma survivor to just forget about the trauma is 1. almost never effective 2. retraumatising in itself. Nobody would say to a person with a leg injury to just forget about it, don t talk about it, stop going to the doctort, etc. 3. Rather hurtful and dismissive to the receiver of such words. Would you tell a recent widow to stop with the tears and just move on, go to parties, enjoy freedom?

Second, if that is a more intense version of a controlling group, with massive psychological damage, exposing it and providing a safe heaven is worth it.

BUT, and I STRESS BUT, it would be very good to have the advice or supervision of an experienced therapist. Otherwise, proceed with caution. The proverbial road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

The thing about the dentist is an incorrect analogy. IF you have tooth decay, you don't just SKIP thinking about it, you go to the dentist. 

The word "cult" is usually defined as a an extreme authoritarian group. My view is that Christianity kind of fits in its theology, but , in practice, there are very, very different interpretations and practices. I mean there are groups that discourage under threat of Hell critical thinking and use violence against members, and groups that encourage at least some level of inquiry and use very little if any corporal punishment and are generally opposed to it. So, in the usual sense of the word "cult" people refer more to practices, than beliefs. And things are on a spectrum. For example, take ISIS. It is clear that is a violent, extreme, authoritarian version of Islam. In my view, actual theological Islam is kind of like that, but few people take to that extreme. I mean Muhammad started his empire as a marauding conqueror, and his first heirs in the same way. , but that is a different discussion. Point is, most Muslim would not go out and chop the heads of non belivers and destroy ancient monuments, on the contrary. Many, the majority maybe, are against it.

I will get the advice of my therapist once I speak to her next time.  My goal is to fight against cults (high control groups) normal Christians aren't that bad.

3 minutes ago, LeiaBryant said:

I will get the advice of my therapist once I speak to her next time.  My goal is to fight against cults (high control groups) normal Christians aren't that bad.

Ok. That was what I was alluding to. Succes in all good things :)