Goodbye Jesus

Xtian rocker no longer a believer

MOHO

John Steinguard announces his renouncement.

Sights problem in Bible that rampant misogyny indicates books where written by, and in the interest of, ancient men of the time(s).

Smart boy!

I wonder how many of his fans will take note...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/hawk-nelson-religion-christian-rock-songs-god-a9533286.html

• Like 7

Not familiar with his music, but glad that he's using his mind and isn't willing to accept misdirection as an answer. 

I saw that article on my news feed app.  I was surprised that Fox news is making it a headline.  Would have thought they would hide it, but glad they are not.

Thanks for posting. I'm familiar with the band name but not their music offhand.

I feel for him. Having played in Christian rock bands myself, I'm a bit relieved that we were never fully established in the CCM world. I can only imagine the kind of crap in print and online I'd have had to deal with if I came to the realization it's all bunk after being a recognizable name in music ministry. 

• Like 1

“Secondly, I have had private conversations with trusted friends about my doubts, and discovered to my absolute shock that they are shared by nearly every close friend my age who also grew up in the church.  I am stunned by the number of people in visible positions within Christian circles that feel the same way as I do.”

Here’s the Instagram post where he came out as Ex-Christian:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Weezer said:

I saw that article on my news feed app.  I was surprised that Fox news is making it a headline.  Would have thought they would hide it, but glad they are not.

Fox knows its readers need an enemy to chew on.  Caleb Parke is the one currently assigned to get Fox readers fired up on God's behalf.  That assignment used to belong to the inimitable Todd Starnes.

• Like 1

I sent an email to Jon inviting him to this website.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Weezer said:

I sent an email to Jon inviting him to this website.

Nice! Hopefully he will check in to the ex christian online community. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I wonder if he will be shocked to find out how many people dismiss him by claiming "he never was a *real* christian - I knew it all along!". Wishing him luck on the long and difficult journey to truth~!

• 2 months later...

"I was asking about a verse in 1 Timothy that seems really oppressive of women. It indicates that women shouldn't be in church leadership, shouldn't teach men, and shouldn't wear their hair in braids. To me, that seemed less like the message of the loving God that most Christians believe in now, and more like the ideas that would have been present in the culture at the time," he wrote. "...a male-dominated society where women were treated less like equals and more like property."

That was the exact passage that started my deconversion.  I had been raised in a proper Presbyterian church with a silk robed choir and large symphonic organ, but at home this was enhanced by beliefs that the Bible is the inerrant Word Of God, the Blood of Jesus, etc.  I expect more than a few can relate to the high expectations of a young person starting to read the Bible in earnest for the first time:

• This book will contain amazing insights, beyond the mind set of mere humans.
  • This book will speak to me directly on how to live fully.  I will receive instructions directly from God.
  • This book contains no errors.
  • This book will be written exquisitely, with creativity and imagery far surpassing human authors.

So I can relate to John Steinguard, struggling through many turgid, contradictory, and violent passages to finally arrive at the verse quoted above.  My interpretation was that women shouldn't just be quiet, but must remain => SILENT! (echo - echo - echo) <= in the Church.  I was like "This is clearly an error!  WTF?"  And the downward spiral began.

- DroidGnosis

• Like 4

15 hours ago, DroidGnosis said:

I expect more than a few can relate to the high expectations of a young person starting to read the Bible in earnest for the first time:

• This book will contain amazing insights, beyond the mind set of mere humans.
  • This book will speak to me directly on how to live fully.  I will receive instructions directly from God.
  • This book contains no errors.
  • This book will be written exquisitely, with creativity and imagery far surpassing human authors.

I am one of those of whom you speak! One of the attributes of God that was pounded into me was that He was unchanging. So imagine my surprise when I find three passages in Jeremiah where God reveals that it has never crossed His mind to have anyone sacrifice their children. What about Isaac? And later on, what about Jesus? Also why the confusion about whether salvation consists of faith + works, or faith - works? If there was anything whatsoever that it seems that God would want to be coherent about, wouldn't it be what salvation is?

You appear to be new here. Welcome to Ex-C!

• Like 3